Need to make a drag, or buy a harrow

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
bearskinner,

I have all they tools you need, spike tooth harrow, spring tooth cultivator, and by next week a landscape rake, that is one trick tool for rocks, pine needles, and debris.
You are welcome to use them just give a shout. ;)
I would say if you buy any tool up here a landscape rake is the #1 tool!
Get one at North 40 for about $500.
That landscape rake looks awesome. I was at my neighbors place and he has an old harrow, that looks like its from the horse drawn days. He towed it behind his Grizzly 4x4 ATV, to knock down the high spots and scuff the surface, when he planted a lawn. its about 4' x 5', just metal angle iron, with small spikes out of angle, about every 12" square. I will try that and see how it does, than I know ill spend about a week hand picking the golf balls to softballs out of this fertile N. Idaho soil. I think the pine needles and sticks that are left will help aerate and fluff the ground, and add a little mulch. They then dragged a large piece if chain link behind the quad, to break up any dirt clods and smooth out the surface. I might try the fence also, but add some weight to it, and frame it in with a 4'x6' wooden frame. All this is between trying to finish off the Early Bronco build, and waiting for the primer to dry inside the shop, where I built a small enclosed 24'x12' tool/reloading room across the back of the shop. Got a lot to do before I do a little contract work, starting in april.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Snow plow off for the season, and trees all limbed up as high as needed. I hauled off 24 loads to burn. here's the ground I am dealing with. DSC04227.jpg

DSC04228.jpg

DSC04230.jpg

I'm actually surprised, there's some grasses growing under the pine needles now, but not very lush. There's MORE rocks than I originally thought too

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just run the mower through the pine grove every other year or so,, almost all the way up and it blows the needled out and makes wind rows from that to pitch in to the wagon is nothing.. Then I have to get rid of the bloody things,, so they go to the blueberry patch for mulch

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I just run the mower through the pine grove every other year or so,, almost all the way up and it blows the needled out and makes wind rows from that to pitch in to the wagon is nothing.. Then I have to get rid of the bloody things,, so they go to the blueberry patch for mulch
I wish it was that easy, the ground is a lot more uneven than it looks, but I broke a mandrel and destroyed both blades on my ride on mower trying just that last year. there's a field of golf balls to softballs out there. It's gonna take some machine raking and hand picking to make it safe for the mower

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I would say if you buy any tool up here a landscape rake is the #1 tool!
Get one at North 40 for about $500.
Oh, man! I never thought of that -- and I bought a landscaper's rake last spring from TreeStuff, which was one of the best hand tools I've got. That would be great for my mess! ... But I think I'd only need it a year or so... <sigh>

Anyway, Wolfie, you scored another hit; thanks a bunch!

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
On my gravel drive;
I tried the chain link trick a couple years ago with no success. I dont think it was long enough and not enough weight.

So I bought this. My boss had one and raved about it for his beach.
image.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365071_200365071

It weighs 80# and kind of cumbersome but I think thats what makes it work. I pick it up with hooks on my bucket to move it around.

Has 3 modes:
Tines down facing forward = very aggressive
Tines down facing rear = less aggressive
Tines up = smooth

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
that is a neat piece of equipment, but its about $150. to ship on top of the $180. that's a one piece solution to what my neighbor has with the ridged harrow and chain link drags. I guess Ill start with whats next door, and see if is productive.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Yes the shipping was my problem too. It took a year but I bought 1 while on vacation at a local store and dragged it home. Pretty long box for a small suv. The wife wasnt to happy. It sure works good on gravel.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I got lucky with my pine needles :D neighbor likes to use them for mulch around there azaleas :D They come over every fall and rake them up for me and haul them off :cool:

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I got lucky with my pine needles :D neighbor likes to use them for mulch around there azaleas :D They come over every fall and rake them up for me and haul them off :cool:
Send them up here, they can have a few truck loads and grow all the Azaelas they can handle!