New 4701 pto kicking out

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
Hello- I am the new owner of an l4701 gear drive. Coming from an older l3000dt I’m sure I’ll run into several questions and appreciate all help in advance

this evening using my bushog for the first time I found that after working for a while if I’d stop to move or maneuver the tractor for some reason that when I’d renegage the pto it wouldn’t stay engaged. It migh lock in. For a few seconds but then Kick out. If I’d hold it it down it would take.
Now I did notice that once I backed the throttle from round 1000 rpm to idle it worked. But is that normal?
Second I notice that even at idle rpm it’s a rough start.
Any tips or things I may need to do differently. I don’t want to damage the tractor or mower.
Any info would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Since my L2501 is in the same family I'll assume your PTO is controlled much like mine. When the tractor was new it would kick out of PTO by itself. I looked carefully at the little engagement lever and played a bit. It wasn't moving freely. I lubricated it, worked it back and forth a couple times to spread the lube and it's worked fine since. I think I used molybdenum disulfide powder to limit dust attraction. I do always depress the clutch and engage PTO at idle, then ramp up to speed. I also depress the clutch when disengaging the PTO. The Kubota mechanic told me that reduces wear on the teeth.

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
Thank you. On my tractor now, the pto is in a turn knob instead of the clutch and lever version I had on my previous tractor so I’m not sure it will work the same as your describing. But I’ll take a look. I appreciate the help.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
My L4701 is a HST with the twist knob for the PTO. Mine doesn’t have a clutch at all so you can’t use the clutch for anything.

The operator manual, which covers both HST and gear, makes no differentiation between HST and gear in its description of PTO operation so I’m assuming yours and mine work the same (except I’ve never had a problem with mine). For HST it’s like an off/on switch, so you can’t ease it in like you can with a clutch and lever system. Idle all the way down as slow as it will go. Push the PTO knob down and turn it to the on position and increase throttle as desired. It should pop back up a little bit, which provides a mechanical block to it rattling itself off without being pushed down a little (same as putting a turn knob 4WD truck in 4W low). If it can pop off by itself, I’d have to think there’s something wrong with the turn knob switch. It shouldn’t be able to move from on to off or off to on without pushing it down.

Of course the engine will die if a safety switch breaks contact, such as if you engage the PTO while sitting in the seat and stand up without disengaging the PTO. However, the knob shouldn’t be able to move without being pushed down.

196F152E-88FB-4347-A70F-1F1559202BFF.png

If it’s not operating per the manual (pertinent page above) and it’s under warranty, I would suggest having the dealer take a look at it. Otherwise you might consider whether there’s a problem with the switch knob itself.

Last edited:

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
You indicated that you are the new owner of of the L4701 but I was wondering if it is a new L4701 or is it an older one?