New Member with question

wicrules

Equipment
L2501, rotary cutter, box blade, quick hitch
Jan 6, 2023
North Alabama
Hello! I have been looking through the forum for a while now and am about to pull the trigger on a L2501 with FEL, box blade, rotary cutter and tiller. I have 5 acres, 3+ of which is pasture. I have several projects lined up, but have a couple of "how-to" questions. I am new to owning/working with a tractor, so I want to know how to do things right instead of struggling through my projects. So, here goes...

1. I have a 20x40 or so area piled about 2 feet deep with mulched leaves in my pasture. I would like to spread this pile out so that I can bush hog the pasture in the spring without issue. What would be the best way to do this? With the FEL or the box? Or both?
2. I plan on planting a garden this spring, so I want to make a compost pile. I have a stack of very old railroad ties that I want to build a retention area with. I want to clean off the area I plan on putting the pile. This will be in the pasture area as well. Pasture is flat with grass about 6" tall.

Thanks for any help!

Chad

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hello! I have been looking through the forum for a while now and am about to pull the trigger on a L2501 with FEL, box blade, rotary cutter and tiller. I have 5 acres, 3+ of which is pasture. I have several projects lined up, but have a couple of "how-to" questions. I am new to owning/working with a tractor, so I want to know how to do things right instead of struggling through my projects. So, here goes...

1. I have a 20x40 or so area piled about 2 feet deep with mulched leaves in my pasture. I would like to spread this pile out so that I can bush hog the pasture in the spring without issue. What would be the best way to do this? With the FEL or the box? Or both?
2. I plan on planting a garden this spring, so I want to make a compost pile. I have a stack of very old railroad ties that I want to build a retention area with. I want to clean off the area I plan on putting the pile. This will be in the pasture area as well. Pasture is flat with grass about 6" tall.

Thanks for any help!

Chad
Welcome. Congratulations. My first thought is if new to tractors maybe look into some of the thread on ballast…lots to think about there regarding general safe operation if you have not already.

To your actual questions above depending on the type of leaves (some are not good for a garden, but I don’t know what you have - I’d be cautious of leaves from black walnuts or pecans family) you have mulched and want to spread, but I think I would scoop them up and move them to where you till them into you garden space to add to your soil with some natural compost and or mulch. So if need to spread them I would do it there and till in. (Maybe look into ‘growing a greener World’ there was an episode (there is a show and website)in mulching with leaves…maybe combine that with your machine and it will give some idea?)

Mountainhill

Equipment
l2501 (l3800 2013/22), Box Blade, post hole digger, Leon's rear blade
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks for any help!

Chad
Nice tractor 😁
May first want to mulch up leaves with roatry cutter, then wet down or rain day, may help push, pull, carry with FEL and box blade.
Railway ties could pose a problem, leaching of chemicals, not sure it’s an issue for you. I just have a large compost pile that I turn with tractor fel, access on all sides of compost pile is best option. Large tarp to keeps the dog out!
Be sure to get R-1(Ag Ties), to get full use out off you implements.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Regarding composting, be aware that as the material breaks down the resulting dirt will be at the bottom of the pile. You'll need to push the newer material aside to access it. You do need to keep it watered and turned regularly to help speed the composting action.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Railway ties could pose a problem, leaching of chemicals, not sure it’s an issue for you

It is a problem for everyone. RR ties are fine for decorative landscaping, but keep them away from food. There is some nasty stuff in them.

Cinder blocks work for me. I have them dry stacked about 5 rows high, and as long as I don't get too rambunctious with the bucket, they stay in place. It's not ideal, though.

The ideal setup would be a concrete floor and walls, or with cinder block walls.

If you can find a source for cheap surplus highway barriers, that would be a major score. Hard to find, though.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep, RR ties contain all sorts of stuff …All of them Bad for a garden. (oil, creosote, arsenic, copper sulfate….)

Reactions: 1 user

wicrules

Equipment
Jan 6, 2023
North Alabama
Welcome. Congratulations. My first thought is if new to tractors maybe look into some of the thread on ballast…lots to think about there regarding general safe operation if you have not already.

To your actual questions above depending on the type of leaves (some are not good for a garden, but I don’t know what you have - I’d be cautious of leaves from black walnuts or pecans family) you have mulched and want to spread, but I think I would scoop them up and move them to where you till them into you garden space to add to your soil with some natural compost and or mulch. So if need to spread them I would do it there and till in. (Maybe look into ‘growing a greener World’ there was an episode (there is a show and website)in mulching with leaves…maybe combine that with your machine and it will give some idea?)
Nice tractor 😁
May first want to mulch up leaves with roatry cutter, then wet down or rain day, may help push, pull, carry with FEL and box blade.
Railway ties could pose a problem, leaching of chemicals, not sure it’s an issue for you. I just have a large compost pile that I turn with tractor fel, access on all sides of compost pile is best option. Large tarp to keeps the dog out!
Be sure to get R-1(Ag Ties), to get full use out off you implements.
Yeah, I've been on the line about using the ties. Most likely won't use them. As far as the leaves, they are mulched already... the yard sweeper I have mulches as it collects them... most are 1/2" size or smaller pieces. My trees are all oak trees.

I did get the ballast/liquid in the tires.

wicrules

Equipment
Jan 6, 2023
North Alabama
Pulled the trigger on everything this afternoon (they didn't have any tillers in stock)... should be delivered middle of next week. The dealership is going to pick up my RTV520 while they are here and take it in for service... saves me a trip to the dealership.

Reactions: 4 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
.... I think I would scoop them up and move them to where you till them into you garden space to add to your soil with some natural compost and or mulch. So if need to spread them I would do it there and till in.

I agree. Trying to drag them around will be very difficult. Better to scoop them from where they are and dump them here and there where you want them, and then till them in.