Need a backhoe - add one to my b2910 or get a dedicated TLB (B21)

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Hey all,
I have some backhoe work I need to do on my property. Ranges from excavating overgrown bushes around house, to placing underground drainage from gutters, drainage around my shop and my garage, cleaning up ditches, ditching to run power out to my chicken coop, landscaping, stump removal and about a zillion other projects. Mainly need to address drainage around my house which is built on a hill and needs better drainage.

I have an awesome b2910 and I have been researching how to get a backhoe on this machine. I have only been able to find a couple of 4690 BH and I don't want to use a 3point setup. Even the 4690 runs from 2750 for a beat to dust unit to 6-7k for a better condition one. I looked into Woods 70-x, 80-x, or BH7500 with a 4 point subframe. I can source a beautiful 70x with a hyd. thumb for about 4k but it needs shipped. New woods in 75 or 85 range are like 8k plus the subframe. The 70x said it was from a B2910 with subframe included but the subframe is from a L2900. I called a few dealers for the woods subframe and it has gone from $1400 to $2400 with a 3 month lead time.

I also need to mount the remote or at least the loop hose kit to my 2910. So, even used stuff, with all the shipping hassle and everything else is looking to be 7K+ with a new unit probably running 10k+ all in with subframe and hose kits.

There's a local B21 that's going to auction on Oct. 28 and I am very interested. I am now basically looking for a B21 (or a b26 lol). Based on auction results I should be able to get a B21 in a range or 8k to 14k. The one I am looking at has 1304 hours and looks to be in good shape, also has all the 3 point arms included.

Am I overthinking this? I figure I can get a dedicated TLB for about a few thousand more than a setup for my B2910. Almost like the rest of the tractor is free. I am really thinking this is the best route to go. I can use the machine for a couple years and then sell it or keep it or whatever. I have heard nothing but good about the kubota TLB's so I don't think I would have any problem selling if/when I am done with it.

Those with experience with backhoes on a CUT v dedicated TLB and whether I am missing any big ah-ha things with my strategy here. Also if you can point me to some threads on what to look for in a used TLB. I have never used a backhoe. If there are threads please post links as you cannot search for the term B21 on any of these forums unless you google advanced.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hey all,
I have some backhoe work I need to do on my property. Ranges from excavating overgrown bushes around house, to placing underground drainage from gutters, drainage around my shop and my garage, cleaning up ditches, ditching to run power out to my chicken coop, landscaping, stump removal and about a zillion other projects. Mainly need to address drainage around my house which is built on a hill and needs better drainage.

I have an awesome b2910 and I have been researching how to get a backhoe on this machine. I have only been able to find a couple of 4690 BH and I don't want to use a 3point setup. Even the 4690 runs from 2750 for a beat to dust unit to 6-7k for a better condition one. I looked into Woods 70-x, 80-x, or BH7500 with a 4 point subframe. I can source a beautiful 70x with a hyd. thumb for about 4k but it needs shipped. New woods in 75 or 85 range are like 8k plus the subframe. The 70x said it was from a B2910 with subframe included but the subframe is from a L2900. I called a few dealers for the woods subframe and it has gone from $1400 to $2400 with a 3 month lead time.

I also need to mount the remote or at least the loop hose kit to my 2910. So, even used stuff, with all the shipping hassle and everything else is looking to be 7K+ with a new unit probably running 10k+ all in with subframe and hose kits.

There's a local B21 that's going to auction on Oct. 28 and I am very interested. I am now basically looking for a B21 (or a b26 lol). Based on auction results I should be able to get a B21 in a range or 8k to 14k. The one I am looking at has 1304 hours and looks to be in good shape, also has all the 3 point arms included.

Am I overthinking this? I figure I can get a dedicated TLB for about a few thousand more than a setup for my B2910. Almost like the rest of the tractor is free. I am really thinking this is the best route to go. I can use the machine for a couple years and then sell it or keep it or whatever. I have heard nothing but good about the kubota TLB's so I don't think I would have any problem selling if/when I am done with it.

Those with experience with backhoes on a CUT v dedicated TLB and whether I am missing any big ah-ha things with my strategy here. Also if you can point me to some threads on what to look for in a used TLB. I have never used a backhoe. If there are threads please post links as you cannot search for the term B21 on any of these forums unless you google advanced.

Thanks!
Kubota advertises their only "dedicated" backhoes as being the....
B26 TLB
L47 TLB
M62 TLB

All others are apparently BH ......ATTACHMENTS!

I have a 2006 Kubota L48 TLB ( dedicated BH ),,......mine is the the older brother to the current L47 TLB, also a dedicated BH.

Pricing will likely be an issue for you.
I bought my private sale 251 hour L48 TLB (pre-Covid - June 2019) for $32K.
Mine is apparently worth $10K+ more now.

I was recently shopping for a B26 TLB for a friend.
Best price I could find on an under 1,000 hour machine for him, was in the mid 30's.

He had the bucks, so I eventually talked him into a 2021 Kubota M62 with 295 hours.
NICE machine,.......but $63,500 ( if new, a bit over $90K ).
Has 14' dig depth too!

I found it for him......then he paid for it!
My friend has never owned, or used a BH either, but is about to begin building his waterfront retirement mega mansion.

Good luck!
There are many reasons for a machine to be in an auction.
IMHO, auction machines are a pure crap shoot!

