New tractor. B or L?

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
Bought my first Kubota 19 years ago. A B2150. Been great all these years. My son now has that tractor at his house. So planning to buy a replacement. Considering a 30+ hp with loader and backhoe.

Seen some used like L3240 or B3200. What are the difference between the L and the B?

Also will a tractor with that hp be capable with a backhoe for digging? Tree removal?

A friend has a 3830. Would bigger be a better choice?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I say buy the biggest tractor you can use ,I've never heard anyone say I wished I had bought a smaller tractor. If your replacing a 30 hp tractor buy something in the 40 hp range.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
the L is bigger and is able to dig and lift more. i traded down from a L to B with a cab. and things i used to take for granted is a challenge with the B. but the B has a mid mount mower, is smaller and more maneuverable, just doesn't have as much hydraulic power. and then you have to consider the epa regulations. the B3350 has had issues trying to conform with the standards. so realistically you would want the smaller engine without the smog / exhaust filter or get the larger and more capable L series.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I looked at several B's and L's of similar HP. The L's were about double the weight, with a much stronger loader. Weight gives you traction.

Bruce

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
I have a B3200 and it is an awesome little tractor.

It fits perfectly in my nitch. Light enough for the lawn (when it isn't wet), and big enough to move dirt.

If I could even remotely justify an L - I would have one in a heartbeat.

The frame size and hydraulics are the biggest differences.

I would second the earlier post to buy the biggest tractor you can.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Went from a B7500HST to an L3200HST and like it much better. The L3200 is larger, heavier, more capable and more comfortable to operate. It has 3 ranges and handles a 6' RFM better than the B7500 handled a 5 footer. To give you an idea of the scale, here's a picture taken when the L3200 was delivered. This was about 6 months before building the cab. I sold the B7500 but the old Ford that I bought in '92 is still here.

Attachments

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The L, and Grand L are vastly different tractors, GL heavier, more refined, bigger operator platform and one of the biggest is the HST+ with essentially six rather than three range transmission.

The GL30 doesn't have HST+, but GL40 and 60 do though all hve the added weight etc. over the standard L.

I LOVE the HST+, but in the same condition, I'd take an L3830 over a L3240, to me 32HP just isn't much especially if you add a BH.

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
I bought a L3800 with a BH77 last year and it seems about perfect for my 7 acres (6 acres pasture, 1 acre yard). It's heavy enough to pull a subsoiler and harrow, but still light enough to drive on the yard with R4's, if it isn't too wet. If most of my work was in a yard, I'd probably opt for a B.

With the L3800, if I needed to unload a 4' round bale from a trailer, I think I could, I just wouldn't expect to drive around with it.

As far as a backhoe, I'm finding out that good technique can make up for size and probably the same holds true with size making up for poor technique.

That being said, if I didn't need to do any yard work with it, I would have gone for a GL, just for the added weight and features.

If you could handle something bigger, I seem to see better used deals for tractors in the 50- 60HP range with really low hours.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've owned some "real" tractors in the past, comparable in size to the midsize L series Kubota. But then I had real work to do with them, and never thought much about it. To me, that WAS a "small" tractor. But I don't have a big lot or fields to deal with now, only an 1.3 acre lot and generally needing help with heavy work around the place. I've head so much glowing praise about the smaller B series Kubota, that's what seemed to make sense. I started with an older B7100. It's not a bad little tractor and it's certainly done a fair bit, but it just didn't have the loader, 3 point, or pulling capacity to do all that I wanted done. And these were not jobs where you just take smaller bites and work longer to get it done, it was simply can't get it done. So I thought "I need something bigger". Not much around here except the little B Kubotas, but I found a B2150. Later model, considerably bigger, and with a canopy (so nice in the PHX summer). I never knew or paid attention to ratings on my old tractors, they just did what I expected. But alas, though the B2150 was roughly the same "size", it fell well short in ability to do what I expected. Not the tractor's fault, but rather my expectations of what a tractor that "size" (note, not weight) should do. If I ever buy another Kubota, I can't imagine every considering a B for anything more than a big lawn mower with a light duty convenience loader, so it would have to be an L for me. More likely, if I can find one in good shape with a loader, I'll buy another old MF T-35 or the like. A much simpler and IMO much more "bullet proof" tractor, at least based on my limited experience...

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
After owning my B for a year, I love it, but I know Im upgrading to an L in the near future. Love the HST but a GST or Massey Power Shuttle is acceptable.

I know my loader specs, and my co-worker down the road has a B3200 and while his machine is definitely bigger, his loader is not that much stronger. I would want at least 34hp machine to run a bigger hog, loader with QA, ability to lift 1500lbs. And more operational weight. The MMM is nice, but not a necessity for me. In fact, Id prefer a 3pt finish mower to speed up implement changes.

I just tooled around with another co-workers Massey 1540 which after 10 minutes of operating, really showed my B7610 weak spots. Loader is stout, push button PTO and a cute little turbo that wouldnt let that motor bog. It really has me thinking beyond Orange in the future.