New L 3800

jeepfreak1972

Equipment
2011 L3800 HST
Oct 28, 2010
Ravenna, MI
Loving my new L3800. I do have one complaint. I knew this going in but I just have to say it. Why is there a clutch on a Hydrostatic drive tractor? Seems like a wast of money to put one on. It ads another item to wear out and prevents them from putting brakes on the left side allowing real use of the steering offered by applying one brake at a time. My 2520 deere had the brakes on the left and no clutch and it worked beautifully just to bad it was not orange. Any way the L3800 is a fantastic tractor so far except for this minor irritation. Oh and if I don't use the clutch other than the necessary push in for starting, should I be concerned about the life of my clutch like a gear shift model? I would not think so but I must ask.

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Your L3800 has individual braking, just undo the clip holding the pedals together. Also, You MUST use the foot clutch to engage the PTO! the PTO lever is not a clutch it is a simple sprag shifter.
Ed

jeepfreak1972

Equipment
2011 L3800 HST
Oct 28, 2010
Ravenna, MI
I know there are individual brakes, they are just on the same side as the HST pedal making them nearly useless. My tractor does not have cruise control so locking that on to use the turning brake is not an option. I did not give the PTO a second thought as I have not used it. Makes sense to need the clutch for that. My deere had a switch that turned the rear, mid or both PTOs on that required no clutch.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The cruise control lever is a dealer install option, I would install it if the tractor were mine. The Kubota BX tractors and the larger L series all have an independant PTO with it's own clutch. The B series that have a foot clutch do not and small frame L series do not.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I just got my L3800 HST and had the Cruise Control put on it. For $180 - it was a no brainer when I was spending close to 20K on the whole unit.

Oh - By the way - the tractor is being stored right now - but PICS will follow once the weather breaks here in Michigan. (Darn snow!)

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I finally got the tractor and have had for about 30 days now. What a workhorse !!! This tractor must think its really a DOZER - the way it climbs up banks and hills even with a loaded bucket. I'm really glad I got the added HP from the L3800 versus the L3400. The Hydro works absolutely great with the FEL. I can't imagine the clutching and shifting I would be doing if I had purchased a manual trans. My many many thanks to everyone out there for steering me in the right direction. Pictures will be coming soon........