New Tractor Break In

T Man

Equipment
Oct 17, 2014
SE Kansas
I take delivery of a 0 hour 3901 tomorrow and was wondering if there were any engine specific break in procedures before the tractor gets put into full service.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Congratulations!

Owners manual will go over that. Things like glow plug times.

I would suggest double checking fluid levels on arrival, just in case.

Separate purchase of Workshop Manual and Illustrated Parts List for later.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
I second the owners manual. I thought when I got mine it mentioned varying the engine speed for the first XX hours. I also avoided full RPM's until I had a couple of hours on her.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Congrats! You will not be disappointed. I love mine! It is a beast. The manual does touch on break in but is not very thorough. There are some good discussions about break ins on this board. Two schools of thought, run it like you would and break it in for your tasks, it is in fact yours! The other school of thought is not load it down and push it too far because all the metals are still "learning". Either way choose what you feel comfortable with and enjoy the fun! Did you get the HST? Loader? Did you get anyother toys (I mean implements to do the hard work that is so dreaded)? :) Let us know...Pics are encouraged! Welcome to the forum!

tom-ky

Equipment
M7040
May 28, 2012
Ky
With any engine it is good to vary the load and speed during break in.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yeah varying thoughts, I go by the manual occasionally varying RPM and cool down cycles. I don't baby it and work them the day I get them bush hogging, pulling or using the FEL.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I take delivery of a 0 hour 3901 tomorrow and was wondering if there were any engine specific break in procedures before the tractor gets put into full service.

I second everyone else's thoughts. DONT baby it, yet dont work the paint off of it. If your engine max rpm is 3k stay under 2500 for a while, vary engine rpms, many will tell you to do that for the first 50 hours, that is hard to do!:eek: But be easy with it as YOU get use to what it can do. Even new, there is a time to hit max rpm for a moment then back off. There is that sweet spot for whatever you are doing, kinda like driving your truck down the highway, the vibration in your seat tell you that you are right. Get the book too.;)