New LX2610su or 2015 L3301

Ranger9

May 20, 2022
SE Michigan
Hi All,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I have some experience using B series and L series tractors. I am buying my first tractor and after some research and evaluation of needs, I got a quote from my local dealer about a Kubota LX2610su with a loader. It seems like it would fit my chores quite well. The quote was between 24k-25k + insurance if financing. One of my relatives, is planning on trading in their 2015 L3301 and loader (455 hours). The dealer offered them around 23k. They offered to sell it to me for the trade-in value. I know the history of the machine well. I was hoping to get some advice on purchasing new vs used in this situation. I am assuming the L3301 is no longer covered by warranty. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Also most of my chores are landscaping, clearing and maintaining wooded areas on my property, hauling firewood, brush cutting, and I am sure I will find many more uses.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
455 hrs really isn’t much in terms life of machine. Compare that to an automobile….it’s not really broken in by comparison to normal use of a car or truck…if you think about distance traveled. I sort of see those two machines as slightly different classes. IMO. If do not need an MMM the seems like a very simple decision of $/capabilty/value for your planned uses….IMO.

Ranger9

May 20, 2022
SE Michigan
Thanks for the reply. I agree the L3301 is like new, and I know the history. I just wanted to make sure the L capabilities outweighed the lack of warranty from buying a new lx model. Yes, I don't intend on using a mid pto.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Another difference is the LX2610SU doesn’t have a DPF while the L3301 does. The L is quite a bit larger machine. That is both an advantage and disadvantage.

The LX also has more creature comforts. I don’t know if they have the same tires, but that is a consideration as well.

Look at the Messick comparison videos.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I really hate the limitations the DPF puts on operating the tractor and the extra fuel cost, although if you're talking HST on both I guess it's not as limiting.

That would be a tough choice. If I were buying new and needed more than a non-DPF tractor, I'd skip the L3301 and go bigger.

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Get the bigger tractor unless you are working a small place that requires small

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The LX and the L aren't that different in capability - they're surprisingly similar in lift, the LX has a bit more ground clearance even. But the L is more tractor - it's built more solid. 33HP is a reasonable amount more than 26.

Honestly either is a good buy - a new LX with a few more creature comforts and a warranty is pretty good. A known history L3301 at a good price is also a great deal, but without warranty and a bit less luxury.

I think I'd take the L, you're unlikely to regret it. Kubotas are solid tractors, unless it's been abused you're probably not going to miss the warranty - if it was going to break it would have by now. And getting a tractor at trade-in price will be 2-3K below what they would sell it for, so that's also a good deal.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
The L3301 is a larger, heavier tractor with bigger tires and more power. With only 455 hours and a known history, it’s the obvious choice between the two…unless you need a smaller footprint.

Since you’re considering the LX SU version, you’re really not giving up much luxury features compared to the L3301.

Mike

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Just bought a L3302 (The new L3301) with loader, ballast R14 tires, and 3rd function and it was still under 30k. Kubota has some cash back right now plus the 0% on the L. I think a new 3302 or L2501 are a good value for the money. FYI I get insurance through my homeowners. Doesn't cover me off property but mine doesn't leave it. Was about 10x cheaper than KTAC insurance.

davep

Equipment
LX2610SU, RCR1860, BB1260, QH10, CID HBHS, CID CTFF, WR Long RBG2
Jul 20, 2021
Virginia
I have the LX2610SU. If I were in this position I would get the L33. Like another poster said, with the SU version, about the only “creature comfort” you get is a rubber floor pad.
That said, there’s a lot of positive with going with a non-emissions tractor. You don’t have to deal with the DPF stuff.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, the LX SU comes the following "comfort" features versus a standard L: nearly flat floor (no big hump), digital instrument cluster with PTO RPM (no PTO RPM mark on the analog tach) and loader stick at your hip ** it is a big deal for me** (no loader stick out in front to the right of the console/gauges).

The SU also has the same or approximately same size tires as the smaller Ls, and you can add cruise control to an LX SU (no idea what you can do with an L).

Do these matter to you? Only you can answer the question.

As to ability to do work, the LX SU and L33 are about the same in practical application. I cannot imagine anyone upgrading from a 26HP to a 33HP tractor; it is just too small of a step.

Here is a Messick's video comparing an L2501 and LX 3310 (more comfort features than an SU); notice what is said about the work both machines can do and comfort.

For me and my applications, I am pleased with my choice to buy a 26 HP machine. It is less complex, and I can use whatever RPM I want without any concern about Regen (although I do all of my work between 2000 and PTO RPMs). It never has to Regen or have its DPF serviced (in the distant future). Also unlike you, there was a very significant price spread between 26 and 33 HP.

