Need advice: Adding backhoe to L3400

brosenbaum

Equipment
L3400 HST, FEL, box blade, rear blade, bush hog, tiller, post hole digger
Oct 10, 2012
San Leon, tx
Have L3400 with 2540 FEL; that mounting frame does not appear readily adaptable to adding/scabbing on a backhoe mounting frame.

Questions:

1, Does anyone know of a bolt-on, quick-hitch backhoe mounting frame conpatable with the 2540 frame?

2, Is a 3 point hitch mounted, smaller backhoe a viable option? The backhoe usage is occasion ditching in clay, as opposed to rocky subsurface.

3, Does anyone have such parts for sale?

Thanks for the help!

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I have the same tractor and initially thought about adding a backhoe. A couple of things changed my mind...first, once a hoe is attached the tractor is essentially worthless (ie: no TPH) for anything else except loader work. I am not sure of the difficulty in removing backhoes from Kubotas but I operated Ford 555 tractor backhoes for more then a decade and they were a real bear to seperate. Secondly, a commercial tractor backhoe is mounted with some serious framing and attachment points. Granted they take abuse day in and day out but I personally would be nervous about the tractor frame handling these additional loads. When I say frame there really isn't much on a Kubota rather attachments attaching to cast iron housings.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts and worth less then $ 0.02 regarding backhoes on tractors. Are there time I would like to have one...absolutely. For me and what they cost I decided to spend money elsewhere. Good Luck!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'd go down to my friendly Kubota dealer and take a good look at what they do. It seems to me the backhoe attachment separates quite easily, leaving the frame behind. You can use the 3ph fine with the backhoe frame still there.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
My backhoe is mounted on a subframe. The subframe/BH assembly then pins onto the tractor with 4 pins, and then I pin on a rigid top link. Old school Woods subframe mounting approach. So 2 additional pins compared to a normal 3 point impliment. Takes a little bit longer to hook/unhook, maybe 5-10 minutes most times. My 3 point lift arms stay on and are ready to go once the BH is removed. I bought mine old and well used. It has more than paid for itself and I love having it sitting there ready, sure beats the pants off a pick and shovel.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
A 3ph backhoe is not for serious digging, with that said, I bought one today. The versitility and ease of hooking up makes them worth it but , took me 6 mths to find one close enough to justify the driveing to ck it out. For the 1 time I will need a strong backhoe, maybe in a 2 or 3 year time, I'll rent one.