Need B6100 transmission expert

AaronH

Equipment
B6100
Dec 12, 2012
Alto
All,

I recently bought a B6100 that needs a little love. The front bearing, seal and snap ring are out of place for the transmission shaft that connects to the front axle drive shaft. I have managed to drive the bearing back into the housing (rearward) except that it's about a snap ring width from being home. In other words, I can just see the beginning of the snap ring groove. The shaft won't move any further rearward. It's hard against something. I am hoping someone here has had these transmissions apart and can tell me what could keep that shaft about a snap ring width too far forward. I don't really want to split it, but something tells me that a shim is out of place or something and splitting it is the only way to get it right.

I've attached two pictures. One is taken from the top with the shifting cover removed. If you look along the left side of the 15-22 spur gear on the reverse shaft you'll notice about 1/8" gap between the gear and the shoulder of the shaft. The gear itself seems to be centered well with the spur gear on the second shaft, so I feel that the gear is in the right spot. That means the shaft needs to move further rearward. The second picture is from underneath and shows the bearing in the housing. If you look very closely you will see a thin black line right at the edge of the bearing outer race. I believe this is the beginning of the snap ring groove.

I appreciate any experience you guys can offer regarding the assembly of these transmissions.

Thanks,
Aaron

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Hang in there I know help should be on the way shortly. I know fellow member Rob has torn into several B series Kubota's and is pretty knowledgeable with them.

AaronH

Equipment
B6100
Dec 12, 2012
Alto
I printed the part book page and compared it to what I can see in the transmission. Most everything looks like it should as far as I can tell. My guess is that the problem lies at the end of the shaft towards the rear of the tractor. The very end of the shaft is supposed to be inserted into a needle bearing that rides in a bearing bore of the casting. Next is a spacer/washer that's supposed to be between the needle bearing and the 25 tooth spur gear that rides on a splined portion of the shaft. My guess is that the washer is supposed to be around the splines, but is currently is around the needle bearing diameter. I am thinking the splines are pinching the washer against the side of the needle bearing preventing the shaft from sliding the last little bit of the way home. It's the only thing I can see that would keep the shaft about 1/8" forward. Can anyone confirm or deny that the washer could indeed get hung up on the splines?

If this is indeed the case I have no idea how I am going to jockey that washer until the splines slide through it...

Thanks,
Aaron