New 1973 L175

L175 owner

Sep 10, 2014
Ga
Hey guys! I'm new to orange, and relatively new to tractors. I just got one a trade for a truck I had rusting in my yard. It came to me with a stuck clutch and no brakes, both of which have been remedied. My experience with tractors has pretty much been limited to some light bushhogging with an old MF TO30. I just have a few questions I was hoping you folks could assist me with.

First, are there any problem areas I should pay special attention to with this model? Anything prone to breakage?

Do I need to put any additives in with the fuel when I fill up? Yea, I'm new to diesels too! I've heard the low sulfer diesel now doesn't lubricate as well?

I plan on doing a bit of mowing on a couple acres with a finish mower, and also maybe a small garden and food plot work. Is a 5ft finish mower too much? I was going to go with a 4ft but having trouble finding any around here. I'll be cutting grass and nothing more.

Area I'll be doing the food plot on is low, sandy soil. It has some small brush, but I have someone who's going to clear that for me. It's not hard packed at all. Garden area would be pretty hard to begin with, with a fair amount of clay. What implements would be best? Any particular suggestions?

Tractor has turf tires, if that matters.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
The steering assembly, that mounts above the clutch has several seals that can wear out and let water in, freeze and blow the bottom of the assembly out. Mine is leaking, needs rebuild before freezing temps.

I have a Woods 60" belly finish mower. Havent hooked it up but a Google search proved it a popular setup.

Ive run a 4' brush hog, and recently a 4' flail. The flail ate alot of power, but results were soo nice.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Im running a 5' finish mower with my l1501, the offshore equivalent to l175. It mows nicer than my 48"husqvarna. It runs a 7' sickle mower with no effort at all. My three point forks lift a snowmobile with ease. Best investment i ever made. Only a couple tiny issues, all solved with the help here from various knowledgeable members.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
they overheat and crack heads if you don't take care of the radiator inside and more importantly the outside (keep fins clean and unclogged)

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
Speaking of the steering problems, there is a weep hole at the bottom of the steering shaft (in the housing) that needs to be cleared out to allow the rain water to flow right out.

It is a small hole that can be cleared with a pick or similar pointy tool.

If not cleared the water sits on top of the seal and eventually get inside the box and freezes resulting in a cracked steering box.

There is also supposed to be a rubber bushing at the top of the steering shaft that you can check the integrity of. You have to remove the steering wheel to do it.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Congrats on a great little tractor.
I have a similar model (L1801) which I've owned for 4 years.
Like you I had many questions and am still learning about the capabilities of my tractor.

You want to heed the warning regarding steering box failure, primarily if it's being stored outside.

Great advice also regarding keeping the rad and screen cleaned.
It relies on thermo-syphoning to keep cool so don't expect to find a coolant pump.

Find yourself a parts manual.
I may have a digital copy of the owners manual, will dig it up.

Feel free to email me directly if you're pressed for an answer.
Meanjeandj@hotmail. com