New member, first time tractor ordered, L3901-HST

SageHill

Equipment
L3901
May 31, 2020
Valley Center, CA
Placed my order yesterday for a L3901-HST.

R14 tires water filled, LA525 w/quick attach, 66" bucket, level indicator, PFL2042 pallet forks, QH-15 quick hitch, RCR1860 rotary cutter, BB1260 box blade, , L-8787 Kubota 1” spacer kit (dealer recommended over any wider third party spacers so as to avoid any possible warranty denial issues, didn’t feel like arguing the point though I would have preferred at least 2” spacers, and Top and tilt fender mounted (Gearmore kit dealer installed for $2000).

With American Cutter Horse Association Equine discount (note you do not have to own a horse to join), out the door (tax included) delivered to my property a few dollars short of 30k (paying cash though standard financing is available with equine discount, but not the 0% interest). Equine discount is a nice 20% off MSRP on Kubota and Land Pride items.

Delivery in 2 to 3 weeks.

Moved to new house on 12 2/3 acres in southern California. House at top of property, 8 to 10' dirt path put in that winds it say from top to bottom of property, but needs some repair due to heavy rains. Significant slope means taking it very slow in the beginning and always being cautious on those slopes. About 1050' top to bottom and 500' to 700' across. Nice 2 to 3 acre gentle slope at the bottom where sheep will be kept when we are ready for them. Future barn at the top but about 400' away from house (house at one corner at top of property, barn will be at other corner). Blacktop fire access road house to barn and then right angle turn and blacktop continues about 100' to down hill to the dirt path entry to the rest of the property. Total slop from top of property to bottom over the 1050' is about 160' of elevation change

I will only be using the box blade on the dirt path (which may get some blacktop grinds brought in if the paths have more erosion issues after I fix them up -- they got put in with no crown and no attempt to keep water flow to the side where the path goes up and down the slope of the property). While others in a FB group recommended the 1560 box blade, it would be a $500 add so I'm going to pass on that and not be aggressive when using the 1260.

Glad to be moving from lurker to a participating role.

Comment

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Welcome and congrats on new L3901, I have one also and very much like that product. Remember to keep something on the back when using your forks or bucket. If you have any questions feel free to reach out. There are a couple of mods that I really like, one is adding an Atv basket to the back of the rops, another is the telescoping stabilizer bars on the 3pt lift arms (must have) and I just ordered arm rests for my seat.

share a photo when it’s delivered.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Nice tractor you have coming SageHill, and well equipped. I'll second what UpNorthMI mentioned about having some weight hanging off your QuickHitch to counter the FEL. I went with a Titan ballast box which was under $300 delivered and is much less cumbersome back there than a box blade or rear blade. And far more effective than liquid filled tires, which are a PIA to fix when you get a thorn or nail puncture.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
Congrats on the new tractor. I have a 2501 which is basically the same size and weight. I also live on some property with plenty of terrain. Just be careful and take it easy for a while as you learn the tractor and how it reacts over various parts of your property. I think for the first year my butt was constantly puckered up from close calls, tight spots, and coming close to tipping the tractor over. In time I figured out just how far I could push the tractor and areas on the property to stay away from. I get nervous when my wife or Dad jump on my tractor because I know how things go great and then can turn ugly in a split second. Hope I didn’t scare you too much. All the elevations you described got me thinking about when I started out with my new tractor.

SageHill

Equipment
L3901
May 31, 2020
Valley Center, CA
There are a couple of mods that I really like, one is adding an Atv basket to the back of the rops, another is the telescoping stabilizer bars on the 3pt lift arms (must have) and I just ordered arm rests for my seat.

share a photo when it’s delivered.
Post a picture of that ATV basket sometime so I can see how you mounted it.

With the top and tilt kit being installed, are the telescoping stabilizer bars still warranted?

Post the part number for the seat arm rests - are they Kubota or third party?

Been looking at ballast boxes -- looks like it's going to be more spending for awhile.

Photos for sure when it gets here.

SageHill

Equipment
L3901
May 31, 2020
Valley Center, CA
Hope I didn’t scare you too much. All the elevations you described got me thinking about when I started out with my new tractor.
Can't scare one enough on my estimation. Definitely will be cautious and pay close attention to the pucker factor. My complication will be the holes and rocks that can't be seen that can have a rapid change to CGI from ok to you're in trouble.

My one concern is trying to get concern across to my wife who will likely operate as much or more than me. When I try to explain to her the potential issues, she's like "stop, you're going to make me too scared" which I want to respond with there should be a healthy level of fear / concern. Because of all of her horse riding experience, I think she'll use the pucker factor to appropriately to go slow and learn.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
With the top and tilt kit being installed, are the telescoping stabilizer bars still warranted?
Quick hitch is the thing that might mean you didn't need stabiliser bars. I added them to my BX, they make a massive difference when taking implements on and off. Top and tilt doesn't make it easier to take implements on and off.

Assuming you haven't experienced the pain (tell me if this is an eggs and sucking moment), the standard threaded stabilisers rust, bend or otherwise fill with gunk, and mean you can't adjust them. You really need to adjust them every time you change implement, so that's super annoying. With a quick hitch the quick hitch is permanently attached, so you don't adjust stabilisers so much (unless you want an implement loose for some reason - to allow a bit of sway. Often you'd want that with a box blade for example, to let it ride contours a little).

My one concern is trying to get concern across to my wife who will likely operate as much or more than me.
If your better half is like mine, then she'll be safety squirrel, and you spend most of your time saying "yes, that's safe", "yes, you can go faster", "it'll be fine, just get on with it." You want them to be safe, but you want to get the work done too.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Quick hitch is the thing that might mean you didn't need stabiliser bars. I added them to my BX, they make a massive difference when taking implements on and off. Top and tilt doesn't make it easier to take implements on and off.
I have to disagree on that point. I have found that TnT make it much easier to remove and attach implements. I have the QH15 and while I have not had to adjust the telescoping stabilizers, it is still nice to loose the turnbuckles because of their inherit problems like rust, dirt , bends. I use the TnT just about every time I drop and pick up implements.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
1. You asked for the part number on the telescopic stabilizers, your local dealer should have them. I believe you will find them very useful despite the top and tilt in the long run.

2. Here is the link on the ROPS basket, I copied another members idea and love the outcome:

3. I'm waiting for my arm rests to arrive, I purchased them for a Snapper seat but people have used them for L3901, I will send photos and part number as I fit them.

Stabil.JPG