Need 2320 DT advice - first timer

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
Hello,
I’m looking to get a new 2320 for a five acre property, roughly 2 acres maintained grass, gravel driveway, and looking to use something with a FEL and mid-mount mower for general work on the property.

As I’m a first time Kubota buyer, I noticed the 2320 on the website only comes as a gearshift. While I’m generally comfortable with this, I’m a little worried about teaching my wife to get the hang of it.

So I’m looking for advice on whether people have been successful in teaching their SO to confidently operate a gear drive tractor. Will mowing be a pain with the gear drive? Will using the FEL to grade be more difficult on a FEL?

I’ve operated hydrostatic tractors in the past and a gear backhoe so I think I’m ok, but haven’t operated something on the smaller side in quite some time. I think a BX will be too small ultimately as well.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Welcome to OTT.

I think you need to double-check.

I think the B2301/2601 are all HST, whereas the B2401 is geared.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
As you know operating a gear shift tractor is not like a gear shift car - you don't shift while moving. Teaching should not be a problem. That said, for mowing with my tractor I like that I can set the engine speed to PTO speed then control forward motion, speeding up or slowing down, with the foot pedal. You don't even need to depress the clutch to stop. It's also great for dirt work - no wear on the clutch.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sorry I botched the title - I meant 2320DT
Ruxin - - I don't think we see many new B2320's here. They also have a Narrow version.

There was a B2920, not sure if same, but the B2920 was replaced a couple years ago.

Only concern I would have is if a low-production model, how will parts availability be 5 or 10 years hence.

It's always a possibility for any tractor model, I just wanted to toss it out there. The newer B2301/2601, B2650, and most recently 2401 models seem to have taken the niche, but for the Narrow version. There are many owners of these - except the newest B2401.

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
Ruxin - - I don't think we see many new B2320's here. They also have a Narrow version.

There was a B2920, not sure if same, but the B2920 was replaced a couple years ago.

Only concern I would have is if a low-production model, how will parts availability be 5 or 10 years hence.

It's always a possibility for any tractor model, I just wanted to toss it out there. The newer B2301/2601, B2650, and most recently 2401 models seem to have taken the niche, but for the Narrow version. There are many owners of these - except the newest B2401.
I think the 2301 is actually the direction I should go after spending more time watching videos and reading. It’s just a bit more expensive unfortunately but not prohibitively so.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think the 2301 is actually the direction I should go after spending more time watching videos and reading. It’s just a bit more expensive unfortunately but not prohibitively so.
I looked at a B2601 myself Saturday....just kickin' tires. Essentially same machine and appears very capable. I have a BX now and have considered up-sizing a couple times.

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
Also if anyone sees this - it appears these things if well taken care of maintain their value? I’m finding very little price difference between a used tractor around 200 hours (even more) and a new one, which is leading me down the road of pick up a new one. Is that normal here?

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
I was initially looking at the B2320 but ruled it out in favor of the B2401 because of loader capacity and position control on the 3PH. I wanted a gear tractor so it was between 3 options (B2320, B2401, and L2501DT). The cost difference between the B2320 and B2401 was around $1500 and for me it was worth it.

Many people say they prefer the HST for loader work and I understand the logic but don't share that opinion unless its a primary use of the machine. I don't mind working a gear transmission while doing loader work, i actually find it pretty satisfying when you get into a rhythm.

Hydrostatic transmissions are not designed to operate at low RPM so you end up running them at high(er) RPM. For non PTO work seem to be running my B2401 around 1400-1600 RPMS which makes it very quiet and pleasant to operate. The B series are particularly ergonomic since the gear shift lever and loader control are very close and easy to transition from one to another, but neither of these tractors have synchronized transmissions so if you're timing isn't right you will end up fumbling around a lot.

There are applications where HST has advantages. Depending on what kind of mowing you do a HST might be a better option. For field mowing a gear transmission is great. More power to the PTO, less heat generated, no HST whining, and no pedal to constantly depress. However, these tractors don't have a live PTO so if you are doing a lot of maneuvering you stop the mower every time you depress the clutch. Also, the HST allows you to maintain RPM (and PTO speed) while varying ground speed, which is really nice for working in a confined area.

My wife has no issue driving the B. I feel safer with her on a gear tractor because she doesn't operate machines often and this forces her to stop the tractor completely before shifting and think about what she's doing.

To your question about new vs used, it was a no brainier for me. They seem to hold their value very well plus the financing from Kubota ($0 down, 0% for 84 months) made it an easy decision.

I think any of these would serve you well and surprise you with their usefulness. I would ask your dealer to try them all out. Bring your SO with you and pick the tractor you are both comfortable with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users