New Member/New projects

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Hello to my fellow tractor enthusiasts. Been lurking on and off for awhile now in a totally not creepy I'm WATCHING YOU sort of way....

Anywho, new to Kubota ownership. But familiar with various forms of equipment and such. After a day in town with the wife waiting on an alignment to get wrapped up on her truck we stopped at the orange store for the first time while they were open to just get some prices out of curiosity. One thing led to another and for some reason she forgot her job was to prevent me from making poor financial decisions and encouraged it instead. Not only that I somehow ended up having to wrangle her in on the extra attachments. Here she is the day before delivery getting fitted with the tiller:

1000000281.jpg

Finally home, note the old ford looking sad with a flat tire and its replacement parked behind it:

1000000289.jpg

1000000290.jpg

Of course I can't leave well enough alone so a few accessories needed to be purchased. Nothing crazy; just a canopy, along with a tooth bar and some of Kens hooks. Some may recognize the canopy as an ebay special but I actually bought it because I like the look:

1000000291.jpg

1000000306.jpg

Now for the projects and the reason such a beast was needed. I have found myself on a just shy of 3 acres and for some reason dislike the location of all the ground... So mostly dirt work ahead of the orange beast for its break in hours. I put in a very ambitious garden which I don't have pictures of yet. However the first big project is an above ground pool install. My property is littered with stumps and my burn pit was right where I want the pool. So the started the first 50 and make it a hard 50 startinf with stump removal:

1000000296.jpg

1000000298.jpg

1000000297.jpg

1000000299.jpg

Thats the small ones I fought the last one so hard I forgot to take pics. The burn pit was also dug out to remove any nails and trash from burned wood. Then after a few long hours of clean up and of course, discovering where the previous owners disposed of their trash before trucks ran out here, the ground is tilled and ready to be leveled for the pool:

1000000314.jpg

Hoping to be in by the end of this month but we will see. Gotta level the ground and dig a trench and all that but we are nearly 20 hours in with a bunch of small projects and the first big onw nearly there and I couldn't be happier with the performance of my new little LX. Many more projects, attachments and several new upgrades in the new girls future before hopefully buying enough land to build a homestead carved by yours truly and his new orange tractor. Mabey I'll let that old Ford help out along the way after it gets some much needed love and a bit of time in retirement.

Any tips and tricks on clearing and leveling land is appreciated. Any ideas for upgrades, and doodads are aswell even if the wife doesn't think so!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: pool location...
go N-S, then E-W to try to level the 'pad'. going round and round in circles can 'tilt' the pad.
get a long straight stick(2by4, TJI floor joist ) pinned to center of pool,secure level on outside end and 'walk the clock',raking as required to get ground level, power tamp the 'pad', wlak the clock again and adjust as required. Spend an extra DAY if you need to, to get the pad LEVEL. 'good enough' really ISN'T.It'll really bug you if the water isn't level in the pool and you could be looking at that for 20 years(BTDT....sigh )

as for the rest of the land, wherever stumps were removed, ADD fill and compact, hopefully Mother Nature will rain and help. If you don't, divot ,depressions or craters WILL 'magically' appear a year later ,after the grass is up enough to where you don't want to do it all over,again.

Reactions: 3 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Welcome! Nice introduction and pictures.
Wishing you many happy tractor seat hours as you improve your land.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hello to my fellow tractor enthusiasts. Been lurking on and off for awhile now in a totally not creepy I'm WATCHING YOU sort of way....

Anywho, new to Kubota ownership. But familiar with various forms of equipment and such. After a day in town with the wife waiting on an alignment to get wrapped up on her truck we stopped at the orange store for the first time while they were open to just get some prices out of curiosity. One thing led to another and for some reason she forgot her job was to prevent me from making poor financial decisions and encouraged it instead. Not only that I somehow ended up having to wrangle her in on the extra attachments. Here she is the day before delivery getting fitted with the tiller:

View attachment 104270

Finally home, note the old ford looking sad with a flat tire and its replacement parked behind it:

View attachment 104271
View attachment 104272

Of course I can't leave well enough alone so a few accessories needed to be purchased. Nothing crazy; just a canopy, along with a tooth bar and some of Kens hooks. Some may recognize the canopy as an ebay special but I actually bought it because I like the look:

View attachment 104273
View attachment 104274

Now for the projects and the reason such a beast was needed. I have found myself on a just shy of 3 acres and for some reason dislike the location of all the ground... So mostly dirt work ahead of the orange beast for its break in hours. I put in a very ambitious garden which I don't have pictures of yet. However the first big project is an above ground pool install. My property is littered with stumps and my burn pit was right where I want the pool. So the started the first 50 and make it a hard 50 startinf with stump removal:

View attachment 104276
View attachment 104277
View attachment 104278
View attachment 104279

Thats the small ones I fought the last one so hard I forgot to take pics. The burn pit was also dug out to remove any nails and trash from burned wood. Then after a few long hours of clean up and of course, discovering where the previous owners disposed of their trash before trucks ran out here, the ground is tilled and ready to be leveled for the pool:

View attachment 104284

Hoping to be in by the end of this month but we will see. Gotta level the ground and dig a trench and all that but we are nearly 20 hours in with a bunch of small projects and the first big onw nearly there and I couldn't be happier with the performance of my new little LX. Many more projects, attachments and several new upgrades in the new girls future before hopefully buying enough land to build a homestead carved by yours truly and his new orange tractor. Mabey I'll let that old Ford help out along the way after it gets some much needed love and a bit of time in retirement.

