New Member New CUT

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Yup!
Good point.
The OP mentions that he will be "digging", and SCUTs are not intended for "digging"!
That's a comical statement, and wrong on many levels. Anything with a bucket was made to move dirt or stone. Efficiency is a different topic.

To the OP enjoy your new tractor I'm sure it will do everything you need it to and more. Tooth bars are great as well.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's a comical statement, and wrong on many levels. Anything with a bucket was made to move dirt or stone. Efficiency is a different topic.

To the OP enjoy your new tractor I'm sure it will do everything you need it to and more. Tooth bars are great as well.
It is truly "comical" ....... when one does not comprehend the difference between digging and moving dirt!
A tractor loader is certainly suitable for moving dirt, or stone.
A tracked loader/CTL/dozer/BH is intended for digging dirt.
The OP specifically states that he intends "to do some digging", with a small tractor loader.
A very poor idea,..... and certainly not "comical" at all!

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Well, the OP does not really specify what he means by digging, but he does say he only has 1 acre of land.

Digging could just involve leveling some spots that are within a foot or so of level - no problem for a compact tractor with FEL and box blade (even bigger differences depending on soil conditions would be fine). Unless, the OP has some big work to do (such as removing a large multi-foot high hump) bigger equipment should not be needed.

With my LX 2610, I have leveled two sites (30x30 and 30x16 foot) that had about a foot of difference in red clay soil with frequent softball sized rocks. Leveled each site to within an inch (rotary laser level), and then I spread gravel over each before the sheds were installed.

Reactions: 1 users

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Had my LX2610 for a little over a year now. 1 acre, lots of trees. I went with the 2610 expressly because of the lack of a DEF system. Could I have used a 3310? Sure. I could also use an excavator, but my 2610 fills ALL the bills that I have. Enjoy your new purchase.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
It is truly "comical" ....... when one does not comprehend the difference between digging and moving dirt!
The OP specifically states that he intends "to do some digging", with a small tractor loader.
Been working with and on heavy equipment my entire life, you never had to dig with the front bucket of a backhoe? Heck the old case and deere hoes were little more then farm tractors with add on bucket and hoe. Will a tracked skid steer do it better? Undoubtedly. will a used machine cost twice the money? Certainly. If it wasn't meant to dig it wouldn't have a bucket. How fast or efficiently it digs is a different topic altogether.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Been working with and on heavy equipment my entire life, you never had to dig with the front bucket of a backhoe? Heck the old case and deere hoes were little more then farm tractors with add on bucket and hoe. Will a tracked skid steer do it better? Undoubtedly. will a used machine cost twice the money? Certainly. If it wasn't meant to dig it wouldn't have a bucket. How fast or efficiently it digs is a different topic altogether.
You are absolutely correct!

I have never had to "dig" with the loader bucket on my TLB!
I have scraped dirt/gravel, loaded and pushed, loose or stacked material, but I have never done any "digging" with my loader bucket.

When I need to "dig" I simply turn my machine around, and use the backhoe,..... which was specifically designed, and built to "dig".
IMHO: The "digging" of undisturbed earth with a personally owned SCUT loader bucket is nothing short of equipment abuse!

"Digging" with a SCUT loader bucket is completely acceptable however, when accomplished with rental equipment!🥵

Last edited:
  • Haha

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Was on hiatus for a day and didn't realize how many replies I got haha. I'll try my best to address all points and feedback. I also didn't realize how much of a PITA it was to multi-quote here (or maybe I'm doing it wrong)... I find myself having to click reply on each message individually :LOL:

IMO, great choice on the tractor! I have 11 acres and feel it is just the right size for me. It has been a beast for clearing downed trees which was main reason for purchase. With a grapple I can do in an hour what would take me a day without……all whilst not straining my back.

It sounds like you did great on the price! I got mine about a month and a half ago and paid a bit under the pricing on the Kubota site. My dealer wanted a premium for any add-on so I just went with the loader and did the 3rd function and grapple on my own.

