New to welding. Which rods?

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Well I did order a helmet today. It is auto darkening butnit kind of is a cheepo. I will try this new adventure out before I get a better helmet. I see myself only welding once a month or so. (we shall see). I am not typically the person that likes to by anything twice. However with the helmet I chose to. Go figure, it's just my eye site. Oh well.

As for a welding supply store, I haven't looked into one yet. I've had a lot on my plate. I assume you everyone says welding supply they mean a business dedicated to welding and not just a place that sells stuff like tractor supply?

If so, I have a couple of them around but the people that work there (as great as they are) aren't exactly experts in any one thing there.

The forum site pointed out is fabulous, iwill be spending some time there.

I forgot to look at the jaw operated hood until now, I was laughing amd telling my wife about it. I will take a peek now.

Thanks again guys.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, a dedicated shop gives you a better chance of having options, and getting good advice. The local shop I use is Phoenix Welding Supply. Most of the guys there are very knowledgeable. Some from experience, some from simply learning and using their product. I've gotten into some very involved conversations with several that I deal with, these are not Autozone monkeys. Don't know if you have such, or if you'll get someone with real knowledge, but with TSC and the like, it's probably going to be more like asking someone working at Walmart to recommend a car wax or oil brand, you'll have better luck playing the number on Roulette in a back alley of Mexico City.

As for usage, I go months without using my gear. Then there will be a flurry of activity where I use it for hours over a course of days or weeks, then inactivity for a while.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I use the free miller app for welding on my iPhone.
Pretty easy to input type of material, thickness and get an instant chart for rods and amp range etc.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Bad dog,

You crack me up with your analogies!!! Great info.

I will have to look into the app. Sounds excellent for a beginner like myself