My next project probably is a Log Arch

crmorse

Equipment
'20 RTV-XG850, '16 L47 TLB, '06 JCB 506CHL, '99 JD 455G, 1953 Ford 8N
Nov 28, 2016
Anniston, AL
I got to try out my arch yesterday. Worked great! Started with a 12”x14’ white oak. Less than 50lbs negative tongue weight and that was counteracted by tail dragging a little bit. Then I decided it was best to do a stress test. I have a 24” poplar log but it was way too long and I didn’t bring the chainsaw so grabbed a ~14”x25’ hickory. Chained the front to the tongue so it wouldn’t flop around and again tail dragged. Pulled it about 1/4mi up the hill.

Conclusions:
1) the swappable tow ring/tongue is fabulous.
2) I definitely need to add some kind of winch and cradle because hooking and unhooking every time to lift and drop logs is already tedious.
3) dang this thing is heavy. I only did 2 logs and i had my kids helping.

Mike, don’t know how you do it alone. You must be more man than I.

After I make the above mods its time to paint. Need to pick up some more self-etching primer and then I think It’ll be good old Allis Chalmers orange. Happens to match my L45 Kubota orange perfectly. I do still have a can of the brown I used on my dump wagon but I’m afraid that would make it too hard to find in the woods if it ever ran away from me down a hill [emoji38]

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
I got to try out my arch yesterday. Worked great! Started with a 12”x14’ white oak. Less than 50lbs negative tongue weight and that was counteracted by tail dragging a little bit. Then I decided it was best to do a stress test. I have a 24” poplar log but it was way too long and I didn’t bring the chainsaw so grabbed a ~14”x25’ hickory. Chained the front to the tongue so it wouldn’t flop around and again tail dragged. Pulled it about 1/4mi up the hill.

Conclusions:
1) the swappable tow ring/tongue is fabulous.
2) I definitely need to add some kind of winch and cradle because hooking and unhooking every time to lift and drop logs is already tedious.
3) dang this thing is heavy. I only did 2 logs and i had my kids helping.

Mike, don’t know how you do it alone. You must be more man than I.

After I make the above mods its time to paint. Need to pick up some more self-etching primer and then I think It’ll be good old Allis Chalmers orange. Happens to match my L45 Kubota orange perfectly. I do still have a can of the brown I used on my dump wagon but I’m afraid that would make it too hard to find in the woods if it ever ran away from me down a hill [emoji38]
Not more of a man, i just have less of a brain. I'm taking off today too. Still feeling it. I do plan on pulling logs across my marsh tomorrow with the Capstan, about 140 feet.
Your design using the Capstan to pull the arch is intriguing and has me looking at doing the same to pull logs across my marsh, without the front of the arch plowing mud.
Thanks for posting your progress and results...

crmorse

Equipment
'20 RTV-XG850, '16 L47 TLB, '06 JCB 506CHL, '99 JD 455G, 1953 Ford 8N
Nov 28, 2016
Anniston, AL
Ironically, last week was my kids’ “Spring Break” we stayed home, of course, and split up our time doing fun stuff and farm chores. We dropped that big 25” DBH x 70’ standing dead white oak. I got three solid straight 12’ sections out of it, another 12’ knotty that should be interesting and then a 10’ crotch that might make great bookmatched slabs for the future 10-top kitchen table.

We pulled them all down the hill with the capstan winch (worked great) and I got the first section out with the log arch. Its a really rough road from back there up to the house with a couple of stream crossings but it all worked pretty well. I need to add some rigging to the arch to crank up logs with rope like the LogRite has before I go back for the bigger ones. Using only the tongs I was able to only barely get it off the ground, need a little more height. Great news though is the size and strength of the arch seems just right. Its a bit heavy to move around though. Gonna be a bear if I ever have to pull it up hill sometime.

Cooler weather forecast for this week so after I get the garden setup I’ll go back for the rest of the logs and start cherry-picking the best of what’s left on the ground before the summer heat kicks in.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I like the arches in post #31 and #39...
Also like the fact they have 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern so you could any 13-14-15" trailer tire.. More clearance, easier rolling on than donut tires. If I did a home built, I would build the same center to center width as my tractor tires..

I have seen where people make and use about a 2' square type of skid shoe that chains to the trailing end of the log. Kind of a mini stone boat. Then they lift the front with there 3pt trailer mover, and pull from the draw bar. Maybe a bit more work to hook up, but simple, cheaper than other options.

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
Ironically, last week was my kids’ “Spring Break” we stayed home, of course, and split up our time doing fun stuff and farm chores. We dropped that big 25” DBH x 70’ standing dead white oak. I got three solid straight 12’ sections out of it, another 12’ knotty that should be interesting and then a 10’ crotch that might make great bookmatched slabs for the future 10-top kitchen table.

We pulled them all down the hill with the capstan winch (worked great) and I got the first section out with the log arch. Its a really rough road from back there up to the house with a couple of stream crossings but it all worked pretty well. I need to add some rigging to the arch to crank up logs with rope like the LogRite has before I go back for the bigger ones. Using only the tongs I was able to only barely get it off the ground, need a little more height. Great news though is the size and strength of the arch seems just right. Its a bit heavy to move around though. Gonna be a bear if I ever have to pull it up hill sometime.

Cooler weather forecast for this week so after I get the garden setup I’ll go back for the rest of the logs and start cherry-picking the best of what’s left on the ground before the summer heat kicks in.
Great seeing the kids having fun in the woods. I've been sawing and splitting for the last couple weeks, but plan on getting the arch across my marsh to pull a few more next week.