New bx 25d questions

mathews xt 600

Feb 15, 2015
Millersburg
Looking at buying a new bx 25d. I'm going to be in the woods with it quite a bit. I read the hydraulic fan could be easily damage by twigs. Is this a real concern or is it a small issue that can be remedied somehow. Thanks

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Take a look at underneath . Mine is a 2014 and it has a shield on it . Must be they realized they had a problem there and started making them with a shield . Granted its not much of a cover but can see where it would be pretty hard for anything to get in there . Wish I could upload a pic of it but PC is down and can't upload from my phone . If you really want to be covered , bro-tek makes a nice one .

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
That fan is well protected on new BX models.

I have a BX but no back-hoe. I see no use for a dinky back-hoe in the woods.
Rent a back-hoe if you ever need one. BX is a handy machine, but small. If I was pulling logs, handling cord wood, etc. in rough areas, I would not use it there. Low ground clearance, limited bucket lift height, crummy control on three point, etc. I say this because I have used somewhat larger blue machines in the woods of Wisconsin and even then, sometimes it was a lot for them. The BX is fine for my use on a city lot doing light work, but not logging or fire wood work. You won't regret going larger.

Instead think about a low hours larger used tractor at same or less investment with better ability to do the rough work out there.

mathews xt 600

Feb 15, 2015
Millersburg
OK thanks for the info. I'm not doing serious logging but there are a few dead falls that I would like to get out. It will be used for snow and small projects around the house. I live on 19 acres of mountain land and love to hunt so I'm sure I can find a use for it in the woods. I appreciate the help

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Had to replace the fan on my BX-23. It took quite a bit of work so I decided to buy a shield from Bxpanded. Not sure about the BX-25 but I would be paranoid using my machine in the woods without a shield. No problems since the shield installation.

Most of the time I keep my backhoe off because I use my flail mower more often but for digging around moderate to small size stumps to remove them the backhoe is really handy. I built a trail in the woods for a four wheeler and the backhoe was helpful. It is also great for laying water pipe and underground wire. I occasionally use my machine to move a tree that has been cut or fallen but would but would have something larger if I was a professional logger.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I have a bx25d and us it to romp around my back woods with a back hoe with out a problem!

Moving logs, rocks and digging out stumps.
Dug a 500' ditch, a little slow with the limited reach but did it at my own pace.

There is a guard around the fan but it does not look bullet proof.
I found this in other posts and will get one this spring.

http://bxpanded.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=60

Ray

mathews xt 600

Feb 15, 2015
Millersburg
Thanks for the help. I went with a used b2620 with 11 hours on it. Mower loader and back hoe. Should be here Wed or Thurs. It still has 2 and a half years of the factory warrant which was important to me. Do you guys think I would have an issue mowing on my sand mount. It weighs right around 2000 lbs with the loader on.