Next newbie question II

elimsprint

Equipment
Kubota Sunshine ZL1-235 with tiller, FEL and 60" box blade
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
So after sort of figuring out the answer to question 1 I now have a new problem/question. Attached to the front steering is a pivoting arm with a "WW" shaped cutout that follows a pin attached to the front steering. When the steering is turned fully left or right the pivoting arm moves a rod that is attached to a lever at the back bottom of the tractor down near where my FWD shift lever and base speed shift lever go in to the side of the "transmission?" but on the other side. It only moves when the steering is fully turned L or R. I have looked through the manual I have (L235, not ZL1-235) and I can't find anything like it there. Anybody know what it does?

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It might release the rear differential lock when making a turn?

in the picture it looks like it has a vertical link at the rear also? If so where does it go?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
It either Engages or Disengages the front wheel assist when the steering is turned past a certain point.

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
It might release the rear differential lock when making a turn?

in the picture it looks like it has a vertical link at the rear also? If so where does it go?
That was my first thought but this tractor has a heel pedal to engage the dif lock, maybe a block so I can't engage it with the pedal if I'm fully turned? I have to take a cover off to see up further. I will do so and report back after lunch.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That was my first thought but this tractor has a heel pedal to engage the dif lock, maybe a block so I can't engage it with the pedal if I'm fully turned? I have to take a cover off to see up further. I will do so and report back after lunch.
I would assume that Whitetiger’s post has a better chance of being correct than my guess. Front wheel assist may be a different way to say front wheel drive, four wheel drive or something similar. I have also read about something that speeds up the front wheels in a turn so that the tractor turns better and doesn’t just push the front wheels in a straight line but can’t recall what that is called.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
As far as I can tell I don't have power steering so I suspect I don't have front wheel assist either so that's out I think.
Front-wheel assist= powered front axle, front wheel drive. Your 3rd picture shows that you have it.
A tractor that has a powered front axle which has smaller tires than the rear of the tractor does is Front Wheel Assist. The front only assists the rear axle.
A tractor with a powered front axle and the same size tires on all corners is Four Wheel Drive.

Last edited:

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Front-wheel assist= powered front axle, front wheel drive. Your 3rd picture shows that you have it.
OK, I thought you meant power steering assist. It does do something with the 4WD/power assist but at this moment I don't know if it engages or disengages it in a tight turn. My brain says disengages but it will take some experimenting to prove or disprove that theory. Right now I am trying to clean up the hydraulic mess from someone putting on an aftermarket FEL in a less than professional manner but as soon as I have a couple of fittings and a new hose I will be able to start the tractor and try some tests but............
Anybody got any ideas as to how to go about testing this?