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Had many tractors. Had/have B20, B26 and M59. The TLBS are heavier, stronger and tougher than their ag cousins. Backhoes have improved a lot for ag tractors but if ever used a commercial unit it will spoil you.

There are good deals and decent machine can hold or maybe increase in value. Options like 3rd function, thumb, canopy and attachment options. Some B21 have pin on front bucket, some ssqa. B26 is a real performer. Only you can figure on the merits of having two tractors.

IMG_2759.jpeg

B26

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
I will check out this B21 whenever they are closer to auction and do my best to check everything out. I will decide what end of the range it is and set myself a limit. I think I might be able to snag a deal but will be patient and either figure out an reasonable way to get a b21 or somekind of frame backhoe for my 2910. I like to think out in the country here, everyone wants big tractors and big backhoes so they may overlook this little guy.
Any machine that I can afford to pay cash for is going to be a crapshoot and likely will need some repairs. I just think I could get a better working machine a lot easier to just buy one as opposed to trying to fit an aftermarket unit to my tractor. I don't have extensive fabrication shop or experience so building my own subframe is not gonna happen. My B2910 is a keeper so I also don't want to break it.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I agree about just buying another machine. Easier, plus you will find lots of uses for both machines at the same time on the same job.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Take a look at the subframe on the Kubota TLB's and compare it to a backhoe attachment subframe.
You get bigger/more hydraulic pumps, a much stronger/faster loader etc. with a TLB. The TLB line is made for digging unlike an ag tractor with an adapted backhoe. Don't forget the loader will still be a ag loader which is really a material handler.
If you intend on keeping the TLB after the trenching work is done, I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than a L47.
Even my L47 operates less smoothly than a full size TLB. Operating two functions at the same time tends to starve the pump. I believe the rotation has it's own pump for that reason.

If you intend on selling after the job is done, I'd look into renting a mini-X as suggested by mikester.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Other than digging out some stumps, it sounds like most of your work is trenching. A mini Ex will do that a lot faster and easier than a backhoe. The down side is that the mini-ex tracks will tear up your yard. I have seen some very old excavators with wheels, but I don't know if they still exist.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Take a look at the subframe on the Kubota TLB's and compare it to a backhoe attachment subframe.
You get bigger/more hydraulic pumps, a much stronger/faster loader etc. with a TLB. The TLB line is made for digging unlike an ag tractor with an adapted backhoe. Don't forget the loader will still be a ag loader which is really a material handler.
If you intend on keeping the TLB after the trenching work is done, I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than a L47.
Even my L47 operates less smoothly than a full size TLB. Operating two functions at the same time tends to starve the pump. I believe the rotation has it's own pump for that reason.

If you intend on selling after the job is done, I'd look into renting a mini-X as suggested by mikester.
I am quite certain that the L47 TLB has 3 hydraulic pumps.
I know that my L48 TLB does.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

A mini-ex is a one trick pony (soldier :ROFLMAO: )
A TLB is a Swiss army knife.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Where are you located? I just happen to have a BL4690 backhoe for my B2910 that I don't really use anymore, since I bought an old mini ex.

Also consider a used mini excavator. For sure better than the backhoe for digging. Backhoe on the back of the B2910 was good for me for almost 20 years though.

Edit: On reread I see you don't want a 3 point backhoe...do consider a mini ex though...but like I said, I used my 3PT backhoe for a long time with no issues...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Where are you located? I just happen to have a BL4690 backhoe for my B2910 that I don't really use anymore, since I bought an old mini ex.

Also consider a used mini excavator. For sure better than the backhoe for digging. Backhoe on the back of the B2910 was good for me for almost 20 years though.

Edit: On reread I see you don't want a 3 point backhoe...do consider a mini ex though...but like I said, I used my 3PT backhoe for a long time with no issues...
I owned an industrial (Ford) TLB for 33 years.
Then.....I re[laced it with an industrial quality Kubota L48 TLB.
Even though I do have another FEL machine, the L48 TLB is the all around most versatile machine for me.

Kenhwy61

Equipment
LX2610 TLB
Oct 2, 2023
Minnesota
This is my take on your situation. I went from a B2601 with a backhoe to a Sany SY16 mini ex and back to a LX2610 backhoe. The mini-ex is far superior for fast digging. My current backhoe 77 seems clunky and slow in comparison although it does get the job done. I used the mini-ex a lot over many months building a house that I had to finish before winter but once the project was completed I didn't use the mini ex anymore. I missed the versatility of a TLB and bought a LX2610 the dealer had ordered and was on their lot with a BH77 already installed. I considered a B26 TLB but they are about 10K more than the LX2610/Bh77 and had a long wait time plus the 0% financing term is much shorter on construction equipment. To sum it up I would say your projects seem the type where most of Kubota's backhoe offerings would suit you well. If you want or can afford only one piece of equipment a TLB is a good do all machine.

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery

Henro, please check your DM's :)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I just did, I think! What’s a DM? All I could think of was a structure holding back a flow of messages. Dam…LOL
See envelope icon in upper right hand corner for Direct Messages (DM)

I think that is what they mean

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I thought that term was "Private message" (PM}
On this forum on my browser I see it as “Conversation“ but have seen it referenced as “Private Message”. On other social networks (like Facebook?) it is “Direct Message”

They are all the same thing just different names and I imagine that other names are used for the same way to send a message that others can’t see.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I am too literal and sometimes humor goes right over my head.

Sorry for the overly detailed reply