New whining noise

dclauria

Equipment
Kubota L4060HSTC, L4479 snowblower, EA 60" grapple, LP GS2584, LP BB2572
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
Good morning,
Just a quick question for all you experts. Yesterday I disconnected the 3rd function hoses underneath my GrandL4060 to reroute them over the frame as recommended by another poster. When I was done I had a loose connection, and when I started it up, I pumped estimated 1/2 -1 gallon of hydraulic fluid on the floor. After fixing the leak, I checked the hydraulic fluid level, but the dipstick showed full. I worked on my driveway for about 1/2 hr - no grapple attached, so I didn't cycle the 3rd function pump. Then I did a little bit of loader work. When I parked it around 4:15, I shut it off then turned the key to on and cycled the loader control- just to release the pressure on all of the lines and set the bucket on the floor. When I returned four hours later, I found that I had left the key on - I heard the radio and I presume the fuel pump running. After jumpstarting it, I did some more loader work, but immediately had a very loud whining noise when driving and operating the loader. Any ideas? Serious? Do I need to bleed a line or did I damage a pump somehow? What should I check 1st? Thanks

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Did you change ranges from say low or medium to high (probably not if you were using the loader). I notice my L series has a bit of a whine in high range, it always has. I’m not certain, but I’d be surprised if the fuel pump was running the whole time the key was on since there was no demand while the engine wasn’t running. I could see it pressuring up once and then just holding the pressure without cycling much, if at all. The glow plugs may have cycled a bit if it was real cold, but even then the engine was at operating temp when shut off so that would reduce the glow plugs cycle for at least a couple hours.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I imagine the noise is probably a hydraulic whine but it could be the alternator belt slipping under a high load since the battery is needing to be charged?

Since you mentioned that you moved hoses on the hydraulic system perhaps one of them is kinked, pinched or incorrectly connected or connected to the incorrect port?

dclauria

Equipment
Kubota L4060HSTC, L4479 snowblower, EA 60" grapple, LP GS2584, LP BB2572
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
So, possibly false alarm. Thank you for your responses. I checked the fluid level today, and it is 1/2 mark low - I don't know if that's 1/2 a quart or gallon. It was nearly continuous whining noise yesterday evening, but when I started it up today, no noise - just briefly in the first minute or so of running when I pushed on the accelerator pedal, but when I backed off on the throttle it went away immediately, and never came back. I operated the loader for about 1/2 hr. So, hopefully just some air in a line, or possibly the alternator belt, but doesn't that run all the time?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The alternator will have more drag when it's charging hard - it creates as much resistance as it needs to put the charge it needs into the battery. So possibly that. I have a vague recollection that my tractor (B2601) whines more loudly when low on fluid, I didn't really notice until the loader didn't want to go properly, topped it off and I'm pretty sure it was quieter. Perhaps it's some pump cavitation or something.