New L1500 Owner Question

monkeysimple

Equipment
L1500
Apr 24, 2018
Brandon, MS
Hello, I just purchased an early model L1500. We were changing the fluids and filters today. Ours has the canister type oil filter (not spin on). In researching the replacement filter, I saw someone saying there is a spring inside the canister. Ours does not have one. Is it possible that it should not have a spring? If it should have a spring, does anyone have a part number and information on how to get one? Thanks in advance for your help.

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Hello, I just purchased an early model L1500. We were changing the fluids and filters today. Ours has the canister type oil filter (not spin on). In researching the replacement filter, I saw someone saying there is a spring inside the canister. Ours does not have one. Is it possible that it should not have a spring? If it should have a spring, does anyone have a part number and information on how to get one? Thanks in advance for your help.

I don’t remember seeing a spring but could be mistaken. I’m sure there is probably a spring in the filter assembly (not the filter) for the pressure valve. Maybe that’s what you read? Do you have the link?

Maybe one of the more experienced members can check me on that.

If I recall from when I did mine it was removal of the bolt and the cover for the filter. Then there is an o ring that comes with the filter. Those are the pieces I replaced.

- Mike

monkeysimple

Equipment
L1500
Apr 24, 2018
Brandon, MS
The thread I saw implied the spring was on the rod to hold the filter tight so the oil couldn't bypass the filter under pressure. I don't have the link, but will search for it. I do recall that it was from several years back. Thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com

Attached is the oil filter diagram;

Attachments

RickCf

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, 5ft Land Pride Rotary Cutter , 5ft Land Pride Tiller, Misc. other imp.
Jun 7, 2018
Hernando, MS
Without the spring the filter could move back on the canister bolt and bypass the filter. Not good, but really not good if you only change oil once a year.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
With that style of filter there is a caution. The flat sealing ring #4 that seals the metal can to the main body of the filter #1, is, on old machines, sometimes so compressed and hardened that you think is is part of the assembly. You install a new flat face seal on top of the old hard one and start having leaks.

Double check that the new ring is seating on bright aluminum and not a hard old ring.

Dave

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
That spring probably isn't necessary that it's an OE part. I'd be off to the hardware store for something that fits the shaft. Then cut it to length just so it's keeping tension on the cartridge.

Last edited:

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
I have not been able to find that spring. Does anyone have a source for those parts?

I went a different route and found a used “15213-32070” which converts to a spin on filter vs the cartridges. No more spring and no more expensive filters although I like the look of the cartridge better :)

I’ve not had time to put it on yet but others before me have had success.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I went a different route and found a used “15213-32070” which converts to a spin on filter vs the cartridges. No more spring and no more expensive filters although I like the look of the cartridge better :)

I’ve not had time to put it on yet but others before me have had success.
When I still had my Nuffield 465, many owners where converting to a spin on filter. Before jumping in, I spent some time checking flow and filtration performance of the two filters. The one someone had chosen for the replacement spin on style, had flow rates much lower that the OEM filter and would have been having a lot of oil bypassing the filter because of the pressure drop due to too high a flow rate.

If you are going this route, find out the flow rate of the oiling system in your engine and then ask a manufacturer like Fram to advise if the filter you are about to use is adequate. I am not saying to avoid the change but rather just to double check that you are replacing like with like.

As far as the filter spring is concerned, most tractor wrecking yards would have old style filters and internal parts as they were the common style for decades.

Dave

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
When I still had my Nuffield 465, many owners where converting to a spin on filter. Before jumping in, I spent some time checking flow and filtration performance of the two filters. The one someone had chosen for the replacement spin on style, had flow rates much lower that the OEM filter and would have been having a lot of oil bypassing the filter because of the pressure drop due to too high a flow rate.

If you are going this route, find out the flow rate of the oiling system in your engine and then ask a manufacturer like Fram to advise if the filter you are about to use is adequate. I am not saying to avoid the change but rather just to double check that you are replacing like with like.

As far as the filter spring is concerned, most tractor wrecking yards would have old style filters and internal parts as they were the common style for decades.

Dave

Thanks Dave. The z750 oil flow rate is 4.23 gpm. The spin on filter called for is the wix or equivalent 51342. It’s rated at max flow rate of 7-9gpm. So seems probably safe assuming the used spin on block part is good. Not sure how I would test the fail open mechanism to make sure it’s not stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk