New BX23S: Not sure I purchased best QA skid steer fork set...

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
I purchased a new BX23S tractor package from a dealer last Friday and it arrived on Saturday. Thrilled with the purchase, but have some concerns about the QA pallet fork set I ended up with and am wondering if I should have gone a different direction. To start, I believe the dealer was earnestly trying to help me out - I just don't know if things turned out for the best. I'm concerned that the fork set I ended up with may be too heavy.

Here is back story. This was 2nd dealer I worked with after the first was simply not interested in selling me a tractor. The 2nd was a completely different experience and everything went great and I couldn't be happier! One of the implements I wanted to roll into the purchase was a set of pallet forks. I was inclined to go with the Kubotas. The 2nd dealer steered me away due to cost and suggested I go with a 3rd party at about half the cost. I agreed not considering weight implications. I got my tractor and forks and am now wondering if I saved money while losing FEL capacity due to the robust design of these bad boys. They are *heavy*. I asked the dealer how much the weigh and was told "around 150". I tried to pick them up (I can handle 150) and there was *no way*. I started to get a little concerned, since the forks appear to be generic "no names" (can't find a serial number or manufacturer sticker on them) although they appear to be new...

In researching QA pallet forks or similar design, dimensions, and fork length - it looks like they should weigh around 225-250. That is certainly more inline with my "seat of the pants" weight guess.

Anyone know what the Kubota QA fork attachment runs weight wise? As the FEL on the subcompacts is already limited weight wise (more so on the Q/A models) I'm wondering if I was penny wise and pound foolish (literally in this case) regarding this purchase.

I'm also guessing, as I wanted the tractor ASAP, and now knowing what I know about how the whole financing thing works with Kubota (serialized implements must be listed on sales contract and they probably didn't have a set of Kubota forks on hand) he may have also be suggesting the no-name forks to help me get out the sooner.

I'm just thinking that I might be loosing a lot weight wise and wondering if I should go back to dealer, ask him to take forks back, pay a couple hundred out of pocket more to get something with less weight penalty.

Thanks for any insight.

Calvin

Last edited:

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
There are a few manufacturers that make forks appropriately sized for a subcompact. Then there’s everyone else. The fact the ones you got are unbranded, makes me think you got some “everyone else” that are waaaay too heavy for your machine. I have AI2 Industries and they are awesome. I could easily move them by hand. Well maybe not completely but I can easily rock them onto a pallet one side at a time. [/URL] https://bxattachments.com/ If the ones you got are as heavy ...t point? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I did a quick look at Palletforks.com and one set of their 42 inch forks have this as the weight:

Specifications:
- Total Weight: 283 lb
- Frame Weight: 105 lb
- Fork Weight: 89 lb each
- Width: 45.5"
- Height: 19"
- Fork length: 42"

The frame you got may be around 150 pounds, but when you add the forks, it's probably close to this.

EDIT: Just looked at the LandPride site and found this:

Land Prides new economy Pallet Fork, the PFL1242, is a 1,200 lb. capacity fork, specifically designed for sub compact and compact tractors. The unit weighs in at just 220 lbs and forks on the model are class I, 1¼" x 3" x 42". The 5 position rail allows the user to set forks in a variety of widths and are held in place by a spring loaded toggle. For safety, the back guard is 3/16".

Last edited:

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
And for comparison purposes, my AI2 is 162lbs with forks. 1500lbs lifting capacity. For reference, the factory bucket weighs 140lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsims

Equipment
BX2380 60"Drive Over/SSQA Loader
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
I've been really inclined to get the AI2 Products pallet forks for my BX2380. They look well built, its supporting a small business, and a vet. I just haven't warmed up to the price just yet.

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
I just took a look at the AI2 set - they look nice! They are also out of my league price wise at ~$870. (not including shipping)

Assuming (based on the info above) I'm in the ballpark at around 250lbs in weight for everything else - I'm not going to sweat it. If the Kubota forks came in around 160 - I'd be inclined to ask dealer to exchange them out with me paying the difference. I'm guessing a similar option might not be available through dealer for the AI2s.

-Calvin

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I just took a look at the AI2 set - they look nice! They are also out of my league price wise at ~$870. (not including shipping)

Assuming (based on the info above) I'm in the ballpark at around 250lbs in weight for everything else - I'm not going to sweat it. If the Kubota forks came in around 160 - I'd be inclined to ask dealer to exchange them out with me paying the difference. I'm guessing a similar option might not be available through dealer for the AI2s.

-Calvin

The “Kubota” brand is probably LandPride. 220Lbs. https://www.landpride.com/products/6119/pfl12-series-pallet-forks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Calvin, I'll bet you're within 50 lbs of the LandPrides and that's not going to make any practical difference in lifting capability. I think you should relax and enjoy the savings you've made. ;)

PS: "Lifting" capacity of forks is sales hype in most cases and in any case, is not what you're asking. Hollow tines are lighter...and sales brochures will claim higher "lifting capacity"....but they are also weaker and can fail.... The solid tines you've acquired are much better.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I just looked at mine....It's an HLA pallet fork , says 900# capacity,42" long. The forks are 3" wide. MUCH lighter than my real forklift forks 42" units(4" wide and HEAVY!)

Have to admit it'll take a LOT of time to get used to the 'touchy' controls !!