New winter project: Rebuilding the steering box, again.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
While winterizing my equipment and vehicles today, I found a Winter project that I am not very happy about for my L175. I had to add some anti-freeze to get the freeze point low enough, so I decided to run it down the gravel road to my neighbors to get it warm and circulating to mix well. Big surprise when I put got to about half throttle in 8th.

It seems the steering has gotten very loose since I last ran it a couple of months ago. Loose enough that it is scary in road gear, actually any gear in high range. Drifts worse than the 9N Ford with trailer house tires on front we used as a loader tractor when I was a kid.

I rebuilt the box four or five years ago, it acts like it has lost some of the ball bearings in the worm gear. There is about a half turn of slop in the wheel now. Anybody think this is possible?

My only other idea is the bottom of the steering box finally broke out, giving no support to the lower end of the steering shaft.

I only use it for a lawn mower, and to occasionally move trailers; but I found a water cooled diesel Yanmar YM122 with a 48" deck that rides and drives easier, cuts better too. Consequently I hadn't even started the Kubota since August.

Any ideas other than tear it apart and see?

Thanks,

Robert

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is some mechanism to take out some of the play.

From the article #2 on rebuilding the steering boxes (see the full article for more information - select ARTICLES at the top of the page)

Back Off Free Play
Once you are satisfied that everything is tightened up and the steering shaft rotates freely, adjust out the sector shaft free play by turning the adjuster with a slotted screwdriver just to the point that it removes any lateral movement of the sector shaft without making the box difficult to operate. Next, replace the sector shaft cover nut.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Thanks Russell, I'll try that tomorrow; I think it is still supposed warm(ish). I don't remember the adjustment making much if any difference as I was putting everything back together; but if it keeps me from taking it off again I will try it.

I had forgotten about Vic's articles and video regarding the steering boxes; back when I did mine the first time, the best instructions were from a since defunct website in England.

I am almost betting on the box disintegrating, I remember having some pretty nasty cracks last time.

No water should have gotten down the shaft, it has slept in the barn every single night since I brought it home back in 2009.

Robert