New purchase, concerns with dealers...

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Like any other tool, you have to learn how to operate it first before you can comment on its value. I find it interesting that it is sold down under on BX tractors which have limited lifting power. I also wonder what the specs are for the down-under BX compared to its North American cousin.
The specs are identical. There is perhaps less focus on lift and numbers, and more focus on functionality. Also, down under we generally don't get SSQA (wasn't even an option on my B2601), and so usually don't have grapples. In a world where you don't have a quick attach an "all-in-one" implement is much more attractive.

I should also say that putting an SSQA on your tractor reduces lift. People don't talk about that much. But with a 4-in-1 it's a big deal. Wonder whether a pin-on 4-in-1 lifts more or less than an SSQA standard bucket.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious was I.. seems landpride (aka Kubota) HAVE a 4in1 for the BX ! CB0550, Combination Bucket
grabbed the specs... NO mention as to bucket capacity BUT it's 2" narrower, weighs 230#.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The specs are identical. There is perhaps less focus on lift and numbers, and more focus on functionality. Also, down under we generally don't get SSQA (wasn't even an option on my B2601), and so usually don't have grapples. In a world where you don't have a quick attach an "all-in-one" implement is much more attractive.

I should also say that putting an SSQA on your tractor reduces lift. People don't talk about that much. But with a 4-in-1 it's a big deal. Wonder whether a pin-on 4-in-1 lifts more or less than an SSQA standard bucket.
As an example, "Tractor Time With Tim" shows that a typical SSQA mounting plate weighs 88 lbs. (40Kg),....substantially less than the weight increase of a 4-H-1 bucket.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
dang finally found some numbers....
4in1 weighs 100# more than stock bucket BUT holds 1cuft more material

hmm my SSQA mtg plate weighs 1/2 of TTWT 'typical' plate...

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
As an example, "Tractor Time With Tim" shows that a typical SSQA mounting plate weighs 88 lbs. (40Kg),....substantially less than the weight increase of a 4-H-1 bucket.
Plus a couple inches movement of pivot point.

The reality is that most buckets will lift a bucket full of anything you'd put in them. Unless you're lifting cement dust or something.

I personally wouldn't have a 4in1, but loss of lift capacity isn't the reason.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Plus a couple inches movement of pivot point.

The reality is that most buckets will lift a bucket full of anything you'd put in them. Unless you're lifting cement dust or something.

I personally wouldn't have a 4in1, but loss of lift capacity isn't the reason.
I have traveled a lot, and 4-N-1 buckets are relatively rare.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
they kinda remind me of the clamshell buckets draglines USED to have.......

can't really see any great advantages of them,but is there something they are really,really the cat's meow good for ??

seems to be a 'down under' tool ?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
they kinda remind me of the clamshell buckets draglines USED to have.......

can't really see any great advantages of them,but is there something they are really,really the cat's meow good for ??

seems to be a 'down under' tool ?
There's nothing they're really really good at. They're a compromise when you can only have one bucket but you want something that sort of does some of the things a grapple can do, can sort of pick things up, can sort of spread, and still works OK as a bucket.

Nowhere near as good as a grapple, heavier than a standard bucket. But they have a third function so they can grab things.

Again, down under you generally don't get any quick connect (I had to special order the old style pin on quick connect from the US for my B2601 so I could put forks on, and I had to ship it myself which wasn't cheap - Kubota locally simply wouldn't order it), and nobody makes grapples small enough for a small tractor, so even if you had a quick connect and third function kit there's no suitable grapple available again unless you special order from the US.

They have their place. If I lived in the US I'd totally have an SSQA, a grapple and a standard bucket. And some forks. But not everyone has those options.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
If you work with loose materials a lot, a 4N1 keeps you on the tractor more, and having to use a hand shovel less. You can pick up loose dirt, gravel, broken bricks, demo'd items, large and small tree limbs, etc, etc, etc. Heck, even manure and wood shavings. You don't push it around, you grab it. Steam shovels back in the day used split buckets.

I never mastered a 4N1, but I saw some professionals who did. And the labor hours saved, compared to a basic bucket saved the profit margin on many projects. I'm sure my bonuses back then were directly because we had a 4N1 and spent less on manual laborers.

It wasn't a down-under thing, it was simple "Work Smarter not Harder" Technology.
But it was mostly commercial. I couldn't find one in the 1970's for my B7100. Everyone was Bobcat (original skid steer) crazy back then, but Kubota still made it somehow selling compact conventional tractors to small farmers and well-off property owners.

With today's well-off or very blessed people, able to buy large properties and compact tractors, they mostly do not come from a construction or farming background. Probably 90 percent didn't know the ass end from the front of a tractor. Except once they see which way the seat faces. Backhoes throw them off. So, corporate types in suits with master's or doctorate degrees decide to buy a big property and a Kubota. They, respectfully, don't know anything about tractors until they visit places like OTT, YouTube and the local dealer.

As for me, personally, I don't disrespect them. I'm glad that they are here. Kubota is too. I'm glad that they Earned it. I went to college too and did some suit-wearing years myself. But I also got dirty in the field with equipment. Because that was and is, my love.

So, to judge a piece of equipment, like a 4N1, from a zero or low experience background, is possibly a disservice to your own real needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users