New L3800 and Block Heater

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
I am having my new L3800HST and attachments delivered this week. I am in central WI and it has been exceptionally cold this year. I got the tractor with a block heater installed. Reading through the book, I see where it lists warm up times with colder temps....it is like 30 minutes or more when the temp is -5 or colder. Thats so the hydraulic oil and trans oil warm up enough so everything functions properly and nothing breaks. Provided the block heater has been plugged inf or awhile, it should warm everything up and cut the warm up time way down, correct? With old tractors we had in the past, like the oild Massy Harris and Ford 800, it was started and as soon as it was warm enough to move, it was used. Being this is my first new tractor and there is alot of money involved, I would prefer to follow their reccomendations as much as I can, at least through the first 50 hour break in.

Dirt Mover

Jan 9, 2014
Delaware
I think that would be true for the engine. However, the transmission would still require the warm up time after start. No heater in transmission right?
DM

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like Dirt mover said, The heater is just for the motor, you need to give it a little time for the hydraulic fluid to move around and get warm, which will warm the transmission.
Yes these tractors take a little more time to warm up over the older tractors, but the newer tractors are more efficient and technologically advanced and have more options.