New L2501 low trans fluid at 10 hours

bjseiler

Equipment
L2501
Jun 23, 2020
10 hours on a new L2501. I was greasing the loader zerks and checking the oil, coolant, etc., when I looked at the trans fluid indicator and it looks bone dry. No leaks on garage floor (which is level concrete) and I haven't noticed anything weird about operating it but this is my first tractor so I don't know what I don't know. There is also an electrical connection just hanging off near the dipstick. Images attached.

My dealer is going to come pick it up Friday. Maybe during setup they just forgot to top off the trans fluid after adding the loader? Anything else I should insist they check if the guy setting it up missed these two things? Any possible damage at 10 hours I should be concerned about or have them check?

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not to chastise you but... You should always read the owners manual first before even starting a new unit and check all the fluid levels before anything else. dealers are human and overlook stuff at times. Could be overfilled too, as SUDT is clear and hard to see in the window. I prefer a dipstick with 2 small holes punched in it, one at the low (add mark) and one at the full mark. The fluid will bridge the holes and it's easy to see where it's at. The window, not so much.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Not to chastise you but... You should always read the owners manual first before even starting a new unit and check all the fluid levels before anything else. dealers are human and overlook stuff at times. Could be overfilled too, as SUDT is clear and hard to see in the window. I prefer a dipstick with 2 small holes punched in it, one at the low (add mark) and one at the full mark. The fluid will bridge the holes and it's easy to see where it's at. The window, not so much.
Nothing wrong with expecting your brand new unit to be in brand new working order from the dealer. We haven't all owned tractors since they were powered by steam. Should he have checked them before or after they unloaded it off the trailer?

My father bought a new Mustang in 1971, it blew up on the way home from the dealer - no oil. (Dad is a mechanical engineer). S*#t happens.

I would want to be there myself to see the oil that IS in it. That tractor won't move without oil in it will it? There is over 5 gal. involved, a gal missing will put it below the stick. I would want to see how much there is and what it looks like when it is drained..

I changed my hydro oil in full at 50 hours and it looked like grey metalic paint. At a minimum, you should get a new full oil change out of them.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
The sight gauge looks pretty white, it gets a slightly darker white with fluid, looks low to me, but I easily overfilled mine at the 50hr maint. As far as that cable, I'd look around that area to see if you can find its home. Tractor Mike has a checklist for new tractor owners which is pretty cool. I'm sure if your dealer comes to get it, they will give it a good look over.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
10 hours on a new L2501. I was greasing the loader zerks and checking the oil, coolant, etc., when I looked at the trans fluid indicator and it looks bone dry. No leaks on garage floor (which is level concrete) and I haven't noticed anything weird about operating it but this is my first tractor so I don't know what I don't know. There is also an electrical connection just hanging off near the dipstick. Images attached.

My dealer is going to come pick it up Friday. Maybe during setup they just forgot to top off the trans fluid after adding the loader? Anything else I should insist they check if the guy setting it up missed these two things? Any possible damage at 10 hours I should be concerned about or have them check?
If I were in your shoes I would have wanted to know how low it actually was. what if it indeed is drastically low, the dealer goes back fills it up then just gives it back to you - you will never know you operated it at such low oil levels. Hopefully the dealer is honest, but you will be putting all your faith in them here. If the fluid level is sitting just below the bottom of the glass you are likely fine. The amount of oil it takes to go from the bottom of the glass to over filled is just a few ounces (out of 6 gallons capacity) I learned this in my 50 hour maintenance on my L2501 several weeks ago, when I accidentally over filled it then had to drain some back out, and refill again. Once oil gets right near that sight glass you have to really watch it, pour just a couple ounces, look at it, pour another ounce watch it. etc.

Also - make sure you are checking the oil with the 3 point all the way down, and the FEL collapsed all the way down and curled back fully, and that the engine is off. Having any hydraulics extended uses up oil, and will make it look low. I also cant stress how important it is to be one level ground. I know you said its on level garage floor but make sure. When out working Ive often noted my site glass look bone dry when Im seemingly sitting on level of ground. Driving up to my garage concrete pad the oil suddenly shows back up. Just another testament to how sensitive the site glass is once the oil level is up there.

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Good points Tornado, I didn't know the 2501 was so sensitive (by volume) at the window.

Buying any attachment with a dry piston would use that much the first time you extended it.

I want to say the stick on the B2650 has about a 1/2 gal range.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I too doubt it is very low. Mine might show "overfill" or not show any fluid at all dependng on where the tractor is sitting in my barn. The sight window is very sensitive and the tractor must be absolutely level. If fluid is just below the window, it is no big deal IMO.

