New B2601 reverse speed

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hello everyone, Two questions. I had my new rig delivered today and almost immediately set out to cut the grass. About 2 acres of it. I had the RPMs set a little over 2,000 and the tractor in the medium speed mode. First question; Is reverse supposed to be meaningfully slower than when traveling forward? Seems to crawl in reverse. As far as first impressions are concerned it gives a very nice cut with the 60 inch deck. Also, I was surprised by how maneuverable it is. Second question; Would it be a poor idea to attempt cutting in the high range? Tomorrow I will attempt "loader work". That is , using the bucket instead of a wheelbarrow. It is an impressive little tractor. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: 1 user

Parrothead127

Equipment
L2501 with FEL
Apr 3, 2021
East of Atlanta
Reverse is always going to slower than forward speeds. As far as cutting in high range, it would probably depend on the height of the grass. I don’t have HST but I would think you wouldn’t have to run it full speed, a little slower. Your tractor will let you know by rpm’s. You can do a lot of work with a tractor as long as your patient.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I will bet the operator manual will tell you that high range is for traveling or a road gear. Something to that effect. Used the mid range for 75% of what you do. Low range maybe 22% and High range for 3%.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
If the middle speed is too slow, ramp up yer RPM. You should be mowing at about 2500. High gear is gonna really make the HS groan at 2000.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
If the middle speed is too slow, ramp up yer RPM. You should be mowing at about 2500. High gear is gonna really make the HS groan at 2000.
I ramped the RPM it still crawls in reverse. I had a Steiner before. Not quite a zero turn but probably twice as fast as the B2600 in middle range with RPM ramped. Not complaining, a different animal altogether.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
They definitely go slower in reverse, but more than a crawl. Does the pedal go all the way to the floor in reverse? If I wear work boots, I have a hard time fitting my whole shoe in the little space Kubota made there.
OTOH it might need an adjustment.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
They definitely go slower in reverse, but more than a crawl. Does the pedal go all the way to the floor in reverse? If I wear work boots, I have a hard time fitting my whole shoe in the little space Kubota made there.
OTOH it might need an adjustment.
The pedal does go to the floor. Today to clean the mud from the new turf tires I put it in high range and "opened her up" on my lightly trafficked suburban street. Felt good , I don't believe there is anything wrong with it necessarily. It is good to know that it supposed to move slower in reverse.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The pedal does go to the floor. Today to clean the mud from the new turf tires I put it in high range and "opened her up" on my lightly trafficked suburban street. Felt good , I don't believe there is anything wrong with it necessarily. It is good to know that it supposed to move slower in reverse.
Brand new tractor. Read the manual as far as how to break the engine in initially.

I don't remember for sure, but THINK I had to keep the RPMs down a bit during the initial so many hours...Maybe even run at different RPS at different times. It has been a while...

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I agree with the others, definitely slower in reverse.
I keep my B2601 in M gear while mowing @ 2,200 RPM. I wouldn’t recommend mowing in H gear as it tends to bog the tractor. Mowing in M is the perfect speed for my imperfect property.

Mike