New L2501 Delivere W/R14 instead R4 Tires?

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
Messicks made some videos on the R14, including a video R14 vs R4

Thanks for the post. I have watched these videos before and they didn’t convince me the R14 is better than the R4 except possibly in hard surface situations which I don’t get into very often and possibly muddy situations which I also don’t have much of unless I’m tearing up the property. I have no plans in tearing it up. One of the videos seems like he was trying to promote the bar turf tire. I appreciate your input on the subject.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If the R14 have the same load capacity I'd go with the more aggressive tread design. Cheaper than grooving the tires later!

If you do a lot of loader work the R4's will probably tear up the ground less. Worse on traction when it gets muddy.

Reactions: 1 user

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I ended up getting the R14s on my B2601. I needed an all around machine - snow removal, mowing, loader/general landscaping work. Seemed like the R14 was the best bet.

In the end, either tire will probably work just fine for you. You could go with the R14s and after a year or two decide if they are right for you or not. I might be reading the market wrong, but it seems like they are really popular. Might be fun to jump on that train.

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
I ended up getting the R14s on my B2601. I needed an all around machine - snow removal, mowing, loader/general landscaping work. Seemed like the R14 was the best bet.

In the end, either tire will probably work just fine for you. You could go with the R14s and after a year or two decide if they are right for you or not. I might be reading the market wrong, but it seems like they are really popular. Might be fun to jump on that train.
How are they working out for you doing loader work? Are they easy on your lawn when mowing?
Thanks for your input.

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
If the R14 have the same load capacity I'd go with the more aggressive tread design. Cheaper than grooving the tires later!

If you do a lot of loader work the R4's will probably tear up the ground less. Worse on traction when it gets muddy.
The R14 have a load capacity of 4080. I am not positive on the size R4 required on my tractor, but I have seen data indicating maybe 5000+ load capacity.

Seems like the R14 may be a little light on the capacity to use max loader capacity or am I not understanding this correctly?
Thanks.

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
I think what works is what you need to use the tractor for... I have posted in several threads on the R14s that the dealer convinced me to put on my LX3310. On smooth ground or if traction is needed, they are better than R4s but they are bouncy at any pressure (mine are filled) and do not feel as stable on slopes when driving sideways (feels like the sidewall is squishy). So, I ordered a set of rims and R4s, and I am much happier for my use which is mostly mowing pasture with hills....

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
I think what works is what you need to use the tractor for... I have posted in several threads on the R14s that the dealer convinced me to put on my LX3310. On smooth ground or if traction is needed, they are better than R4s but they are bouncy at any pressure (mine are filled) and do not feel as stable on slopes when driving sideways (feels like the sidewall is squishy). So, I ordered a set of rims and R4s, and I am much happier for my use which is mostly mowing pasture with hills....
I have noticed the same bounce you are talking about although these are not filled yet. I have slopes and they all lead to a pond eventually. I really don’t have a very flat spot on my 10 acres. I like the theory of the R14, but my gut is telling me the R4 is what I need. Can you tell me which tire left more of a mark on the turf?

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
How are they working out for you doing loader work? Are they easy on your lawn when mowing?
Thanks for your input.
They have worked fine using the loader, granted I'm not doing anything crazy. I've picked up heavy stuff (snap on toolbox - maxing out my loader) with them and they seem to flex more than my dad L3901 with R4s.

They worked fine mowing my yard - we have a rural country type lawn.

Based on some of your posts, I feel like you want the R4s. I'd recommend going with those. I don't think it's going to hurt anyone, the dealer should be happy since R14s are in demand and they can upcharge the next guy, and you get the tires you ordered/wanted.

If one of my use cases hadn't been mowing, I probably would have went with the R4s. I think they are fine on the lawn if you are reasonably careful when you have the periodic landscaping/loader work to do.

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
Can you tell me which tire left more of a mark on the turf?
Kind of a wash, I would say they both do about the same on grass. The only time it should matter is when turning, the fronts R14s tear up more than R4s but the rear R4 tends to spin more which tears up the grass a little. In my case, I mow pasture mostly where I make wide slow turns, so not a concern for me. Now, my wife likes to make sharp u-turns using the brakes...