One final thing to consider is your relationship with your relative. What if the L33 has an unforeseen catastrophic failure (very low probability) costing thousands of dollars? Will that impact your relationship?

Impala

Equipment
Jan 16, 2021
WI
The 26 hp to the 33 hp is a significant bump when it comes to PTO power. It also has 25 ft lbs more torque. I was concerned about the DPF but not a big deal on newer machines if you use them as designed. Kubota says every 50 or so hours for a regen which is a lot of working time for me. You can also use it while it regens so not a big deal.

Last edited:

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Looking at your 'chore list', both will handle it well. Difference is in brush cutting. I would start by deciding what brush cutter you want to use. If both tractors have enough pto hp to handle it, I'd go with the LX. If you need the extra hp then obviously the L is the way to go.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Besides brush cutting (shouldn't be a problem if you opt for a smaller unit), the LX should check all the boxes for what you're trying to do. I can't imagine maneuvering an L through my small section of woods where the LX doesn't have as much limitation in. Both machine are fairly large, but the L is slightly longer and wider from the research I had done in the past. The LX is also a little lighter which is an advantage if you plan on driving over your "lawn" with it (I have yet to tear up my lawn with my LX2610 and R14's besides a small shaded hill that stays pretty damp.

davep

Equipment
LX2610SU, RCR1860, BB1260, QH10, CID HBHS, CID CTFF, WR Long RBG2
Jul 20, 2021
Virginia
Brush cutting actually works fine with my LX. I have an RCR1860, and I've never had an issue. I don't cut anything over an inch in diameter with it though.

Be careful with the finish mower though (if you get one). I have the FDR1660 and it seems to be right at the top of what the LX26 can handle. Will bog down in thicker grass and on hills sometimes.

Impala

Equipment
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Now that I have been using my L I love the upgrade. 60" brush mower and 72" finish mower handle so much better with bigger, heavier tractor. My hills can be done in 2wd. I loved my B but the L is a beast. I see no reason for the L3902 because of the cost and small difference.

FYI the new L3302 has some additional creature comforts over the old models and Kubota still has 0% and cash back offers. At least here in the upper midwest it is difficult to find a decent used tractor that is a good deal over new.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The choices are;
A brand new slightly smaller tractor with warranty and zero APR.
Or a slightly bigger tractor with DPF, no warranty, and buying from family.

IMO, go new & smaller, rather than risk the potential buying-from-family problems.

No matter how close you might be now, loss if $ destroys relationships. Besides, the used one isn't coming with a "family price" bonus. Your relative isn't losing either way.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
No matter how close you might be now, loss if $ destroys relationships. Besides, the used one isn't coming with a "family price" bonus. Your relative isn't losing either way.
To me that is the family price bonus. Buying something at trade in price is often below what it'd be on a dealer lot for, or what you'd buy it for private sale. And if it has a known history, that's safer than buying from an unknown.

If you're going to blame the relative if it breaks, then definitely don't buy it. But if you're going to buy it knowing it's a used machine with known history, and you got a good price, but that doesn't mean it won't break like any other equipment might.....then yeah, buy it.

Impala

Equipment
Jan 16, 2021
WI
To me that is the family price bonus. Buying something at trade in price is often below what it'd be on a dealer lot for, or what you'd buy it for private sale. And if it has a known history, that's safer than buying from an unknown.

If you're going to blame the relative if it breaks, then definitely don't buy it. But if you're going to buy it knowing it's a used machine with known history, and you got a good price, but that doesn't mean it won't break like any other equipment might.....then yeah, buy it.
Problem is 23k is not that great. New L3302 has warranty 0% financing if needed, more comforts, and will be 28k or so.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Bottom line is, to preserve family relationships, don't involve money situations.
If the hydrostatic transmission were to die within a year of family buying it. Someone is going to think that they got a bad deal. Buying brother thinks that selling brother got a better deal. Selling brother feels bad about it and offers buying brother to help pay the expenses. Buying brother thinks that the offer is good, but not good enuf
. "I could have had a new warrantied tractor for this money"!

It never ends and feelings and pocket books get hurt.

Years ago two of my brothers and I were talking if buying a 30' plus sailboat. Together, we could afford the payment and a permanent slip in a local marina. We could each, seperate or together with family, take it out fishing, cruising, etc. But as we are about to actually buy a boat, brother #3 says "It's great, I'm going to live in it". Literally. As in sell his house and literally live in it.
Obviously, we didn't buy a sailboat because us other two brothers would never get to use brother #3's 'home'.
You're better off buying from a dealer or stranger.