Did you have to order of was your tractor available? Be sure to post some pics when you get it and put it to work!

(edit…..just saw your last post with the ETA. Oh, and congrats!)
Shekkie, I was checking out a few of your posts on the LX before I 100% committed to pulling the trigger and some of your info helped solidify my choice. I actually lucked out and noticed that the dealer I went to had two crated LX2610 units out back along with an LX2610SU for me to check out and a used LX2610 to test drive - I think I lucked out. They also had a ton of Ls and a few Bs on site too so the boss and I looked at their offering and decided on the LX. I REALLY wanted the L because I am a fan of overkill, but it would have been uncomfortable to maneuver on my property... maybe in the future if I end up with 20 acres I'll pick up a 2nd tractor :unsure: Hopefully they don't cost 100k by then. I also ordered a third function kit to be on the safe side, how much of a PITA was it to install?

My dealer was a 'hole in the wall' and not a 'Messick's-type shop' with the General manager, one admin, one sales guy, and parts/service team. The smaller, the better. Being this is a Kubota and there's a dealer on every corner, I'm not concerned with getting decent service anywhere I go.

You are in the right track. In my opinion forks are more versatile than a grapple. Grapples don’t haul pallets so well. But forks can haul brush and logs. Have you Considered some lifting straps, shackles and hooks for your bucket and / or forks. 🥃
Yeah I think I'll stick with the forks for the short-term and if I find my woods work to be a PITA with it, I'll upgrade. The grapple would be real nice to pick up all the smaller branches and crap that accumulates on the ground though... Either way, I'm going with the Kubota third function kit just in case. I saw a video on the differences between land pride and Kubota OEM and the Kubota is well worth it for the ~$100 price difference (hard lines in the front, more organized hydraulic hoses, refined, OEM). I do plan on going with bolt on hooks and shackles, I forget who the vendor was but they are like $30 bucks a pop - a bargain compared to having to screw around with the welder and taking paint off my loader bucket when I don't have to.

I don't have any specialized straps besides ratchet straps - I'll have to look into those. I am like a kid in a candy store looking at tractor 'mods' now :ROFLMAO:

I am REALLY looking forward to being able to unload my truck bed without asking the wife to come outside and give me a hand :ROFLMAO:

sounds like a 'good deal'. I'd let the dealer do the 50hr oil + filter changes . It's the most important one.

get your buddy to make the toothbar, super easy with a LASER and a LOT cheaper. Made mine from
'dumpsterdive' steel, yes, have to sharpen the teeth 2-3 times a year...only takes 10-15 minutes.
Glad to hear it! I do all my own vehicle service at home besides the new 'computerized' transmission flushes. I've also got a fluid extractor and plenty of room in the garage, is this something I could DIY relatively easily? I want to upgrade to the Mobil fluid at some point and stick with OEM filters and just do my full changes every 50 hours to err on the side of caution. What do you all recommend for engine oil? Mobil? Rotella synthetic?

Thats a good point on the toothbar, I could probably have one cut and welded for less than $4-500 EA or Pirana want. I'm sure Alro will have similar high-wear resistance steel to use as well.

Sorry, let me rephrase, I'm using the term 'digging' loosely and can probably chalk that up to inexperience. Elliot pretty much captured what I'm trying to do - basically loosen up areas that need levelling/cutting with a box blade, make piles at the end of my runs, and using the FEL to 'scoop/scrape' the loosened material and dump/grade other areas of the property (or dump it in the woods). I do not intend on using the FEL like a backhoe and 'engage/curl' the bucket while lifting the front wheels off the ground to move dirt directly out of an undisturbed area like scooping ice cream - I have access to a buddy's Ford 12XX series CUT with BH for heavy digging/trenching work if I ever need and I've used a larger bobcat in the past to do what I'm describing much quicker, however, it costs $5-600/day to rent one of those units and I have to haul it to my house and haul it back and account for weather (and destroy my lawn in the process).

