No electric power - ZD21

85panther

Equipment
ZD21
Jul 14, 2013
WNY
Hi folks,
My 10 year old ZD21 suddenly stopped running. It acted like it was bogged down, then shut off completely. When I tried to restart it, there was absolutely no activity on the gauges or indicator lights...completely dead. I put an ohm meter across each of the fuses in the little block up near the radiator and they all checked out. This is very perplexing as this has been a great machine for ten seasons. I am very happy with it but stumped...any ideas? Thanks!

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Have you got a master fuse or fusible link?

If the battery is old (original?) it could have with a jolt simply collapsed its internal grid structure and dead-shorted. Real low probability but remotely possible. Had it happen once and opened up battery to prove it.

Possible wiring problem. Start at battery and work backwards checking for voltage.

Much more likely: Consider key switch failure and / or an interlock switch failure. I've seen different interlocks work that 'do' and 'do not' allow dash lights when in 'on' condition depends on how system is designed and whether interlock is 'normally open' or 'normally closed'.

I think your problem calls for time spent troubleshooting with a voltmeter and a wiring diagram to find all the interlocks and fuses. Remember to confirm switch good.

Please post back what you find and how you proceed that we may all learn.

85panther

Equipment
ZD21
Jul 14, 2013
WNY
Thanks Stubbyie...I did trace problem to 40A Fusible link near the starter. It was blown. Checked for other signs of loose connections or dead shorts and found none. Popped off the cover of the fuse and the link looked like it was weakened by corrosion over the years. I replaced it with a new one (Bussmann FLF-40) from Advance Auto and I was back in business!

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
On my ZD21 I found that under the ignition switch there is a big connector plug. There is one wire that is the main power feed, I don't remember the color but it is bigger than the other wires. I found that it had pulled back in the plug socket and was not making contact. Unplug this connector and check all the connections