National tractor safety week

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

Here’s Kubota’s 10 Commandments of Tractor Safety

1. Know your tractor, its implements and how they work.
Please read and understand the Operator's Manual(s) before operating the equipment. Also, keep your equipment in good condition.
2. Use ROPS and seat belt whenever and wherever applicable.
If your tractor has a foldable ROPS, fold it down only when absolutely necessary and fold it up and lock it again as soon as possible. Do not wear the seat belt when the ROPS is folded.
3. Be familiar with your terrain and work area - walk the area first to be sure and drive safely. Use special caution on slopes, slow down for all turns and stay off the highway whenever possible.
4. Never start an engine in a closed shed or garage. Exhaust gas contains carbon monoxide, which is colorless, odorless - and deadly.
5. Always keep your PTO properly shielded. Make it a habit to walk around your tractor and PTO driven implement - never over, through or between the tractor and implement, particularly if either is running. The PTO rotates with enough speed and strength to kill you.
6. Keep your hitches low and always on the drawbar. Otherwise, your tractor might flip over backwards.
7. Never get off a moving tractor or leave it with its engine running. Shut it down before leaving the seat. A runaway tractor can be extremely dangerous.
8. Never refuel while the engine is running or hot. Additionally, do not add coolant to the radiator while the engine is hot; hot coolant can erupt and scald.
9. Keep all children off and away from your tractor and its implements at all times.
Children are generally attracted to tractors and the work they do. However, a tractor's work is not child's play. Remember, a child's disappointment is fleeting, while your memory of his or her injury or death resulting from riding the tractor with you, or being too close, will last a lifetime.
10. Never be in a hurry or take chances about anything you do with your tractor. Think safety first, then take your time and do it right.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Here’s Kubota’s 10 Commandments of Tractor Safety

1. Know your tractor, its implements and how they work.
Please read and understand the Operator's Manual(s) before operating the equipment. Also, keep your equipment in good condition.
2. Use ROPS and seat belt whenever and wherever applicable.
If your tractor has a foldable ROPS, fold it down only when absolutely necessary and fold it up and lock it again as soon as possible. Do not wear the seat belt when the ROPS is folded.
3. Be familiar with your terrain and work area - walk the area first to be sure and drive safely. Use special caution on slopes, slow down for all turns and stay off the highway whenever possible.
4. Never start an engine in a closed shed or garage. Exhaust gas contains carbon monoxide, which is colorless, odorless - and deadly.
5. Always keep your PTO properly shielded. Make it a habit to walk around your tractor and PTO driven implement - never over, through or between the tractor and implement, particularly if either is running. The PTO rotates with enough speed and strength to kill you.
6. Keep your hitches low and always on the drawbar. Otherwise, your tractor might flip over backwards.
7. Never get off a moving tractor or leave it with its engine running. Shut it down before leaving the seat. A runaway tractor can be extremely dangerous.
8. Never refuel while the engine is running or hot. Additionally, do not add coolant to the radiator while the engine is hot; hot coolant can erupt and scald.
9. Keep all children off and away from your tractor and its implements at all times.
Children are generally attracted to tractors and the work they do. However, a tractor's work is not child's play. Remember, a child's disappointment is fleeting, while your memory of his or her injury or death resulting from riding the tractor with you, or being too close, will last a lifetime.
10. Never be in a hurry or take chances about anything you do with your tractor. Think safety first, then take your time and do it right.

I like these 10 .....

two things I might add (both of which I have learned the hard way)

*Keep FEL as low as possible empty or FULL when moving
*When looking over should backing up - keep hand off joystick (raising bucket) - often you forget how high it is until it becomes a problem - btdt!

Reactions: 1 user

ki4dog

Equipment
L2501, Loader, DH1060, Titan 1205 rotary cutter, Titan pallet forks, TERYX
May 30, 2020
Kingston, TN
Number 7 is a challenge. I get off and on a lot opening gates, picking rocks out of the field etc. I just apply the brake. HST so maybe not as much risk.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Number 7 is a challenge. I get off and on a lot opening gates, picking rocks out of the field etc. I just apply the brake. HST so maybe not as much risk.
I drop the loader and rear implement, set the brake, and hope off to do what I need, so I'm guilty of this one.

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
Do most folks use the seatbelt? If I’m doing something quick I don’t, but for extended loader work I usually buckle in.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Do most folks use the seatbelt? If I’m doing something quick I don’t, but for extended loader work I usually buckle in.
Every single time. Like getting in a car. My property is relatively flat, not smooth but flat. If you don't wear that belt you fight twice as hard to stay in the seat. I find that I am more comfortable and less worn out with it on, plus if you have slopes. hills or other grades and do roll, you need something to keep your butt in the seat and out of the crush zone

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yes. I treat it just like my SUV, if it is moving, I put the belt on. It has become such a habit that I do it without even thinking.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have an open station. Unless I am on a slope, in open areas I do not wear a belt. Open station has no protection against impalement and objects you roll over onto. I prefer an easy escape, the belt removes that option. I have had branches in the woods cause issues that would have been bad wearing a belt as well. If you roll over onto a rock or stump at the mid point, your loved ones will wish you never put that belt on.

In a tractor cab, I would wear a belt to keep me planted in the seat. Rolling over in a cab, the cab is usually what does the damage to the operator so the seat belt makes sense. Also things like impalement on branches etc. should be protected in a cab.

YMMV - I live in a state where there is no seat belt law, yet we are well above the national average in vehicle safety and we have snowy winters - go figure.