need something tougher than UHMW

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Stoody Stoodite 31, best hard facing rod I have ever seen, lays on nice and flat, holds up to limerock, and granite extremely well. I hardfaced the bottom of the wear edge on my bucket and sides/bottom on hoe bucket.... 3 years and no appreciable wear.
Air Products carries that as well as Abrasoweld. Maybe I'll get a tin, almost out of Abrasoweld.

You have to cook it before use?

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Air Products carries that as well as Abrasoweld. Maybe I'll get a tin, almost out of Abrasoweld.

I think we are getting off topic of what the OP is asking for. They are looking for something that won't mark and scar their driveway so it needs to be softer than the driveway...

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Have you considered using aluminum flat bar?? The hardness should be somewhere between the UHMW and steel. It is readily available at big box or ag supply stores and not terribly expensive.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I think replacing shoes with wheels is the answer though wider( x2 x3) shoes might work. Tougher materials will scar the pavement, softer(aluminum) will leave material IN the pores. UHMW seems to be the toughest 'plastic'.
When designing my SSQA snowblower system I saw that most ATV style blowers use wheels or casters. A pair of quality, 2" wide,8-10" diameter wheels,set at the correct height should work fine.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
No, ambient application.

another option is replace your UHMWP and apply a liberal coating of SteelFlex or Frog Spit. I had an aluminum airboat for about 10 years that had a UHMW bottom with SteelFlex coating, I never used a boat ramp for the 10 years I owned it with no appreciable wear to the bottom and dont ever remember it leaving tracks on asphalt or concrete textured ramps.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No, ambient application.

another option is replace your UHMWP and apply a liberal coating of SteelFlex or Frog Spit. I had an aluminum airboat for about 10 years that had a UHMW bottom with SteelFlex coating, I never used a boat ramp for the 10 years I owned it with no appreciable wear to the bottom and dont ever remember it leaving tracks on asphalt or concrete textured ramps.
Not on thread again but I called Air Products here and ordered up a spool of 0.041 gas shielded wire. Figured I'd try that and if the results weren't what I'm looking for, go to stick.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I think replacing shoes with wheels is the answer though wider( x2 x3) shoes might work. Tougher materials will scar the pavement, softer(aluminum) will leave material IN the pores. UHMW seems to be the toughest 'plastic'.
When designing my SSQA snowblower system I saw that most ATV style blowers use wheels or casters. A pair of quality, 2" wide,8-10" diameter wheels,set at the correct height should work fine.
About every commercial (municipal) outfit here has wheels instead of skid shoes.

Reactions: 1 user

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 BX1880 w FEL, 54"MMM, 2019 BX2816 50 " snowblower
Dec 12, 2017
NY
About every commercial (municipal) outfit here has wheels instead of skid shoes.
pardon this question if it comes across as stupid, but if I put wheels on my pusher, like 2" ones like suggested, then my pusher is 2" in the air...leaving me a 2" layesr of snow on the driveway. do i then redesign the moldboard in the rear?

thanks for all the info guys

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
pardon this question if it comes across as stupid, but if I put wheels on my pusher, like 2" ones like suggested, then my pusher is 2" in the air...leaving me a 2" layesr of snow on the driveway. do i then redesign the moldboard in the rear?

thanks for all the info guys
No, make the wheel mounts adjustable for height. On commercial plows with wheels, the wheels mount to the same post arrangement the skid shoes mount to so they are adjustable.

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
I have exposed rocks in my concrete, it chafes the metal skids which leaves shavings, these shavings and the skidmarks leave long rust stains. so info on metal skids not needed here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk