New MX5400. Steering problems?

deelowe

Equipment
MX5400, Loader w/ Square Back Bucket, MTL Forks, BB1272 Box Blade
May 26, 2021
West Georgia
Posted this on tractorbynet and I'm getting a few different responses.

I just recently purchased a MX5400 and noticed the steering felt odd. After paying attention for a bit, I noticed that when there's a really heavy load on dirt, the steering wheel will spin, but won't turn the tires. It also does it at times in thick brush. I only noticed, because I was pushing some logs and noticed the tractor wasn't turning. I thought my wheels were off the ground, but it turned out that they just weren't turning. Finally, I can turn the wheel VERY easily when the tractor is off. And, when I do, I can feel a slight notching sort of like a gear or spline slipping. I should maybe add that this tractor has always felt like the steering was super easy. Like camary easy. Being new to this sort of tractor, I thought this was maybe normal.

Can anyone clear up for me here, what's normal and what's not? Should the wheel spin easily with the tractor off? Should I be encountering situations like in the brush where input from the wheel doesn't turn the tires with no obvious signs of resistance? If any of this is an issue, any ideas what it could be? If it's a simple fix, I'd rather do it myself and be back up and running in the morning.

Thanks ahead of time.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm not a mechanic and I didn't sleep at a Holliday Inn last night, but my 2 cents, something is wrong with the steering. I have not experienced anything like that on my L3560. When I turn the steering wheel, the tires turn unless I'm at the limit.

If I understand your description, you are turning the steering wheel and the tires aren't moving at all. Since you said this is a new purchase, I would be getting the dealer involved.

Reactions: 1 user

deelowe

Equipment
May 26, 2021
West Georgia
I'm not a mechanic and I didn't sleep at a Holliday Inn last night, but my 2 cents, something is wrong with the steering. I have not experienced anything like that on my L3560. When I turn the steering wheel, the tires turn unless I'm at the limit.

If I understand your description, you are turning the steering wheel and the tires aren't moving at all. Since you said this is a new purchase, I would be getting the dealer involved.
That’s correct. I’ve instances where I can turn the steering wheel and the wheels don’t turn.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
On my M7060, with a heavy load in the grapple I’ve had times I can’t turn the wheel while stationary, but the steering wheel will not turn and if ya try to ‘force it’ you can sort of feel what I’d assume is the hydraulic relief working. This is with a near max loader limit load. Once the tractor is moving even just a bit steering is no issue. (An airplane I fly is just like this too, too much friction/weight on the wheel to steer) I can’t turn my steering wheel when off (easily) but it does feel notchy if you ‘force’ it but I’m not trying to move it very far for fear of breaking something!!

deelowe

Equipment
May 26, 2021
West Georgia
On my M7060, with a heavy load in the grapple I’ve had times I can’t turn the wheel while stationary, but the steering wheel will not turn and if ya try to ‘force it’ you can sort of feel what I’d assume is the hydraulic relief working. This is with a near max loader limit load. Once the tractor is moving even just a bit steering is no issue. (An airplane I fly is just like this too, too much friction/weight on the wheel to steer) I can’t turn my steering wheel when off (easily) but it does feel notchy if you ‘force’ it but I’m not trying to move it very far for fear of breaking something!!
So it sounds like there is a relief but I should definitely notice it, right? In my case it was definitely not obvious. I wasn’t cranking hard on the wheel or anything.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Something in the control box, or rack piston seal is bad. Wheel should be stiff when machine is off.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So it sounds like there is a relief but I should definitely notice it, right? In my case it was definitely not obvious. I wasn’t cranking hard on the wheel or anything.
I doubt the pressure relief valve wherever it is would be your issue. Note the above poster said his pressure relief valve trips when he tries to turn with a heavy load on the front tires, but the steering wheel doesn’t turn.

Your experience is totally different…

deelowe

Equipment
May 26, 2021
West Georgia
I doubt the pressure relief valve wherever it is would be your issue. Note the above poster said his pressure relief valve trips when he tries to turn with a heavy load on the front tires, but the steering wheel doesn’t turn.

Your experience is totally different…
Interesting. Just tried it again today and I don’t know if I’m misremembering or maybe the issue is worse when the fluid is really hot. There’s a definite stop when I’m turning with a heavy load now but I can somewhat easily keep turning the wheel. There’s no whine or noticeable strain. It’s like it just starts at a certain point.

I’ll post a video in a sec when it’s done uploading to YouTube.

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
I have two MX 5400,s and they don't act like that. One has a loader one doesn't. Dealer time

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Are the rear tires loaded? Do you have anything hanging off the 3 point hitch? If so what?

Crushed lime stone is 170 lb per cubic foot.

If you look at the spec for the LA1065 loader the capacity of the bucket is 10 to 13 cubic feet.

Using 10 cu. ft. times 170 lbs. per cu. ft, equals 1700 lbs. plus 320 for thr bucket equals 2020 lbs.

Without any counter weight I could see this as an over loaded FEL. Thus overloading the front axle of the tractor.

JCALESAN

Equipment
MX6000, BX2360,
Sep 7, 2022
Johnstown PA
Posted this on tractorbynet and I'm getting a few different responses.

I just recently purchased a MX5400 and noticed the steering felt odd. After paying attention for a bit, I noticed that when there's a really heavy load on dirt, the steering wheel will spin, but won't turn the tires. It also does it at times in thick brush. I only noticed, because I was pushing some logs and noticed the tractor wasn't turning. I thought my wheels were off the ground, but it turned out that they just weren't turning. Finally, I can turn the wheel VERY easily when the tractor is off. And, when I do, I can feel a slight notching sort of like a gear or spline slipping. I should maybe add that this tractor has always felt like the steering was super easy. Like camary easy. Being new to this sort of tractor, I thought this was maybe normal.

Can anyone clear up for me here, what's normal and what's not? Should the wheel spin easily with the tractor off? Should I be encountering situations like in the brush where input from the wheel doesn't turn the tires with no obvious signs of resistance? If any of this is an issue, any ideas what it could be? If it's a simple fix, I'd rather do it myself and be back up and running in the morning.

Thanks ahead of time.
Purchased an MX6000 in Spring 2021. noticed a steering problem within the first 10 hours while brush hogging on a slope. it has since made 5 additional trips to the dealer and had the steering box valve, rack and relief valves changed. they also adjusted the pressure to spec. tractor now has 87 hours. the the steering will now lock-up in either direction intermittently or drift. No load in bucket, just brush hogging fields.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Sounds like you have a hydraulic issue elsewhere. My guess would be your fluid is getting hot, or mixing air. Is your machine hst? Do you hear any hissing noises?

JCALESAN

Equipment
MX6000, BX2360,
Sep 7, 2022
Johnstown PA
Sounds like you have a hydraulic issue elsewhere. My guess would be your fluid is getting hot, or mixing air. Is your machine hst? Do you hear any hissing noises?
No noise or hissing. its a MX6 HST cab tractor. also had auxillary ports on front and back. R-4s. I have videos but they are the same as the ones posted. only difference is i dont have a load in the bucket.