New b2601 Hydro creeps forward

RichBob

Equipment
B2601
Jan 28, 2022
newport wa
My new 2601 with the trendle pedal . When released from forward, it remains in a very slow forward motion until I tap reverse or get my toe under the forward pedal. Why does it do this? 66 hrs on tractor and is possessed or just voodoo??

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It may need to be lubricated but while you're at it check for anything which may be binding, restricting its return to center.

RichBob

Equipment
B2601
Jan 28, 2022
newport wa
The treadle pedal needs to be lubed!
You will find a grease fitting under the tractor below the pedal.
Good Luck!
Thanks! Did think about this as the grease Kubota may have used gets too stiff in the cold weather. Had -21 last week. Going to pump it all out and replace with extreme cold temp grease.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Lube it.

For safety; apply the parking brake when you intend for the machine to remain stationary.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
My new 2601 with the trendle pedal . When released from forward, it remains in a very slow forward motion until I tap reverse or get my toe under the forward pedal. Why does it do this? 66 hrs on tractor and is possessed or just voodoo??
Hello RichBob,

I do not believe that the treadle pedal has a grease fitting. I could be wrong, but I looked up the parts diagram, and there does not seen to be one. Here is a link to the Kubota parts site. Have a look and see what you think.

Good luck with it.
Bob (poor Bob)

Reactions: 1 user

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I agree with @19thSF , I don't remember a grease fitting on my B2601 treadle pedal.

75th Ranger Regt here @poor Bob :) (y)

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I also agree with 19thSF, on my B2601 there are no grease fittings on the Treadle Peddle shaft, the only grease fitting is on the brakes . However there is a you tube video on the stiff spring issue where the guy talks about how he installed the grease fittings on his treadle peddle shaft though.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
I installed a grease fitting on my B2601 treadle shaft it does help some, just be sure you use very thin grease, or it will make peddle hang in cold temperatures.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Is your pedal driving a mechanical valve or is it drive by wire?

If the machine is stored outdoors in below freezing temps then it may be an operator/maintenance issue with snow/ice buildup on linkages.

Road salt and corrosion can affect wire harness connections on drive by wire setups.

Generally speaking I'd say New Machine = Warranty Issue and dealer should be fixing this for you if something is out of adjustment

RichBob

Equipment
B2601
Jan 28, 2022
newport wa
I installed a grease fitting on my B2601 treadle shaft it does help some, just be sure you use very thin grease, or it will make peddle hang in cold temperatures.
I agree! The grease zerk is on the wrong end of the shaft to allow a change of grease through the entire shaft. I have watched the video of adding a second grease zerk and wondering if I can do this without pulling the entire shaft out. Drilling and tapping a new fitting should be fairly simple but on the other end.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I agree! The grease zerk is on the wrong end of the shaft to allow a change of grease through the entire shaft. I have watched the video of adding a second grease zerk and wondering if I can do this without pulling the entire shaft out. Drilling and tapping a new fitting should be fairly simple but on the other end.
I would recommend if everything else as it should be consider stripping the old grease and reassembling with an aluminum complex grease designed for cold temp regions. All my kubotas HST's had similar slow treadle response when released and left to recenter when in cold temps like -30 and more. I guess they use an avg. type grease for general conditions so us cold weather folks find it too slow/thick/sticky.

Cheers

RichBob

Equipment
B2601
Jan 28, 2022
newport wa
Thanks! Did think about this as the grease Kubota may have used gets too stiff in the cold weather. Had -21 last week. Going to pump it all out and replace with extreme cold temp grease.
I found discovered the grease fitting is on the wrong end of the shaft and w/o tearing the who thing apart, you cannot just change out the old grease. Very poor design!

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
I would recommend if everything else as it should be consider stripping the old grease and reassembling with an aluminum complex grease designed for cold temp regions. All my kubotas HST's had similar slow treadle response when released and left to recenter when in cold temps like -30 and more. I guess they use an avg. type grease for general conditions so us cold weather folks find it too slow/thick/sticky.

Cheers
I installed the fitting to the center of the shaft. I did not remove the shaft, was able to carefully drill and tap outer shaft for a pipe thread zerk fitting. So far it has helped with the treadle pedal movement, however, I have not had very cold temps here so that has not been tested.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I installed the fitting to the center of the shaft. I did not remove the shaft, was able to carefully drill and tap outer shaft for a pipe thread zerk fitting. So far it has helped with the treadle pedal movement, however, I have not had very cold temps here so that has not been tested.
I simply drilled a small hole and use a needle type grease gun tip.
1673341772645.png

I put a hose clamp over the hole to keep the dirt out and slide it aside for greasing.

Reactions: 3 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
great to hear you found solution to getting grease in. Now to get the right grease in maybe next issue?

A short story.... bought a new / very expensive hydro winch for a piece of equipment I own. When spooling the winch out under power it was 100% correct. However when the gears were disengaged and cable spooled out manually it was very ver stiff and squealed like a weaning pig getting its iron shot!! Found out the shaft was dry on a NEW and expensive winch even though nipple showed grease on it. Found out grease nipple was plugged so no grease got onto the shaft during manufacturing at the factory! moral of story even very expensive stuff / new / that looks greased / from top shelf manufacturers may not be greased at all.

RichBob

Equipment
B2601
Jan 28, 2022
newport wa
I simply drilled a small hole and use a needle type grease gun tip.
View attachment 93721
I put a hose clamp over the hole to keep the dirt out and slide it aside for greasing.
Wow, we have been having the same dreams except I am going to drill the hole farther to the dead end of the shaft and pump grease to the zerk end. Really similar to greasing the end of a chain saw bar.

Danmd

Equipment
B2601 + 15 implements
Feb 6, 2017
Huntley,Illinois,usa
My b2601 does not have a grease fitting for the treadle peddle. But it does have a gas strut in the linkage underneath, and in cold weather that strut gets stiff. So forward motion hangs up a bit. Kubota calls this part a “damper”, and it is part number 6C350-43350 $111.65.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
No grease fitting on this shaft
I drilled a small hole in the center of the tube that the pedal shaft goes thru so I can grease it with a needle point on the grease gun. I added a hose clamp to cover the drilled hole to keep dirt out. The hose clamp is moved aside to add grease.