Most of my fluid was lost last year when a fitting spun loose. It dumped out the fluid in short order. I noticed it squirting out below my foot before I lost it all, but the tractor started to whine a bit louder and seemed to act sluggish. I think if it was terribly low, you would notice it during operation.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I too doubt it is very low. Mine might show "overfill" or not show any fluid at all dependng on where the tractor is sitting in my barn. The sight window is very sensitive and the tractor must be absolutely level. If fluid is just below the window, it is no big deal IMO.

Most of my fluid was lost last year when a fitting spun loose. It dumped out the fluid in short order. I noticed it squirting out below my foot before I lost it all, but the tractor started to whine a bit louder and seemed to act sluggish. I think if it was terribly low, you would notice it during operation.

I think so too - that if it were drastically low you would have noticed a side effect somewhere. You can have over 5 gallons of oil in the L2501 and have the sight glass appear bone dry- as you state. its easy to make that happen with the tractor sitting on a slight slope or having just one tire sitting a little low in a slight depression causing the tractor to but just a little off level - The sight glass is very precise, so for this reason I would hate to call my dealer to investigate it and just turn it over to them because you may never know the true story. It is very possible you could pour 4 or 5 ounces in and all of a sudden be in the sight glass. This is actually the most likely scenario, as when you first fill a tractor, it can take a little while for the oil to fill out and seap into all the nook and crannies, then operating the hydraulics over a short time will also cause the volume to appear to drop just slightly as the oil is circulated throughout the system and coats the interior walls of everything. The capacity is 6 gallons, and you have to get well into the 5th gallon before you will see it show up on the sight glass.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Anything else I should insist they check if the guy setting it up missed these two things?
From the posts I see here, seems like the front axles are often low on fluid when delivered to the customer.

bjseiler

Equipment
L2501
Jun 23, 2020
I really appreciate all the feedback.

There was one small stain on the concrete I noticed underneath your right foot where the hydraulics all meet. I did have a third function added by the dealer. Maybe there is a small leak. Well, I don't know how this all works so maybe when it is operating it is more than a small leak under pressure and when parked it is barely anything (maybe 1-2 tablespoons since yesterday).

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
There was one small stain on the concrete I noticed underneath your right foot where the hydraulics all meet. I did have a third function added by the dealer. Maybe there is a small leak. Well, I don't know how this all works so maybe when it is operating it is more than a small leak under pressure and when parked it is barely anything (maybe 1-2 tablespoons since yesterday).
That is where mine had a fitting spin loose and dumped most of my fluid. It was probably not tightened properly when the backhoe plumbing was installed on mine. It would not hurt for you to check to see if they are tight. Just see if you can tighten them. You don't have to go crazy on them. I think I had about 10 hours on mine before it happened.

Yeah, Paul just reminded me, I need to check the fluid level in my front axle just to make sure.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
10 hours on a new L2501. I was greasing the loader zerks and checking the oil, coolant, etc., when I looked at the trans fluid indicator and it looks bone dry.
Ours was the same when it came. Like said 3 point down, bucket down and curled.
Parked small left slope and sight glass was filled. We were only a quart low or so.

I did this test once filled to top of sight glass:

Hydraulic Oil Level Test
No implement on 3 point hitch, oil at operating temperature

1. FEL down, bucket curled in; 3ph down = full right to top of sight glass
2. FEL down, bucket curled in; 3ph up = 1/3 sight glass
3. FEL up to 60”, bucket curled in; 3ph down = 1/2 sight glass
4. FEL full up, bucket curled in; 3ph down = 1/4 sight glass
5. FEL full up, bucket curled in to 50%; 3ph down = very bottom of sight glass
6. FEL full up, bucket curled out; 3ph down = empty sight glass

GD

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
If it makes you feel better my 2501 needed hydraulic fluid added several times during the first 10 or so hours. I thought it was low when I got it but when new the fluid is so clear it’s hard to tell on the white back ground of the window. I added a quart and it looked fine. Then it looked low again and added another quart. I still have the 3rd quart I bought but have not needed it as it seemed to have settled and I have 140 hours on it now.

JasonY

Equipment
Kubota L2501HST, FEL, EAXtreme 60" shredder, EA 60" box blade, EA Pallet forks
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
From the posts I see here, seems like the front axles are often low on fluid when delivered to the customer.
My L2501 was delivered the other day from the dealer (Ewald Kubota in Georgetown Tx). The delivery guy also did the initial assembly and fluid install. I asked him about the front axle and he said that they come pre-filled from the manufacturer. I asked him to show me the drain plug and he couldn't find it, so he then said "I think you have to get yourself a siphon and suck it out of the fill hole when the time comes to change it".

