New to me B3300....Front PTO thoughts...

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
Hi all,
I am getting a B3300, which will replace my L225 2WD and L235DT.

One of things I am going to miss, is the front mounted snowblower of my L225.
It was driven off a shaft off the front of the crank to an electric clutch pulley (like an AC pulley)...and then a belt to the Front PTO.

I'm sort of thinking out loud,....but if I remove the bolt that holds the current pulley on the front of the B3300 with a shaft that is threaded and shouldered like the current one, but still hangs a 12v ac pulley off the crank as on the L225....could I add my front snowblower to this unit?
Picture of Crank

What are the drawbacks....even with the HST, this engine produces more HP than my L225, so there shouldn't be a power problem?

100inchhammer

Equipment
B1550, 54" Deck
Feb 28, 2016
Lake Milton, Ohio
I would definitely NOT do that! You will end up with a broken bolt inside your crank at the very least!

If this is something you really want to do, then find a double pulley of the correct diameter and a inner diameter smaller than the splines is your current pulley. Then have me or a local machine shop with a wire edm machine cut the internal splines into your new double pulley. Also I or they will have to make sure the new pulley is machined to the same offset so the belt lines up.

Then you can just bolt the new pulley in place of your old one and retain it with the factory bolt and washer. From there you can run a belt down to a shaft that has another pulley. Somewhere I would install an electric people clutch.

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
I want to run a pulley, that connects to a pulley and gearbox mounted below that runs a front snowblower.

I will take pictures of the arrangement on my L225....I'm looking to duplicate the setup on my B3300

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
Here are some pics of the arrangement on my L225.
Front PTO on L225

A shaft is mated to the crank and exits the front of the frame(thru a bearing). On the shaft sits a 12V Clutch pulley...which when engage turns a belt, which turns a pulley, which is attached to the front PTO for the snowblower.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A shaft connected with a drive coupling,pillow block bearing and shaft to mount the clutch onto.
Not impossible, even using a longer belt and a double pillow block to run the clutch shaft. Just have to offset it.

Have a machinist rework engine pulley to make a bolt on drive flange. Then run a u-joint or whatever.

100inchhammer

Equipment
B1550, 54" Deck
Feb 28, 2016
Lake Milton, Ohio
What I'm saying is run a double pulley down to a front drive shaft. On the drive shaft mount a 12v clutch like you're talking about. This way the only thing that is on the crank is a 2nd pulley and a belt. Your shafts will house all the loads and torsion. The worst you'll do is slip a belt

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
There are more durable alternatives you might wish to learn about.

Smyth Welding and others in Canada are using the drive for a front snow blower from the rear pto.

The drives from the mid or front of the engine are having to reduce the speed of the drive to the blower to 540 rpm in some fashion.

The blowers with the gearbox between the two auger halves use a chain drive on the back of the blower.

Here is another major snow blower manufacturer NORMAND and their stacked gear box shown as D for driving front mounted blowers from the rear pto

Dave M7040

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I like the idea of powering it from the rear PTO. You could accomplish this with a simple chain/belt drive to a shaft going forward mounted with pillow block bearings. I'm thinking the fabrication would be fairly simple. Food for thought.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I like the idea of powering it from the rear PTO. You could accomplish this with a simple chain/belt drive to a shaft going forward mounted with pillow block bearings. I'm thinking the fabrication would be fairly simple. Food for thought.
Yooper

The one thing you have to be careful of in what you are suggesting is that you dont inadvertently reverse the direction of the pto.

I am not saying what you are suggesting is wrong but as a precaution you need to do a simple model with two a pencils piece of cardboard and an elastic just to make certain that the pto going forward is turning the right way when it gets there. Some people can do the thing in their heads I cannot.

You likely know that owners of Grey market Kubota's like B6000 think they got a great deal until they hook something to the pto and it is going backwards.

Then they are desperately seeking a way to reverse the pto. Years ago there were cheap reverser gearboxes on the market but no more.

This image is not even of a Kubota but what is does show a simple way to use a chain drive to reverse things by having more that two sprockets and running the chain on the opposite side on one sprocket. Just food for thought.

Dave M7040

Last edited by a moderator:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Thanks for the heads up, Dave! I never stopped to think about the turning direction. But as your picture shows, it can be overcome. Just getting into the Rube Goldberg side of things.