Need advice on tractor size 130 acres

Bayoudude

May 24, 2017
Houma LA
I am purchasing 130 acres of timberland that has been recently thinned. There is a gravel/dirt road close to 1 mile long winding through the property that I will need to maintain along with a few acres of logging slash that I need to clean up to make room for a camp site / home and a couple of food plots for deer hunting. Right now there is maybe two or three acres total to bush hog. I am leaning towards the L3901 and L4701. Will be purchasing a grapple, rotary cutter and pallet forks. I already have access to a box. Made and both tractors would have front end loaders and 4x4. Main concern with the 3901 is loaded lift capacity. Any input would be appreciated

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Hello, I'm on the opposite end of the state from you, and I use my L3940 for much of what you describe. So far, I have not had any issues. I think either of the tractors you mentioned would be sufficient, but when in doubt go larger so I would suggest the L4701. You may even want to look at the MX series such as the MX5200.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Personally the L4701 would be the bare minimum for me, my preference would be an MX on up.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Hi Bayou, I am right across the ditch from you in LaPlace. I bought 68 acres last year that was also recently thinned and looked at both the L3901 and L4701. I ended up getting the L4701, as others always say you can almost never have too much tractor. The L3901 would probably do everything I need but I liked the bigger frame and more power at the pto and loader that the L4701 offered. So far it has been a great tractor other than I think it regens too often but they have been flawless so I can't really complain. If I had to do it over again I would get the same tractor, no regrets here so far.

Where is your property located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
I would go with the L4701 as a minimum also. Or the next M size up. Once you get the tractor out there on the property, you'll see they still look small. I have a 4701 and I have been very pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I second the L4701 minimum.

if on a budget but want max productivity get an MX4800-MX5800 (not much price difference. the MX will have the best lifting power and overall power if the 5800 is bought.

L4760 would be a great medium of lifter, luxury, good power, good hydro flow, heavy too. again, if it's in the cards, an L6060 is awesome. best of all the CUTs

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
MX Class. The marginal cost increase over an L gains you a real loader and stout 3pt capabilities.

Orangeinalaska

Nov 16, 2016
Gakona, Alaska
Have had a M7060 for about 6 months now and am really happy with it. I have 54 acers with a runway and some pasture area I am reclaiming from the trees. Something to think about is the weight of a set of grapples and how much of your useful load they will take up when using them. I quite often wish I could lift more when moving brush or trees even with forks which weight far less than a grapple. My 2 cents is to go with as big as you can afford.

Attachments

olMarine

May 22, 2017
Ravenna, Oh
Get bigger than you need now, you'll regret later if you done. Like storage space, never have enough

Bayoudude

May 24, 2017
Houma LA
Thanks for the responses. It's around $4400 difference between the 3901 and 4701 that is with the attachments. Property is in southern ms. I am eyeing the woodland mills stump grinder as well to clear out those 8-12" diameter pine stumps I will have everywhere

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
My property is in south Miss also, just south of Roxie.....might be meighbors [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

S Chamblee

Equipment
6 foot tiller, land plane, 6 foot bush hog, 2 row hipper
May 10, 2017
Mississippi
I am in North Mississippi. I also have 150 acres (half pasture half trees).. I went back and forth on which tractor I wanted vs what I really needed.. I wanted the 7060 with a cab but for the money and true need I went with the L4701.. I use mine to pull a 6 ft rotary cutter (bush hog whats not cut for hay), 6 ft tiller (for gardens and food plots), 6 ft land plane (maintain my driveway and level up my yard), rake root bucket with grapple (keeping stuff picked up and cleaned up), 17 ft boom sprayer (spray for insects/ants, food plots and garden)..With that said this tractor does everything I need it to do and I have been more than please with the L4701…For the money and my needs it was a great choice that I have not once regretted… I might also mention another factor to consider is the ease of transportation.. I got a car hauler trailer with my tractor and its just as easy to move my tractor as my lawn mower which is very handy...

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
I've never priced out new, so I don't know the differences. What about a L47 TLB? Instead of grinding the stumps, you could dig them out, along with ditching, or a digging a small pond,........
The hoe is mounted on a stronger sub frame but still comes off in minutes for the use of 3 point hitch toys... um, tools!

ngaoffroad

Equipment
L4060HSTC, L3560HSTC, LP RCR2596, BH SQ84T, BH6, BH600SQ, Grapple, Tiller, Blade
May 31, 2017
Blairsville, GA
Hello. New "member" but I have been a reader/lurker for years.

On our farm in north GA, plus on recreational land, we've used the following: JD 5325 Cab (67hp), JD 3320 (32 hp), Kubota L3130, plus a Kubota L5030 and a JD 5300. Two of the JDs had loaders. I would agree with others who stated that bigger is better on your size property. The longer wheelbase of a full-size AG or utility tractor is much more comfortable, not as 'bumpy' when rolling over uneven ground or holes. Also, the bigger tractors will really dig-in and the added weight helps to pull plows. The JD 3320, while a very nice compact tractor, is outshined by the L3130 because of more weight and longer wheelbase. I bush hog for up to 10 hours a day when I'm on it, and the L3130 is comfortable. The little things like adjustable steering and adjustable seats make a lot of difference. The little L3130 has always done what it needed to do...and much more comfortable than the 3320. That said, the 67 HP tractor had even more weight and more wheelbase, and of course that cab was nice! It was sold, and if/when I can sell the 3320 and L3130, I will have a decision as to either the L4060 or M6060. From experience, the M6060 would prob be a better choice, and does not cost that much more. Also, keep in mind the 'ride height' of the tractor, because with lots of roads you will have limbs hitting you or the tractor the bigger you go...

Either way, there is nothing quite like riding that tractor to melt away the stress! Good luck and enjoy!

Even a "small" difference in tractor frame size can make a big difference in comfort and ability.

(By the way-I am selling the JD3320...and keeping the L3130. It is that much more tractor...)

Last edited:

Bayoudude

May 24, 2017
Houma LA
Looks like I will be getting a L4701 soon! Have a few things to work out with the dealer. Going to get a 6' rotary cutter, pallet forks, quick hitch and a grapple