Need help moving seat on LA765 tractor.

Jnines

Equipment
LA765 tractor
Dec 31, 2023
Byhalia MS
I'm just a little 'ole white haired lady, trying to take over getting hay to my horses, while hubby recuperates from illness. I'm short & have a bad hip so with seat too far back, it's really uncomfortable. Can't figure out how to move seat closer. It's been in the rain sometimes so afraid it may be stuck. I thought of using WD40 but not sure where to put it.

Reactions: 1 user

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I think LA765 is the loader model, does the tractor have numbers on the hood? Either way spray the horizontal rails on the bottom of the seat.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
And while WD-40 may work eventually there are better alternatives for getting rusted parts to work. Try to find a can of PB Blaster or something similar at a hardware store and try it instead of the WD-40 if you still have a stuck seat.

And there should be some sort of handle or lever to move into a released position like existed in cars before most went to electric seats.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It might be stuck and if it is, it could be pretty easy to free up or could be impossible to free up or anywhere in between. Penetrating oil such as PB Blaster and patience is probably your best chance of getting it moving unless you can subcontract the job to a neighbor/friend/relative.

At the risk of coming across as condescending, which is not my intent at all, might be good to first make sure you’re using the correct procedure to adjust the seat, particularly since you said you have a LA765 tractor (a sign your tractor fu may be a bit weak) and stated it “may be stuck” (a sign you aren’t sure it’s stuck).

Unlike some others here, I can’t list off all the tractors that use the LA765 loader. I know the L4701 does because I have one. So, first step: Check what model tractor you have. In the below pic, the loader is a LA765. The tractor is a L4701. So check the hood for the model number. If there’s nothing there, check the badge on the right frame rail just behind the front tire.
IMG_1591.jpeg

If you have a L4701, the below may be helpful. If you have something else, maybe not. If you have something else, check the manual to be sure you’re following correct procedure.

Below is an excerpt from the Owner Manual for the L4701 explaining how to slide the seat forward/backward.
IMG_1592.jpeg

This is a picture of the actual release lever.

IMG_1589.jpeg

Sitting in the seat, reach down just behind and below your right knee to find the lever and rotate it up. Then scoot your butt to slide the seat forward or back.

In case that doesn’t all make complete sense, this is how you move the lever to release the seat slide. I couldn’t move the seat and photo it while in the seat because I’m not a contortionist, but here it is anyway.
IMG_1590.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Jnines

Equipment
LA765 tractor
Dec 31, 2023
Byhalia MS
Also, most seats will flip up (the front stays put and the back of the seat moves forward over the steering wheel) you can see the rails that you need to spray better this way.

If you have any more questions, just post them here!!
Thanks! good to know.

Jnines

Equipment
LA765 tractor
Dec 31, 2023
Byhalia MS
And while WD-40 may work eventually there are better alternatives for getting rusted parts to work. Try to find a can of PB Blaster or something similar at a hardware store and try it instead of the WD-40 if you still have a stuck seat.

And there should be some sort of handle or lever to move into a released position like existed in cars before most went to electric seats.
Thanks. Will try that.

Jnines

Equipment
LA765 tractor
Dec 31, 2023
Byhalia MS
It might be stuck and if it is, it could be pretty easy to free up or could be impossible to free up or anywhere in between. Penetrating oil such as PB Blaster and patience is probably your best chance of getting it moving unless you can subcontract the job to a neighbor/friend/relative.

At the risk of coming across as condescending, which is not my intent at all, might be good to first make sure you’re using the correct procedure to adjust the seat, particularly since you said you have a LA765 tractor (a sign your tractor fu may be a bit weak) and stated it “may be stuck” (a sign you aren’t sure it’s stuck).

Unlike some others here, I can’t list off all the tractors that use the LA765 loader. I know the L4701 does because I have one. So, first step: Check what model tractor you have. In the below pic, the loader is a LA765. The tractor is a L4701. So check the hood for the model number. If there’s nothing there, check the badge on the right frame rail just behind the front tire. View attachment 119184
If you have a L4701, the below may be helpful. If you have something else, maybe not. If you have something else, check the manual to be sure you’re following correct procedure.

Below is an excerpt from the Owner Manual for the L4701 explaining how to slide the seat forward/backward.
View attachment 119185
This is a picture of the actual release lever.

View attachment 119186
Sitting in the seat, reach down just behind and below your right knee to find the lever and rotate it up. Then scoot your butt to slide the seat forward or back.

In case that doesn’t all make complete sense, this is how you move the lever to release the seat slide. I couldn’t move the seat and photo it while in the seat because I’m not a contortionist, but here it is anyway.
View attachment 119187
Thanks for all that info and esp. the photos. No offense taken. I know my tractor knowledge is limited. I'm just looking for help & was happy to find this forum. I am using the right lever but it's not moving. I did spray today with WD40 but nothing happened. It's pretty cold, low 40's so that may be part of the problem. Will try the blaster stuff someone recommended. I do have a friend who is great at tractor repair; has fixed ours before. The problem is he works 12-14 hours a day some days on heavy equipment so has limited time to help, but may have to ask him. You were right. My tractor is L4701 so glad to know you have the same one as me. My bad. I'll keep trying things and maybe can get it to move. Thanks again for the info!

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
Unrelated but I spent a month living in Holly Springs almost two decades ago. Im from MA but I really enjoyed it there. Kinda wish I stayed. lol

Jnines

Equipment
LA765 tractor
Dec 31, 2023
Byhalia MS
Unrelated but I spent a month living in Holly Springs almost two decades ago. Im from MA but I really enjoyed it there. Kinda wish I stayed. lol
Interesting! It's definitely quite different from MA. Pretty laid back but like everywhere, we have our problems too! Nice looking dog you have. I have a 10 mo. long haired Weimaraner who's a trip. She's a beauty but has destroyed lots of things like Iphones, mouse, tv remotes and occasionally my lunch! But she sure loves to snuggle.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
Interesting! It's definitely quite different from MA. Pretty laid back but like everywhere, we have our problems too! Nice looking dog you have. I have a 10 mo. long haired Weimaraner who's a trip. She's a beauty but has destroyed lots of things like Iphones, mouse, tv remotes and occasionally my lunch! But she sure loves to snuggle.

Thank you! Unfortunately he passed away four years ago now but miss him every day. He was a 130lb mastiff lab mix and folks always commented on him. Great pup for sure. :giggle:

Jnines

Equipment
LA765 tractor
Dec 31, 2023
Byhalia MS
Sorry to hear that. They are such great companions. Have you thought of getting another?

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
Sorry to hear that. They are such great companions. Have you thought of getting another?

I'd like to, but doubt I would. I struggled for some time with his loss as I was so attached. I'm not sure I could do it again. But never say never as they say.