New BX2380 ROPS pin holes not lining up

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Hello all, I'm a new Kubota BX2380 owner (only have tractor with 60" mower deck, waiting on back ordered loader).

For the time being, I am parking it in my garage and need to lower the ROPS to clear. Ever since I took delivery I had to beat one pin out/in with mallet. After 2.6hr of use, it wouldn't start so dealer came out to pick it up yesterday, fixed it (loose wiring at starter) and delivered it this morning. I asked them to fix a few other issues (1 spring was not attached to bottom of seat) and the pin in the ROPS bar was so tight one one side (fine on the other) that I had to beat with mallet to put it in and pull it out. Now, i can't get the one pin in at all with the ROPS up. I called dealer and waiting on call back - he said they looked at it yesterday (i think they adjusted it so it fits when down, not up as it was delivered this morning with the ROPS lowered) . In the mean time, does anyone know of any tricks to see if I can adjust this myself instead?

it looks like there's one bolt per side where two ROPS pieces connect (both are slightly lose where i can spin them a tad). Also looks like there's 2 bolts behind seat where lower bar attaches.

With ROPS up, the one side, looking toward seat, I can see the lower hole is too high for the upper hole and i can't seem to get the upper bar low enough to get pin to fit (mallet trick won't work as the gap between the two is to great). So it seems either I need to lower the upper section or raise the lower section, but only on the one side.

Thanks!

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I'd stop messing with it and tell the dealer to fix the issue.

The operation of the rops should not require a mallet, the removal of the 2 bolts and the pivoting of the rops should be smooth and the holes should line up.

I appreciate it is a tractor but you just paid for a new piece of equipment. I don't raise and lower mine too much but when I do all 3 of my Kubota tractors have smooth operating ROPS with holes that line up.

Good luck with this issue, I would meet at the dealer before they deliver it back to you to check and go through the ROPS operation with them.

itsaz

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, Box Blade, Wood Chipper, Rotary Cutter
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
When my BX2670 was new, I had a similar problem with the ROPS. Turns out the dealership put the hinge bolt in the wrong hole when they assembled it. Check the diagrams in the Owner's Manual for the proper hinge point.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
When my BX2670 was new, I had a similar problem with the ROPS. Turns out the dealership put the hinge bolt in the wrong hole when they assembled it. Check the diagrams in the Owner's Manual for the proper hinge point.
There have been quite a few complaints of this here on OTT - dealers putting them together wrong.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds familiar.. the starter issue. The 'cure' is to make sure the connector is on snug THEN take a tyrap and secure the wire to the harness or whatever's nearby. Hay it's HOT here otherwise I'd go out and see what I did 2 years ago..... But it is a SIMPLE, EASY cure....
As for the ROPS, I've got the top section off as I'm making a shorter one so I CAN drive into my garage NOT into the doorjamb.... The nut/bolt that hold it on and is the pivot needs to be kinda loose, 's'nug, not Snug ot TIGHT. It needs a bit of 'give' to lineup the holes to get the pin in. Hope this helps.

japollner

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 23, 2018
GREENFIELD
I actually mention this in a video I posted on Thursday. I got a lot of responses from folks who have the same issue. I also got a lot of responses to simply adjust the knobs on the ROPS. The problem is not the knobs which compensate for lateral movement. It’s a misalignment vertically.

MFFI422

Equipment
BX2380 -Drive Over Mower Deck- LP Tiller - FEL - LP Box Blade - LP QH - Canopy
Jun 10, 2020
Arkansas
Same here I found out today. Had to flip them all.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
On my BX2370 the ROPS was not assembled correctly at the dealership. I had to swap the bolts and pins to allow movement.

MFFI422

Equipment
BX2380 -Drive Over Mower Deck- LP Tiller - FEL - LP Box Blade - LP QH - Canopy
Jun 10, 2020
Arkansas
On my BX2370 the ROPS was not assembled correctly at the dealership. I had to swap the bolts and pins to allow movement.
Same

molson

Equipment
B2650
Jan 31, 2015
neverland
I had this exact same thing happen on my 2370. They asked me to try a few different things, but I replied it should have had a working safety device as it was delivered and I said I would not mess with it. They eventually sent out their tech to my place and he quickly found the bolts wwere in the wrong hole.

He was clearly not impressed that two people came all the way out to move a couple bolts, but i figured that it's not my problem to fix.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
In my case pins were correct. I had taken off the adjustment hand knobs to make easier installing a soft cab. When I put back on, didn't tighten equally and it caused a problem getting both pins in. Loosened both up, got the pins in, then lightly adjusted back until it lined up nice and stayed that way. May not be your issue but worth a check?

EricSchuster

Equipment
L4760
Jul 18, 2020
Florida
The ROPS on my 4760 was assembled with the pivot pins way over tightened. Was an absolute bitch to put in lock pins. Loosened the pivot bots a couple of turns and now is easy to fold/unfold. Guess dealership loves impact guns. Same over tightening issue ccx with rotary mower from same dealer....

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Dealer did "adjust" it. Initial they said they couldn't grind because it was a safety issue, looks like they did grind the holes. All works, both pins slide in easy by hand when up or down - no more rubber mallet needed.

northvibe

Equipment
BX1880
Aug 6, 2020
Minnesota
whoa! glad I am not the only one with a ROPS issue. I couldn't even lower mine down (fit it in the garage) without beating the pins out. Is the manual the one under my tractor seat? or the one I should of asked for when I bought it and now don't have it.....

Willie1

Equipment
BX2370
Apr 17, 2015
Bruceton Mills, WV
Had a similar problem on my BX2370. Pins hard to line up, hard to raise and lower. Tried several things, loosen bolts, lube, etc. Even tried enlarging pin holes. It seems to be high strength steel, metal seemed very hard to drill. Finally got irritated enough with it that I took it apart at the hinge. Found there was about 1 1/2 inch difference between the width of the upper and lower parts. A little "fine tuning" with a Hi-Lift jack and it works much better now.