Newbie L2501 ordered

Slasher

Equipment
L250/LA 525
Feb 20, 2020
MIddle Jawgia
Hey folks,

I lurked a bunch... I ordered a L2501HST yesterday... Actually just waiting for the rear sliding links to come in and then taking delivery Tuesday morning!!!

Got the loader, 60 in land pride RC, R4 tires filled, quick release skid steer type bucket...just wondering about the 'gotta haves"??? Im already thinking pallet forks (thinking titan), piranha bar, box blade, and canopy (any suggestions)

Have 6 acres homestead that has about 4 acres of pasture (need fencing) that has been neglected for the 8 yrs I've been here and at least 3 years before that...I need to do some landscaping to redirect water and smooth out some yard and pasture... mostly flat and also putting in fencing this spring....

This was not a hard decision choosing the L2501 over the John Deere & Mahindra, but probably would have been happy with NH Workmaster 25, but just felt better about the Bota because of the low rpm engine... and ergonomics!!!

Now I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning...

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Congratulations, I think you will be well pleased! I got the 66" bucket, added Piranha bar. PFL2042 forks, quite handy. BB1260 box blade, wish I would have went to the 1560, need to add some weight for it to dig. I have yet to fill the tires, but that is on the short list. And bought some LEDs to add to the ROPS shortly.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
You will love it. I have 40 hours on my L2501 - not even 1 year old yet.

First thing you should 100% buy is the INNER AIR FILTER. Its about $17 at messicks and is just good insurance. The inner air filter is nixed in the L2501. The airbox is built to take it, so its a 10 second install, but they simply don't include it on this tractor. The outter filter is good and will catch most everything but it will get dirty. Having the inner filter is just a good cheap insurance. it also works to protect any dirt or dust entering the engine when you remove the outter air filter to clean it. There is NO reason not to add it. Its a must buy imo.

you can find it here: https://www.messicks.com/part/ta040-93220/air-filter-inner

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I agree with the inner air filter. It's easiest to install if you remove the outer filter, install the inner one completely, then install the outer one rather than trying to do both at once. I also got the right hand grab rail which matches the included one on the left. The fender holes are there covered by stickers. I did get Pat's Quick Hitch as well to facilitate implement connection. All in all it's a great tractor and I love the simplicity.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
3rd function for a grapple? Grapple is my most used front implement followed by the forks then bucket. Look for threads about rear remotes. Lots of folks with L series wishing they had purchased rear remotes at the time of tractor purchase. Yes it adds a few thousand dollars but saves the headaches of adding it later. I use them for my Top and Tilt on the mower and box blade. It makes it much easier to connect the Quick Hitch to implements too.

JPB7745

Equipment
L2501, B8200 and Ford 3000
Aug 27, 2018
Okatie, SC
Do you have that RH grab bar part # by chance. I still reach for it but it's never there?

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Everyone has beat me to the suggestions. I haven't had a chance to use my tractor as much as I want, and will not be able to use it again until it dries out.....hopefully this spring.

I really enjoy my grapple. I cannot recommend it enough. The backhoe and grapple were the two major reasons I purchased my tractor. The pallet forks are handy. I love the Piranha tooth bar. I bought a tree puller. It was something I could do without, but still pretty cool to use.

I did not think I would need the right fender handle, but yeah, it is good to have, rather than grabbing other parts of the tractor.

Do you have that RH grab bar part # by chance. I still reach for it but it's never there?
Part #: T1060-29470

Slasher

Equipment
L250/LA 525
Feb 20, 2020
MIddle Jawgia
Thanks Y’all

I never thought about the other handle....

I don’t really see the need for the grapple as mostly my land is cleared although it looks like something fun to play with!!!

Last edited:

degoniaorange82

Equipment
l2501hst, 5ft. tiller, box blade and finnish mower, subsoiler and plow
Nov 9, 2017
southwest indiana
2042 forks are way more usefull than you will realize...until you have them. great buy and your choice in the 2501 is great!

JPB7745

Equipment
L2501, B8200 and Ford 3000
Aug 27, 2018
Okatie, SC
Thanks for that grab handle part #.

One thing you will see quickly is the small transmission cover between your feet loosing paint from your feet steeping on it. I found a 12x12 piece of peel and stick rubber diamond plate (harbor freight) that I put on the cover to help prevent rust.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Thanks for that grab handle part #.

One thing you will see quickly is the small transmission cover between your feet loosing paint from your feet steeping on it. I found a 12x12 piece of peel and stick rubber diamond plate (harbor freight) that I put on the cover to help prevent rust.
Youre not lieing. 40 hours on mine and already big rub mark on the corner of that hump. I feel like I dont ever even bump or touch it though, but I clearly do without thinking about it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Placing a rubber mat over steel can actually encourage rust because it will trap moisture beneath the mat.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Hey folks,

I lurked a bunch... I ordered a L2501HST yesterday... Actually just waiting for the rear sliding links to come in and then taking delivery Tuesday morning!!!

Got the loader, 60 in land pride RC, R4 tires filled, quick release skid steer type bucket...just wondering about the 'gotta haves"??? Im already thinking pallet forks (thinking titan), piranha bar, box blade, and canopy (any suggestions)

Have 6 acres homestead that has about 4 acres of pasture (need fencing) that has been neglected for the 8 yrs I've been here and at least 3 years before that...I need to do some landscaping to redirect water and smooth out some yard and pasture... mostly flat and also putting in fencing this spring....

This was not a hard decision choosing the L2501 over the John Deere & Mahindra, but probably would have been happy with NH Workmaster 25, but just felt better about the Bota because of the low rpm engine... and ergonomics!!!

Now I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning...
Yours is just like mine to a t. Good job on the rear sliding links assuming you mean the telescopic links. The turn buckles are bs and time consuming.

I have had mine for over a year and cant think of anything I should have bought besides a block heater. (Im planning on adding one this summer/ fall since I believe the manual wants you to change the coolant out every 2 years.) You shouldnt have that issue.

I guess I wish I had a backhoe, but I am still undecided on whether or not I would get $7500 worth of work out of it.

Last edited:

Slasher

Equipment
L250/LA 525
Feb 20, 2020
MIddle Jawgia
Yours is just like mine to a t. Good job on the rear sliding links assuming you mean the telescopic links. The turn buckles are bs and time consuming.

I guess I wish I had a backhoe, but I am still undecided on whether or not I would get $7500 worth of work out of it.
yep telescoping links!!! I’m such a newb!!!

Backhoe looked like a cool tool.... but honestly I can use a subsoiler to run wire or pvc water line... or be way ahead renting a mini-x

I’m really lucky that mostly my property is mostly cleared... next is a box blade as I have some drainage issues and am looking at doing some dirt moving and reclaiming my pastures....

It’s so hard to wait!!!