New MX5400.

stevenfreeves

Equipment
L3901, KX040-4, Bush Hog Mower, Roto Tiller, PD25, box scraper, Grapple.
Dec 5, 2021
Anderson California
Hi all, thinking about upgrading to a new tractor. Currently I have a L3901, its a good one I get a lot done with it but was thinking about upgrading to the MX5400. What do you think? Any thoughts are welcome. I have on occasion needed more power in the loader and the cab on the 5400 would be nice when working in the dust.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
That’s a great choice. It also has quite a bit stronger loader.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Hi all, thinking about upgrading to a new tractor. Currently I have a L3901, its a good one I get a lot done with it but was thinking about upgrading to the MX5400. What do you think? Any thoughts are welcome. I have on occasion needed more power in the loader and the cab on the 5400 would be nice when working in the dust.
Looked at that very tractor when I bought my L2501. Exclusively for the increase in fel capacity. To answer your question though requires a little more information. The MX5400 is bigger, heavier, uses more fuel etc. I like my 2501 because I can get in places, like my horse stalls, that the 5400 wouldn’t. Easier to store in my barn and is easier on my pasture turf and does less rutting. It also sips diesel. The L3901 is vey close to my 2501 At last in size and weight. The MX5400 is a great tractor and if the cab is your thing you are right, the standard L doesn’t offer one. Other options are the Grand L’s. They can do the cab, can get a mid PTO for snow blower if needed and you can get a size and hp to fit your need. Just some initial thoughts. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I will address the cab, I LIKE my cab. Summer time, heat is not an issue, dust stays on the outside, and bugs are not a problem. Winter time, easy to stay warm if you stay in the cab. Haven't figured out yet how to complete all my work without getting out of my cab, but what work I can do from the cab, sure is nice to be warm and toasty.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I just bought the MX6000 open station (they didn’t have a 5400 in stock). Coming from a smaller frame tractor, I am very impressed with the stability of the MX. Also the loader lift capacity is a beast. I also like the overall layout and simplicity of the tractor. It has everything I need, and nothing that I don’t. The operating station is roomy and easy to access (unlike the L01 series). When I did sit in a cabbed model, it felt less roomy to me.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I upgraded from a BX25D to an MX which is a bigger jump than you're facing. Do you need the extra power and capabilities of the MX enough to warrant the extra cost? I've bought things that I want more than need with no regrets, for the most part, so I completely understand if the desire to upgrade outweighs the need.

If you do upgrade, and if dusty conditions are in your future I would strongly advise that you opt for the cab model. I have an MX6000 open station which is an excellent tractor, but after running a rotary cutter and doing a bunch of dirt removal this past spring/summer and dealing with tremendous amounts of dust I decided to upgrade to the cab model. In a perfect world I would keep both but will most likely sell the open station model to a "friend" if he agrees to the price I want for it.

I don't see many downsides to the cab other than the additional cost and the inability to get into garages or structures with headers under 8 feet (approximately). The extra weight of the cab can help with traction as well but I opted for wheel weights too.

Jared 756

Equipment
MX5400, L3901 and B2601
Jun 9, 2021
Washington st
I had 800 trouble free hours on my MX5200 and loved it!! Until someone ran into something, wrecked the front axle, put a hole in the oil pan and kept going till the engine seized up - be the last time they borrow anything from me

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I don’t believe you can make a bad choice. …keep what you have or buy something else orange. It’s a great time to own a kubota. That being said I believe in open stations. It’s not I don’t like the comfort, but I play in woods and I say oops from time to time…I don’t need glass in the woods. And seaparately I don’t like dirty windows, nor do I enjoy cleaning them. Finally I don’t like doors…I have too many oops. Do some shopping and consider what you use most. Pto, loader, 4WD…anyway which is most comfortable for your situation.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Regarding the Mx is is impressive machine of size weight footprint and capability. I have open station and mine does not have a tilt steering. I do wish it did. My B series has tilt and I miss it when in mx.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Good day. I don’t believe you can make a bad choice. …keep what you have or buy something else orange. It’s a great time to own a kubota. That being said I believe in open stations. It’s not I don’t like the comfort, but I play in woods and I say oops from time to time…I don’t need glass in the woods. And seaparately I don’t like dirty windows, nor do I enjoy cleaning them. Finally I don’t like doors…I have too many oops. Do some shopping and consider what you use most. Pto, loader, 4WD…anyway which is most comfortable for your situation.
I’m the same way. I prefer open station also, except for snow plowing. Sometime I plan on getting a soft cab to go over my canopy for winter snow plowing. For rotary cutter mowing, the dust really doesn’t get too bad because the cutter is pretty far behind me and I also try to mow within a few days of rain. At my high elevation it doesn’t get too hot here in the summer. I enjoy the open air and good visibility of an open station, but wouldn’t be without my shade canopy.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Regarding the Mx is is impressive machine of size weight footprint and capability. I have open station and mine does not have a tilt steering. I do wish it did. My B series has tilt and I miss it when in mx.
I would like tilt steering, but work around that by just adjusting the seat.