New Purchase

Logjam

Equipment
F.E.L., back blade and snow plow truck
Mar 21, 2024
Newport, Wa
Hello all. First time poster.
I've been doing some research into a new Kubota tractor. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a L4701. My first question is, and there probably will be many more, Will this tractor handle a Land Pride SGC 1060 grapple?

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872, Defender HD9 XT
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Welcome and yes. If you look at the Land Pride website all products will show what Kubota tractors they are matched for. In this case, it shows matched to L and MX tractors.
IMG_3392.JPEG

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I would look at the Grand L as well. When I was looking in the fall, I priced a Grand L 3560 and 4060 and the 3560 was cheaper than the 4701. The grand L is a much nicer tractor than the 4701. But if you really need that extra HP....

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hello all. First time poster.
I've been doing some research into a new Kubota tractor. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a L4701. My first question is, and there probably will be many more, Will this tractor handle a Land Pride SGC 1060 grapple?
Yes, that's the one recommended for the L4701/4802. It also comes in 72" wide. Have you looked at the MX5400?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Strongly recommend that you advise what you plan to do with the machine, whether you want a cab, anything that you'd drive from a mid-PTO. Give us something to work with, and we can definitely help you spend your money.

Since you said L4701, and Cathy doesn't visit any more, I feel obligated to point out that it's an orphan machine that nobody should buy. :)

Are you looking used L4701, or new L4802? I'd be tempted to go with the newer model, with an HST it's (in my opinion) worth it to have split brakes that you can use, and for the electronic PTO engage.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Logjam

Equipment
F.E.L., back blade and snow plow truck
Mar 21, 2024
Newport, Wa
Thank you all for your replies. I did look at the Grand L series and thought maybe it was a little too much tractor for what I do. I had settled on the 4701 because of it's loader lift capacity. Sounds like it's discontinued though. I'll look at the 4801 and the Grand series again.
I didn't know about the Land Pride web site either. Just goes to show how much I have to learn.
Jim.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thank you all for your replies. I did look at the Grand L series and thought maybe it was a little too much tractor for what I do. I had settled on the 4701 because of it's loader lift capacity. Sounds like it's discontinued though. I'll look at the 4801 and the Grand series again.
I didn't know about the Land Pride web site either. Just goes to show how much I have to learn.
Jim.
I looked at the L4702 three years ago, then looked at the MX. The MX has a lot more lift capacity, and better features than the L4701 (4802) for only a bit more money. It also a lot more robust machine that’s only a few inches larger than the L.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
In broad terms the Grand L (40, 50, 60 series) are more luxurious Ls. With a bit more lift and capability as well. The MX is the next model size up.

The L4802 (current model) or L4701 are top end of the L range. They are similar price to the bottom end of the MX range. The MX is more capable. If you want to do a certain amount of lifting or work, the MX will generally do more than the L. If you are weight or size limited, but need a lot of HP, the L4701/L4802 makes sense. But the bottom of the next model up is usually better buying than the top of the model down.

The Grand L is really a luxury choice, not a value choice. And I'd probably buy it if I had the chance, because it's a great machine.

Anyway, nothing wrong with the L4701/L4802. It's a good and capable machine. We're just pointing out the other models around that price point that you should take a look at to make sure you're making the right choice. If you like a bit of luxury, the Grand L may be better buying - it has luxury and a bit more capability for similar money. If you like more metal for your money, the MX may be better buying. But if you want the most power you can get in an L-size machine, then the L4701/L4802 is it.

For reference - are you doing tasks that require a lot of HP? That usually means blowing snow or running a PTO driven rear implement. Other than those tasks, the L has difficulty using all 47HP.

Reactions: 1 user

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Jim.

The reason I had suggested the Grand L was simply because of the HST Plus transmission that comes in those. It is a MUCH better transmission than what comes in the standard L series. We don't know what your intentions are for this tractor so it's hard to give any advice. But if you are not needing the HP of the 4802, I would seriously look into the 3560 or 4060. They are a much nicer machine than the 4701/4802 and when I priced them this fall, the 3560 was cheaper than the 4802.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Anyway, nothing wrong with the L4701/L4802. It's a good and capable machine. We're just pointing out the other models around that price point that you should take a look at to make sure you're making the right choice. If you like a bit of luxury, the Grand L may be better buying - it has luxury and a bit more capability for similar money. If you like more metal for your money, the MX may be better buying. But if you want the most power you can get in an L-size machine, then the L4701/L4802 is it.
Quoting this post because this is a great summary. These types of posts come up a lot, and as Paul says most folks are just giving you other models to look at if you haven't to make sure you find the best fit for you.

I have a 4701 and cross-shopped the grand Ls and the MX5400. The MX is a lot more machine, but also about $5k more these days than the L4802. The Grand Ls have beefier frames and more features, but less HP (at similar price points). For me, the 4701 was in the sweet spot with greater lift than the standard Ls, larger frame, and adjustible wheels for better stability. I've said before that if I had to do it all over again I may have gone with the 4060LE with the 805 loader, but I do like having the extra PTO hp.

As far as grapples, I'd offer that wider isn't always better (saw someone suggest a wider version of the land pride). I have a 55" grapple and it works great -- have never wished it were wider and appreciate the lighter weight and manuverability.

Reactions: 1 users

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I went with the L4701 vs mx5400 due to availability, trailering with my current truck trailer set up as well as price. I bought mine during the tractor shortage of Covid and it was on the lot. I wanted gear drive and the MX5400 on the lot was hst.
I weighted my rear tires and don’t have any problems at all. My primary uses is pulling various implements. It will also handle round bales but I don’t have to do that a lot. Being as I have the gear drive it has the split brakes. I would have preferred the MX but I’m happy with the L4701

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I'm sure all the tractors you're looking at 0r which have been suggested will work well for you. I love how lots of folks describe the Grand L as the "luxury" tractor. If the HST Plus transmission, more ergonomic placement of the loader controls and rear remote controls, flatter operator's station, suspension seat and better 3 point lift are "luxuries", I guess it is the more luxurious tractor option. My L3560 LE is open station so to me luxury would be a cab with AC, Heat and a radio, oh and maybe a massaging seat. :cool:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm sure all the tractors you're looking at 0r which have been suggested will work well for you. I love how lots of folks describe the Grand L as the "luxury" tractor. If the HST Plus transmission, more ergonomic placement of the loader controls and rear remote controls, flatter operator's station, suspension seat and better 3 point lift are "luxuries", I guess it is the more luxurious tractor option. My L3560 LE is open station so to me luxury would be a cab with AC, Heat and a radio, oh and maybe a massaging seat. :cool:
The layout of the controls in the L60 tractors is definitely more ergonomic than the other compact and subcompact models. The controls for the rear remotes are arranged more like the M tractors. I would like it if the MX controls were like the L6060 or the M6060, but they're ok as they are, just not ideal. As for the L60 transmission, yes, it's a more advanced system, but for me that's not a major appeal of those models for the sort of work I do. The more basic HST in the MX and other models is fine.