Well, the OP does not really specify what he means by digging, but he does say he only has 1 acre of land.

Digging could just involve leveling some spots that are within a foot or so of level - no problem for a compact tractor with FEL and box blade (even bigger differences depending on soil conditions would be fine). Unless, the OP has some big work to do (such as removing a large multi-foot high hump) bigger equipment should not be needed.

With my LX 2610, I have leveled two sites (30x30 and 30x16 foot) that had about a foot of difference in red clay soil with frequent softball sized rocks. Leveled each site to within an inch (rotary laser level), and then I spread gravel over each before the sheds were installed.
You got it Elliot! That's exactly what I'm looking to do - levelling areas and scooping the unnecessary material and placing in other areas of my yard to spread rock/slag sand and lay pavers and back fill/grade the surrounding areas after paver barrier gets placed.

Thank you sir! I am excited to finally work smart and not hard. Being in my mid 30's and shovelling/wheelbarrow'ing material my entire life has gotten real old real fast.

Had my LX2610 for a little over a year now. 1 acre, lots of trees. I went with the 2610 expressly because of the lack of a DEF system. Could I have used a 3310? Sure. I could also use an excavator, but my 2610 fills ALL the bills that I have. Enjoy your new purchase.
Hallelujah! I'm glad I'm not the only one going with a bigger machine for wooded acre. I was really eye'ing SCUTs for practicality, but bigger is better and I'd rather buy once and cry once haha. I agree with you on the DEF - while the new systems seem to be pretty refined, I don't want to have to work around regens/DEF stuff and have to deal with an ECU on a machine I plan on keeping for many years.

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Shekkie, I was checking out a few of your posts on the LX before I 100% committed to pulling the trigger and some of your info helped solidify my choice. I actually lucked out and noticed that the dealer I went to had two crated LX2610 units out back along with an LX2610SU for me to check out and a used LX2610 to test drive - I think I lucked out. They also had a ton of Ls and a few Bs on site too so the boss and I looked at their offering and decided on the LX. I REALLY wanted the L because I am a fan of overkill, but it would have been uncomfortable to maneuver on my property... maybe in the future if I end up with 20 acres I'll pick up a 2nd tractor :unsure: Hopefully they don't cost 100k by then. I also ordered a third function kit to be on the safe side, how much of a PITA was it to install?

My dealer was a 'hole in the wall' and not a 'Messick's-type shop' with the General manager, one admin, one sales guy, and parts/service team. The smaller, the better. Being this is a Kubota and there's a dealer on every corner, I'm not concerned with getting decent service anywhere I go.
I’m glad to hear that my incessant babbling was of some value!

I had a B series sized JD tractor on a previous 5 acre property and it was a workhorse. It did all I ever asked of it but sometimes just barely. I knew with this larger property with all of the wooded areas that my old tractor could work but I’d probably be really pushing it’s limits on a regular basis. That’s why I upsized to the LX (JD doesn’t really have anything comparable). I too tend to go overboard with stuff like this but the simple fact is that anything bigger like an L series would do the same jobs maybe a bit easier but the extra weight and size would be a detriment with where I need to go. So what if my LX takes a bit longer? I’m not making money with it and I’m in striking distance of retirement (and death) so no real need to rush. The LX has more than exceeded my expectations thus far.

As far as the 3rd function kit……the install was straightforward and now that I’ve done it I’d say I could do another in 2-ish hours. My biggest concern was that the hard lines would be a hassle but they were a piece of cake. The instructions don’t mention it but you may have to take a grinder to your loader parking stand leg (right) and notch it a bit for clearance around the new hardline clamp. One of the youtube videos I watched addressed the possibility so it came as no surprise. No biggie. Also the videos I watched showed pulling the seat to get to one of the fittings……no need unless you have holiday ham sized mitts. Plenty of room from the right side with the wheel off.

