Need some chainsaw guidance please

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I agree with the chain tension. Remember, when you tension the chain, make sure you have pressure on the bar forcing it up before you tighten the bolts. If you adjust the chain tension without having upward pressure on the bar, the downward pressure on the saw will cause the bar to slip and over tighten the chain when you start to cut. I usually use a 2 x 2 that I put under the tip of the bar. Then I apply downward pressure on the saw and tighten the bolts to insure the bar is going to stay in the same position it was in when I adjusted the chain.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is timely and I (hopefully) contributed last week.
I cut a few little (4-6”) stumps off the other day.
Hit a stone as I ALWAYS DO cutting stumps and bar starts smoking after the initial white/gray as the stone dust flies out from the top of the bar away from me. [emoji31]Wouldn’t cut worth beans, but I was determined to get it done...... [emoji2959]
I did some major chain sharpening/reclamation, but to no avail as it runs pretty bad still and some smoke.

I have never been able to reclaim a square tooth chipper-type chain after damage, at least to my liking. I like to have a “go-to” chain on the saws at all times. You never know when you’re gonna need them quick....
I file everything by hand and have for 40+ years. I don’t cut 150 cords a year anymore, so a chain here and there won’t break the bank..... I guess I buy one every 3 years between the two chainsaws now. Heck, I only bought a chain or two a year when I cut a lot....

I know my oiler is working fine and the saw is clean/clear.....

Just hoping it shows how a bad chain is all it can take to make things go wonky.

Should have put a beat up chain on....I know better, and that one was damn near new....[emoji2959]

At least it was the little saw, less painful in the wallet, and I will tinker with the old chain again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Thanks all, for the quick replies and good information. Sorry about my delayed response, been a bit busy.
I think the references about the oil-holes getting clogged up, is the problem. As mentioned in my first post, each saw cuts good at first, and then starts to give-out and overheat.
What procedure do y'all pursue, when out working in the woods / scrub, and the area under the plastic cover of the sprocket gets all gunked up...?
It's such a pain in the but to take that cover off, and scrap all the gunk out with a flat head screwdriver, when you're standing out in the sun on a 90 degree+ day...
I use compressed air, from my air compressor and a blow gun with 2’ copper tubing I attached. Cleans it out well. You could even use an air tank in the field.
BTW on bar oil, the absolute best is Stihl and close second is TSC. Others I’ve tried are junk.
best bar to date is Oregon Armor Tip with the biggest tooth chain (loggers chain) on my Husky 51. No more sprockets for me.

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
Thanks again all, for the input.
I finally made it back to the property today, and did a thorough cleaning on the two saws.
It seems that I was just allowing too much junk to build up under the cover and around the sprocket.
Cleaned them out really well, and made an effort to stay away from getting too low on these small trees that I need to take down. The little one was smoking still a bit, but nothing like before.
I may be just trying to cut items with the small saw, that it's just not happy with...
So far, so good!

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
Hi all.
An update to share on this, as something occurred since my last post, and potentially worth sharing for anyone being foolish like me. =)
So, a few weeks ago when up at my property, I screwed up and left my chain on the 14" saw too loose (testing a bit with notes from others), and it jumped off, got damaged. So, I replaced it with a new Oregon chain.
Wow!!!! This thing is cutting amazing now!...
So, I had to have been improperly sharpening it, or the chain was just simply a dud...
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions earlier.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I seriously doubt that you got a "dud" chain, so I would be reviewing my sharpening technique. YouTube could be your friend.