Need quick advice on older Land Pride grapple vs. EA Wicked

wallyblackburn

Equipment
L3800, Backhoe, FEL
May 20, 2014
Pataskala, OH
Have a L3800 and wanted a grapple for a while. Ordered EA 55" Wicked and they called and said it was 14 weeks out. Just as a sanity check, I called local dealer. They have an older model 60" Land Pride SGC1060-71 that was sold but never installed/used. I can pick it up today for $1900. Being an older one, it weighs 450 pounds though.

People rave about the EA grapples, but of course I want one now. Any advice welcome.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Have a L3800 and wanted a grapple for a while. Ordered EA 55" Wicked and they called and said it was 14 weeks out. Just as a sanity check, I called local dealer. They have an older model 60" Land Pride SGC1060-71 that was sold but never installed/used. I can pick it up today for $1900. Being an older one, it weighs 450 pounds though.

People rave about the EA grapples, but of course I want one now. Any advice welcome.
Yes, people like their EA grapple, count me in as one of those people. Yet, your statement says you want one now, which won't happen.

So, if you want it now, it only leaves you with one option and that is to buy what the dealer has in stock.

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Buy the land pride and order the EA. When the EA arrives sell the land pride for close to what you paid for it.

Reactions: 2 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
How much weight are you giving up? Land Pride = 450 pounds EA = ? pounds. What is the difference in price?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
How much weight are you giving up? Land Pride = 450 pounds EA = ? pounds. What is the difference in price?
EA 55" is 240lbs and $2,200 according to the website.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
That is a huge weight difference. Your loader maxed is 1100 lbs full height. 230 lbs is about 20% of your capacity.
That said I would strongly advise against getting a grapple that is wider than your machine.. Although I dislike EA's "pay in full up front" business model I do think you should either wait it out or find an alternative 50 ish inch wide grapple.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Homestead offers a 60 inch grapple at 295 lbs. for $2,200. They are 10 weeks to deliver - a month sooner. They offer a military discount and 0% financing for everyone (with good credit). Look at all of their photos - including the hydraulic hose routing/chases. All made in the USA.

Just another option.

Reactions: 1 user

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
When I got my tractor I mentioned a grapple to the technician putting things together. He asked if I knew how to weld. He said the land pride grapple doesn’t have complete welds on everything and he would show me where more weld needed to be run, because if the failures he’s seen.
I told him I was getting EA. Lol

also, when I was looking at LP, all their metal was smooth. EA has teeth for better gripping. When I’m working with my kids, or anyone, I want the grapple to grab things with as much bite as possible. Smooth surfaces are not the answer to gripping.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have already used my LP Grapple to fill a 20 yard dumpster with large/long/heavy mostly oak limbs, many of which barely fit into the 22 foot long dumpster. I have also moved/dumped lots of small old burn piles (smaller sticks and misc. grass and bushes) that were never burned. My LP Grapple did a great job with those items plus all of the rocks I have moved. It has smooth teeth, but I never had any problems grabbing any of the above (the claw shape plus pressure held everything). The claw shape and smooth teeth make for clean dumps - nothing to catch vines and etc.

I cannot imagine running out of grapple strength before exhausting a compact tractor's capacity. Of course many people, do mis-use their grapples, and then they are surprised when they later have hydraulic/loader problems. Land Pride makes heavy duty grapples for heavy duty equipment, but compact tractors are not heavy duty equipment.

YMMV

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I have already used my LP Grapple to fill a 20 yard dumpster with large/long/heavy mostly oak limbs, many of which barely fit into the 22 foot long dumpster. I have also moved/dumped lots of small old burn piles (smaller sticks and misc. grass and bushes) that were never burned. My LP Grapple did a great job with those items plus all of the rocks I have moved. It has smooth teeth, but I never had any problems grabbing any of the above (the claw shape plus pressure held everything). The claw shape and smooth teeth make for clean dumps - nothing to catch vines and etc.

I cannot imagine running out of grapple strength before exhausting a compact tractor's capacity. Of course many people, do mis-use their grapples, and then they are surprised when they later have hydraulic/loader problems. Land Pride makes heavy duty grapples for heavy duty equipment, but compact tractors are not heavy duty equipment.

YMMV
I think you’re correct. Compact tractors probably can’t even come close to the strength needed to mess up a decent grapple. And having the teeth is a little over kill.
I just got my EA grapple. I’m waiting to put it through it’s paces. I have lots of barberry to rip out as well as other invasives, rocks, firewood, logs, etc.

For me, part of the decision was availability.

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I think you’re correct. Compact tractors probably can’t even come close to the strength needed to mess up a decent grapple. And having the teeth is a little over kill.
I just got my EA grapple. I’m waiting to put it through it’s paces. I have lots of barberry to rip out as well as other invasives, rocks, firewood, logs, etc.

For me, part of the decision was availability.
Hey - good luck with it; I am sure it will serve you well. Grapples, all grapples, are useful/productive and fun. When I was picking up, transporting and dumping those 20 foot long oak limbs, I kept thinking how long it would have taken to cut them up, chip what could be chipped (with a rental chipper) and etc. The grapple plus a $250 dumpster rental with 6K pounds of weight included turned a week long project into one long day.

JDP

Equipment
L4701
Dec 15, 2020
Nebraska
Check out MTL attachments. I bought one and love it. It's light strong and and I got it shipped to my door really quick.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Hey - good luck with it; I am sure it will serve you well. Grapples, all grapples, are useful/productive and fun. When I was picking up, transporting and dumping those 20 foot long oak limbs, I kept thinking how long it would have taken to cut them up, chip what could be chipped (with a rental chipper) and etc. The grapple plus a $250 dumpster rental with 6K pounds of weight included turned a week long project into one long day.
You are correct, grapples are a game changer. Once I got mine, we were able to make HUGE progress in cleaning and land clearing at the farm. Instead of getting off the tractor and chaining then back on the tractor pull the brush out, then re-chaining, taking to brush pile, off again to unchain.

Grapple, go in and grab, drive to pile and drop, and back again. If I known how useful a grapple was going to be for us, I would of bought one when I purchased the tractor.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
My LP grapple is very strong, and light. Got it about a year after the tractor purchase. Game changer

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Just adding anther option: Precision Manufacturing Mini 322 also has a 55" grapple that is nearly identical to wicked 55; serrated teeth, same weight, AR400 steel vs AR450, but it has twin lids, priced close. I think they are 8-10 weeks out. I was tempted to change my order but am sticking with EA. I will sell my Artillian grapple once EA shows up.

wallyblackburn

Equipment
L3800, Backhoe, FEL
May 20, 2014
Pataskala, OH
Thanks all for the replies. I am getting crazy and buying both! I'll sell the LP when I get the EA. Biggest reason is the increased weight of the older model LP unit.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Thanks all for the replies. I am getting crazy and buying both! I'll sell the LP when I get the EA. Biggest reason is the increased weight of the older model LP unit.
Another option when the EA grapple arrives, you buy a second tractor to use the new grapple on. Of course you wouldn't want the new grapple going on a used tractor, it will need to be a new tractor. :p:)

(Now you see why my wife makes the financial decisions in our house.)