Any tips and tricks on clearing and leveling land is appreciated. Any ideas for upgrades, and doodads are aswell even if the wife doesn't think so!
Since when is buying any Kubota considered to be a poor financial decision ?

Reactions: 3 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
One thing led to another and for some reason she forgot her job was to prevent me from making poor financial decisions and encouraged it instead. Not only that I somehow ended up having to wrangle her in on the extra attachments.
That's a pretty sweet ride man, You're gonna love it..

During her momentary lapse of reason....You forgot the forks.....Just sayin..🍺:)

Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

During her momentary lapse of reason....You forgot the forks.....Just sayin..🍺:)
Yup....
In most situations forks are more useful than the bucket.

Reactions: 2 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Love it and welcome! I too have mostly been land "re-scaping". The toothbar & BB are key.
BTW I am very jealous of your nice soil - mine is very rocky (thus the BH)

I am 3/4 done with a major project that should theoretically require a much bigger machine. I enjoy the seat time and satisfaction and keep telling myself that anyone can "eat an elephant one bite at a time" :p

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Congratulations. Beautiful machine. Now you can
tell your wife " See what a great investment that new tractor was? "

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Since when is buying any Kubota considered to be a poor financial decision ?
every time you cannot afford to buy it !!

Reactions: 1 user

will721

Equipment
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
When it involves zero planning, and you just walk into the dealership just say take my money!

Love it and welcome! I too have mostly been land "re-scaping". The toothbar & BB are key.
BTW I am very jealous of your nice soil - mine is very rocky (thus the BH)

I am 3/4 done with a major project that should theoretically require a much bigger machine. I enjoy the seat time and satisfaction and keep telling myself that anyone can "eat an elephant one bite at a time" :p
Trust me, you have nothing to be jealous of. The land itself was never farm land and therefore never cleaned. Not to mention trash services to rural areas is fairly "new" in concept which means thay before that anything non organic in nature was just buried. Add in the house has been here since 1903 and...well theres alot just beloe the surface. Brick, concrete, glass, wire from fencing, ect. ect.

Good spot. Didn't forget the forks, I didn't care for thr pricing on the landprides. Can't remember the exact amount but it was north of $1000. Couldn't justify it when there are sets nearly half the cost, or the same price and half the weight. Currently waiting on GWT to release their versaforks. I rather like the idea of both ssqa and 3pt attachment. Till then I'll make do with my chains and hooks.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Nice addition to the family. I know the old land dump feature all too well, thankfully most of the "buried treasure" on our 5 acres is in a relatively small area but i have pulled above ground treasures AKA, a few washing machines tvs lawn mowers etc our of our wooded section.

jtrout141

Equipment
LX2610 Wicked 55 grapple-FDR1660 finish mower
Jul 10, 2021
Iowa
Welcome. I think you will like the LX2610. I see a ballast line in the background. ;)

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sweet new rig you have there! And quite an upgrade from an N.

Bought my Kubota to replace this old N. (Yeah, I know it has a Ferguson hood but the rest is Ford.)
IMG_9640.jpeg

That thing was a cockroach. Not a lot of redeeming qualities other than you couldn’t kill it if you tried. Kept it and used it instead of the L4701 every time it was the better machine for the job. After two years of driving it only to move it when it was in the way, bartered it to a farrier that wanted it a lot more than I did. Thought I’d miss it, but I was wrong.

If you’re used to actually working with a 2N and T020 the difference moving to a modern tractor is hard to overstate. Congratulations.

will721

Equipment
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Yeah I bought the ol' Ford a couple years ago to do some things around the property. I used the back blade to level a few things and use chains to move trees as I drop them. (Ash bore wiped out several trees right before I bought my house.) But I really needed a loader and different attachments to do any real work. Plus I quickly found out when pulling anything including implements behind it, it either was too light to gain traction with 2wd or would try and stand up like a dragster. But it is a sweetheart of a little tractor, and I got it cheap, so it will spend its retirement getting fixed up a bit theb used as yard art in the summer months and as a toy to run up the road to the neighbors.

473.jpg

The fergy is...something. As I said, I really needed a loader and it came up at a local estate auction. I picked it up for $300 betting on my 100% success rate of getting things that should never run again to spit fire.

476.jpg

After hauling it home and yanking the loader off, (which ended up stuck in the garage due to my inability to move it until now) I checked the fluids and everything looked alright so I set to unsticking the engine and getting it running. Which I did successfully...until it decided it wanted milkshakes.

478.jpg

So with that an engine rebuild became necessary, and that was the plan until the LX showed up. I will rebuild it still, but since I don't NEED it anymore its now a hobby rather than a necessity. The loader will get sold and it will park right next to the Ford in its patina'd glory. A sort of old and new but functional display.

The Lx is a night and day difference thats for sure. Hydrostats sure are luxurious compared to the old gear drives. Not to mention power steering, live ptos, and a 3pt that isn't basically a selector switch between up and down. My only regret, should have got a cab but it wasn't in the budget. Mabey the next one.

Reactions: 4 users

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
Funny, I ended up with my tractor for almost the same reason…. I ended up with a bigger tractor, and a couple of extra implements…. 😏😁. And since she was the one promoting them, I don’t have to explain!

So I’m good!