• Haha

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I’m glad to hear that my incessant babbling was of some value!

I had a B series sized JD tractor on a previous 5 acre property and it was a workhorse. It did all I ever asked of it but sometimes just barely. I knew with this larger property with all of the wooded areas that my old tractor could work but I’d probably be really pushing it’s limits on a regular basis. That’s why I upsized to the LX (JD doesn’t really have anything comparable). I too tend to go overboard with stuff like this but the simple fact is that anything bigger like an L series would do the same jobs maybe a bit easier but the extra weight and size would be a detriment with where I need to go. So what if my LX takes a bit longer? I’m not making money with it and I’m in striking distance of retirement (and death) so no real need to rush. The LX has more than exceeded my expectations thus far.

As far as the 3rd function kit……the install was straightforward and now that I’ve done it I’d say I could do another in 2-ish hours. My biggest concern was that the hard lines would be a hassle but they were a piece of cake. The instructions don’t mention it but you may have to take a grinder to your loader parking stand leg (right) and notch it a bit for clearance around the new hardline clamp. One of the youtube videos I watched addressed the possibility so it came as no surprise. No biggie. Also the videos I watched showed pulling the seat to get to one of the fittings……no need unless you have holiday ham sized mitts. Plenty of room from the right side with the wheel off.
Hahaha the babbling was value-add. I, too, am not doing anything with my CUT to make money so time isn't really a concern for me either. Simply having equipment on site and not having to rent a beat up SCUT from home depot is good enough time savings for me.

We're your tires filled when you added your third function? I may have to bug you when mine arrives after I order online . I had my dealer cancel the land pride third function order they made earlier today so I'll likely DIY the OEM kit.

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Hahaha the babbling was value-add. I, too, am not doing anything with my CUT to make money so time isn't really a concern for me either. Simply having equipment on site and not having to rent a beat up SCUT from home depot is good enough time savings for me.

We're your tires filled when you added your third function? I may have to bug you when mine arrives after I order online . I had my dealer cancel the land pride third function order they made earlier today so I'll likely DIY the OEM kit.
Not filled. I prefer removable weight. Taking the tire on and off was the reason you ask? I just used my jack to get the height just right. It was much less of a pain than I anticipated. It will still move easy if filled……just don’t drop it on it’s side. That would be tragic.

I was encouraged to go with the Land Pride kit from my dealer and members here. I’m sure it’s a good kit but I really preferred the Kubota kit’s included loader control stick with integrated controls and the hard lines. Plus the wiring was plug-n-play. No regrets.

No problem “bugging me”. That’s what these forums are for.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Not filled. I prefer removable weight. Taking the tire on and off was the reason you ask? I just used my jack to get the height just right. It was much less of a pain than I anticipated. It will still move easy if filled……just don’t drop it on it’s side. That would be tragic.

I was encouraged to go with the Land Pride kit from my dealer and members here. I’m sure it’s a good kit but I really preferred the Kubota kit’s included loader control stick with integrated controls and the hard lines. Plus the wiring was plug-n-play. No regrets.

No problem “bugging me”. That’s what these forums are for.
Ah, I'm going with filled just to give the LX some more weight. In hindsight, it's probably not critical, but what the hell. Yeah dropping the tire on its side means deadlifting 300+ lbs (which I can do once or twice, but definitely don't want to unless there's a bar and plates involved).

I think the dealers push the land pride kit because they have a higher margin on it. I agree with you that the hard lines, integrated controls, not having to splice or extend wires, and not having hydraulic hose cluttering up the FEL is worth $100 to me. There's a Tractor Time with Tim video that sold me on the OEM:

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
The forks kick ass working with trees. Serious fun, too. I can drag a pretty big green tamarack tree around with ease using the forks. Those forks have gotten me un-stuck many times too, quickly and effectively.

It's a surprisingly maneuverable, versatile, and strong tractor.