I didn't check it since he was adamant. I've only used it for 3.3 hours but now I'm worried that maybe he *didn't* fill the axle and I've been using it.

Sheesh, should I worry?

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Sheesh, should I worry?
Yes!!!

Check it now. The big plug on the axle. (On left side of axle if you are standing in front of the tractor looking at it.) The smaller one on other side is the seep plug to indicate you have it full.

Once you verify it needs oil, go back to dealer and have them give you 5 quarts of gear oil.

JasonY

Equipment
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
When the guy dropped it off the other day and did the walk around he was unable to find the drain valves for the front axle. He said "I don't really know these that well". He also said "I guess you siphon it out?". He also said "most of these come with fluid from the factory. I was..... unimpressed with his knowledge. Keep in mind- this guy was the one who assembled my tractor and put all the fluids in.

I've already put 3 hours on it playing around, digging holes, and pulling down fence posts. If there's no fluid in the front axle there will be Firm Words Spoken at the dealership.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
When the guy dropped it off the other day and did the walk around he was unable to find the drain valves for the front axle. He said "I don't really know these that well". He also said "I guess you siphon it out?". He also said "most of these come with fluid from the factory. I was..... unimpressed with his knowledge. Keep in mind- this guy was the one who assembled my tractor and put all the fluids in.

I've already put 3 hours on it playing around, digging holes, and pulling down fence posts. If there's no fluid in the front axle there will be Firm Words Spoken at the dealership.
It sort of sounds like my situation. I think the guy that "assembled" mine was probably about on the same level. The axle has a drain plug on each end of the axle down near the bottom of each wheel assembly. Of course, you do not need to touch those until you want to drain the oil.

From reading and looking around and hearing from others, it is suspected that the axle assembly is shipped from Japan with some fluid, but the dealer has to to fill it up once assembled. Apparently this a COMMON problem with dealers all over the country. It really infuriates me to see this being so common an issue. Kubota needs to send out a service bulletin or something. I've even thought about reaching out to them over the issue, but doubt it would do anything.

The plug is a 27mm I do believe. I did not have the correct size at first and had to use a large crescent wrench to loosen it. If you see no chipping of grey paint on the plug, chances are it has not been checked and topped off with fluids. Fortunately, you only have 3 hours on the tractor. I think I had 30 on mine. I have since drained it and checked the oil. It looked fine. I think I had about 1 1/2 quarts (guessing) in it when I found out it was low. I even ran a magnet through it and picked up nothing.

But, certainly check it. From what you are saying, I bet they have not put oil in it.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Maybe those pics will help. First pic you can see where the plug you remove to watch for oil to dribble out when you top it off. Other one shows where fill plug is. I think the seep plug is 14mm and is the same as drain plugs on each side, but cannot be seen as they are on the lower part of the axle on opposite side.

JasonY

Equipment
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
It sort of sounds like my situation. I think the guy that "assembled" mine was probably about on the same level. The axle has a drain plug on each end of the axle down near the bottom of each wheel assembly. Of course, you do not need to touch those until you want to drain the oil.

From reading and looking around and hearing from others, it is suspected that the axle assembly is shipped from Japan with some fluid, but the dealer has to to fill it up once assembled. Apparently this a COMMON problem with dealers all over the country. It really infuriates me to see this being so common an issue. Kubota needs to send out a service bulletin or something. I've even thought about reaching out to them over the issue, but doubt it would do anything.

The plug is a 27mm I do believe. I did not have the correct size at first and had to use a large crescent wrench to loosen it. If you see no chipping of grey paint on the plug, chances are it has not been checked and topped off with fluids. Fortunately, you only have 3 hours on the tractor. I think I had 30 on mine. I have since drained it and checked the oil. It looked fine. I think I had about 1 1/2 quarts (guessing) in it when I found out it was low. I even ran a magnet through it and picked up nothing.

But, certainly check it. From what you are saying, I bet they have not put oil in it.
Oh wow, thanks so much for the note. On the one hand, it infuriates me that something so simple would be consistently missed. That tells me that *every* similar tractor has the same assembly mistake by the same tech. That's unforgivable.

But if you have 30 hours on it and it's okay then that makes me feel a lot better. I'll check it next time I'm out there (alas it lives 20 miles away).

Got an email in to the dealer. We videoed the delivery and I have him saying it on the tape. Next thing to do is to check the level and see if the tech needs more training. Unbelievable.