New to PTO

Bratwurzt

Equipment
L5450
Nov 20, 2013
Litchfield ct.
Hi all,
I recently picked up a L5450, The PTO lever has a safety switch so the PTO needs to be disengaged to start the tractor. Should I engage the PTO after the tractor starts and operate it with the PTO engaged? I heard this saves on the clutch?
Thanks.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Yes, always engage PTO after tractor is running, actually you have to do it this way.

I always use the clutch with the engine rpm down low to engage PTO. Makes more sense to me to not slam stuff! :cool:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I'm not really sure what you are asking, your tractor has an independent PTO on which use of the foot clutch is not necessary to engage the PTO like on a live PTO. You will only run your PTO when running a PTO implement. To engage, drop your engine speed to a high idle, enough not to bog down upon engagement, do the same when disengaging the PTO. Avoid frequent engagement/disengagement.

Some Kubota owners will use the foot clutch when engaging/disengaging, using the foot clutch for smoother spool up, I am not one of them and while I see no need, it won't hurt anything. I have eight tractors with independent PTO and use them all the same and some were made over thirty years ago, not hurt anything yet.

Maybe I am missing your point though and maybe I don't know about what I am saying.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/3/1/1310-kubota-l5450.html

http://www.tractordata.com/articles/technical/pto.html

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Like T-R I'm just a bit confused with the question.

I also have 2 stage clutches, so what I do may not work for everyone...

Bratwurzt

Equipment
L5450
Nov 20, 2013
Litchfield ct.
My tractor won't start unless the PTO lever is disengaged and the clutch pushed in, after the tractor starts should i engage the PTO even if I do not have anything hooked up to it? Thanks for the fast replys and sorry for confusing people....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No you don't need to engage the PTO, you only need to engage it if your using it to power a piece of equipment.;)

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
TripleR
I agree with what you stated. That's why the pto with a separate hyd clutch is called "independent" unlike the dual stage type pto. Is see no reason ind pto clutch should be engaged when not powering an implement.

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I just wanted to get a confirmation on this important point....

Start PTO with low RPM's? Then increase RPM's.

I am planning on running a Finishing Mower off the PTO, this summer. Is there any chance of stalling the tractor if PTO is engaged with RPM's too low?

jimsdeere1010

Equipment
L4600 4x4 FEL, WD 45, WD 40 Allis Chalmers
Nov 11, 2013
Wayland, Ia
Tsafa,
I usually engage the PTO on every tractor at idle or if a heavy load just above idle. If you do kill the tractor when you engage the PTO just bump the throttle up a little next time on the same implement and put that in your memory. That being said…..If the tractor kills slightly above idle, make sure you don't have something tangled or caught in the tines, blades etc. causing the drag and making the implement harder to turn.