I call it The Little Tractor That CAN.

View attachment 76964 View attachment 76963 View attachment 76962
Which forks are these?

My LX2610 build is completed and should be delivered early next week 😁. I lucked out too, the supposedly backordered Kubota OEM third function kit arrived weeks earlier than anticipated and the dealer was able to install that as well. I did notice my 54" bucket didn't have a cutting edge bolted on it, more reason to go with the pirana I guess. I also did go with the KTAC as well, cost an extra few grand but worth it if anything happens.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, when I bought my Piranha tooth bar, the website indicated 4-6 weeks till shipping, but I received it in 3 weeks.

Also, I noticed that you have the bucket level indicator. Mine fell off (I believe pulled off while scooping crusher gravel from a pile). I put it back on (only had to replace a nut and c-clip), and then I removed it. It is somewhat vulnerable, and I found that I did not use it. I always found myself looking at the top of the bucket, instead. Just something to watch for.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
FWIW, when I bought my Piranha tooth bar, the website indicated 4-6 weeks till shipping, but I received it in 3 weeks.

Also, I noticed that you have the bucket level indicator. Mine fell off (I believe pulled off while scooping crusher gravel from a pile). I put it back on (only had to replace a nut and c-clip), and then I removed it. It is somewhat vulnerable, and I found that I did not use it. I always found myself looking at the top of the bucket, instead. Just something to watch for.
That's good advice, I may remove mine. I noticed the top of the bucket had a "Level" sticker on it. Thankfully that will make it easier to install bucket hooks too.

Did you order from BXpanded?

Crap, I just realized I forgot to ask the dealer to add an block heater for winter time... I'll have to search the forum later to see if anyone has installed one.

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
That's good advice, I may remove mine. I noticed the top of the bucket had a "Level" sticker on it. Thankfully that will make it easier to install bucket hooks too.

Crap, I just realized I forgot to ask the dealer to add an oil warmer for winter time... I'll have to search the forum later to see if anyone has installed one.
Yes - BXpanded I see the lead time is down to 2-3 weeks.

• Love

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio

Crap, I just realized I forgot to ask the dealer to add an block heater for winter time... I'll have to search the forum later to see if anyone has installed one.
I bought the Kubota block heater from Amazon……

Kubota 70000-73274 Block Heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSBU7FC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Install was a snap except I had to go tighter than I expected before it stopped leaking. That was with thread sealer properly applied BTW.

Last edited:

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I bought the Kubota block heater from Amazon……

Kubota 70000-73274 Block Heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSBU7FC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Install was a snap except I had to go tighter than I expected before it stopped leaking. That was with thread sealer properly applied BTW.
After watching a few videos, looks like an easy job as long as the FEL doesn't make it a pain in the ass to access the block plug. Where did you drain the coolant from, do our radiators have petcocks or does the block have a drain? I should probably look in the WSM, but I am lazy 😁 coincidentally, I just found that heater on Messicks and added it to my Amazon cart 😂

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
After watching a few videos, looks like an easy job as long as the FEL doesn't make it a pain in the ass to access the block plug. Where did you drain the coolant from, do our radiators have petcocks or does the block have a drain? I should probably look in the WSM, but I am lazy 😁 coincidentally, I just found that heater on Messicks and added it to my Amazon cart 😂
I only did it a month ago and I don’t 100% remember where I drained from. I think there was a drain right by the block heater. It was obvious, wherever it was, when I went to do the job.

The FEL wasn’t in the way. The only “humphhhh” was that there is some wiring that runs kinda snug right next to the plug. Not a big deal but does take a little care.

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I’m wiring up my auxiliary LED lights today and took a look at the block heater. The drain valve is just under the block heater. You can’t see it in this pic because the little orange wiring boot blocks it. I tried getting a better pic but none of them really helped. You can’t miss it.
0F11DC87-1042-4288-BE57-938736EB5365.jpeg