No electrical power

Dennis Crocker

Equipment
Kubota 3010
Aug 2, 2020
Louisiana
Was cutting grass and started to bog down. Disengaged PTO and tractor killed. Now now electrical power, no lights, no gauges no nothing. Turn key and nothing. Battery is hot.

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Check that all the safety switches are working. Check if there is voltage on the battery. If it is 13 volts or better then look for blown fuses.

Still no go then disconnect the ground cable and let it cool off. Take the battery and have it load tested to see if it is damaged. Then I would check the alternator to see if it is charging correctly. If you do not know how to do this remove the alternator and take it to NAPA or an alternator shop and have them bench test it.

The regulator may not have been working correctly and simply over charged the battery.

That is were I would start anyway.

Dennis Crocker

Equipment
Kubota 3010
Aug 2, 2020
Louisiana
Check that all the safety switches are working. Check if there is voltage on the battery. If it is 13 volts or better then look for blown fuses.

Still no go then disconnect the ground cable and let it cool off. Take the battery and have it load tested to see if it is damaged. Then I would check the alternator to see if it is charging correctly. If you do not know how to do this remove the alternator and take it to NAPA or an alternator shop and have them bench test it.

The regulator may not have been working correctly and simply over charged the battery.

That is were I would start anyway.
Thanks. Let me clarify that the battery is not temperature hot. It is a good battery

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Now now electrical power, no lights, no gauges no nothing. Turn key and nothing.
Turn on lights, measure from positive battery post (not clamp) and tractor frame or engine. If low or no volts, problem with negative clamp, cable or frame connection.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
Clean tighten ALL 4 battery cable connections especially where ground cable attaches to tractor frame.

msinc

Equipment
Mx5000 4wd
Jul 29, 2020
Southern Maryland
Just went thru the same symptoms with my tractor...bogging down then cutting off and zero power everything dead. Suggest you verify power to the ignition switch. Sounds just like mine, lost connection to the switch. Switch could be bad also. If no power to the switch then look up line, could be a bad wire or connector and/or a bad main fuse.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
HOT battery could also be shorted/bad cell. Typically a bad cell battery will only have 9-10 volts showing 'at rest'.

msinc

Equipment
Mx5000 4wd
Jul 29, 2020
Southern Maryland
HOT battery could also be shorted/bad cell. Typically a bad cell battery will only have 9-10 volts showing 'at rest'.
As above and already posted the OP said "hot" battery was not referring to the actual temperature, but rather just that it was fully charged and good to go battery.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Not necessarily the op's problem, but I recently had (2) Optima Yellow Top batteries go instantly bad on different machines. They both failed while cranking (normal speed)... Everything then went totally and instantly dead. No lights, no gauges.
The electrical systems on both machines are in proper working order.