My first tractor - Need guidance

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Typical dealer stuff. Sorry i dont ever trust them. A shame you have to argue facts to them to spend your money.

Reactions: 1 user

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
The dealer did explain to me that the price of the tires is built into the price of the tractor itself on kubotausa. He’s correct. They are charging me less for the tires than kubota would directly.

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
The cost is the determining factor here. I am not opposed to either but the DT is the easiest to come by as they have them on the lot. No wait time on that. And the price.
I bought my latest tractor in 2019, and at that time the DT option was way less expensive, I want to say about $1400 less. I think. In any case, I wanted the DT no matter what, just my preference.

My property is also steep. Mountainous. When I bought my first tractor, an L2350, which I believe was something like 25 Hp, I was very surprised that first day when I realized how unstable it was on my place. I had it up on two wheels........once. I did not come close to rolling over, as I was going slowly and had no weight in the bucket nor did I have the bucket raised up high, but it was an eye-opener. I very soon flipped the rear wheels around to get the widest stance, and that helped. I still had to be cautious. My newest tractor is the 47 horse 4701 and it has a number of settings for widening the rear stance. I told the dealer, when I ordered it, I wanted those wheels widened as far as they would go. A mechanic asked him if the customer, me, was sure he really wanted that, and the dealer had been up to my place to give me a bid on my trade-in, an L3000, and he said, yep, I've been up there and he needs those wheels as wide as they can go. Do it.

I have had very good service from Land Pride stuff. Kubota bought them a while back, don't know whether any changes were made other than the color of paint. But mine are about 20 yr. old and have been great.

Reactions: 1 users

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
Does the dealer have the tractor available on the lot or will it have to be ordered? Seems like most are having to have the equipment ordered with a 3+month or longer for delivery of the equipment.
I made sure to ask about this. Thanks for the direction.

Dealer says everything is ready to go with the exception of a couple small things that have to come from kubota but he said a couple weeks wait at most.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
I bought my latest tractor in 2019, and at that time the DT option was way less expensive, I want to say about $1400 less. I think. In any case, I wanted the DT no matter what, just my preference.

My property is also steep. Mountainous. When I bought my first tractor, an L2350, which I believe was something like 25 Hp, I was very surprised that first day when I realized how unstable it was on my place. I had it up on two wheels........once. I did not come close to rolling over, as I was going slowly and had no weight in the bucket nor did I have the bucket raised up high. I very soon flipped the rear wheels around to get the widest stance, and that helped. I still had to be cautious. My newest tractor is the 47 horse 4701 and it has a number of settings for widening the rear stance. I told the dealer, when I ordered it, I wanted those wheels widened as far as they would go. A mechanic asked him if the customer, me, was sure he really wanted that, and the dealer had been up to my place to give me a bid on my trade-in, an L3000, and he said, yep, I've been up there and he needs those wheels as wide as they can go. Do it.

I have had very good service from Land Pride stuff. Kubota bought them a while back, don't know whether any changes were made other than the color of paint. But mine are about 20 yr. old and have been great.
DT option is about $1800 cheaper.

Thank you for the insight about the terrain.

I did ask the dealer about spacers. He thinks they shouldn’t be necessary with the r14T tires since they are much wider than R1 tires.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
-To run a 5 foot rear mower you will need adequate horsepower to your PTO. the 2501 puts out enough to run it but is likely to bog down unless you mow often.
-Lift capacity is limited to about #1500 low and <#900 high.
Do you think the 33Hp 3301DT will be significantly better for using the cutter in heavy stuff?

I did see where other people have mentioned their 2501 had issues with bogging down in tall/heavy grass. I wonder if that was the HST or DT? Or if it’s just a lack of power?

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
Do you think the 33Hp 3301DT will be significantly better for using the cutter in heavy stuff?

I did see where other people have mentioned their 2501 had issues with bogging down in tall/heavy grass. I wonder if that was the HST or DT? Or if it’s just a lack of power?
The 1260 is a lightduty rotary cutter if you are doing alot of actual brush cutting and not just field mowing.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
The 1260 is a lightduty rotary cutter if you are doing alot of actual brush cutting and not just field mowing.
95% field mowing here. There may be saplings here and there but it’s mostly just grass and briars. Tons of briars right now.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
3301 PTO will help and better if it is the DT version. Lift capacity is the same as the 2501- not a function of HP but of hydraulic flow. They use the same pump as I understand it.

If you used the 20% discount you could afford more tractor. I'd look at the 4701 if the math worked out. you get a much more capable loader. I read with the 20% discount that a person loses the 0% financing for 60 mo.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
FYI - The dealer didn’t seem pleased when I brought up the 20% kubota discount for being a member with the horse cutter assn.

He said he’d call me back sometime today or tomorrow with information about that

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
3301 PTO will help and better if it is the DT version. Lift capacity is the same as the 2501- not a function of HP but of hydraulic flow. They use the same pump as I understand it.

If you used the 20% discount you could afford more tractor. I'd look at the 4701 if the math worked out. you get a much more capable loader. I read with the 20% discount that a person loses the 0% financing for 60 mo.
I won’t be using that discount then.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
I won’t be using that discount then.
taken off the kubotausa website:

1. 2022 EQUINE MEMBERSHIP PURCHASING PROGRAM (kubotausa.com)

*© Kubota Tractor Corporation, 2020. Up to 20% off MSRP on select models plus Standard Rate Financing (Promotional Rate Financing not Applicable). ... Offer expires 12/31/2022.

20% off ALL tractors and implements when purchased together

2. KUBOTA STANDARD L TRACTOR PURCHASE SPECIAL OFFERS (kubotausa.com)

Standard Rate Financing-

• 1.99% A.P.R. fixed rate for up to 48 Months with 0% Down
  • 2.49% A.P.R. fixed rate for up to 60 Months with 0% Down

Rebate is not available with 0% A.P.R. or other promotional financing. Some exceptions apply. Offer expires 6/30/2022.

** You still will likely come out ahead with the discount and standard financing. Make sure to address all financial scenarios.

Quick numbers using the chart off the "special offers page"
ZERO down- 5 year 0% financing- 60 months at $16.67 (per $1000 financed) x 38=38,008 (does not include Kubota insurance)
-(30,406 at 20% off)
Zero down- 5 year 2.49% (standard) financing at $17.74 ($1000 financed) x 38= $44,447 (does not include Kubota insurance)
-(32,358 @20% off)

This is helpful for me too.
Thank you for asking the question this morning.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Total price sort of hard for me to understand…I’d be wary of the trailer portion…is it really enough for your plans? 1. Weight of payload after you subtract weight of the trailer. 2. Are the ramps sufficient for what you plan to load now and into the future…get the best ramps for you intended purpose. 3. Make sure the tires and axels match your maximum load, speed and planned use. A lot of trailers come with very cheap tires. It’s a shame when you spend cash on a new trailer and it comes with crappy tires. May not matter at initial purchase but It will down the road…literally. Usually for not too aweful you can upgrade tires and axles and get a lot more trailer in my opinion. I agree with the others above regarding enough tractor. …package price no matter if it’s not enough. Do you really need the trailer and plan to travel? If not another option is buy more tractor? Not my money or property, but I personally have purchased 3 tractors over 10 years for 2 properties that I currently own. I had a trailer (utility) previously and now I own two tractors and have added a second trailer (equipment)It’s easy for me in hindsight to suggest, however at my original purchase I thought I was doing right thing based on minimum spec/$. Honestly I did not spend enough time thinking about longer term plans or the total stack up of weight and how to safely haul. I think I could have saved my self 25-30% fairly easily looking back and had less headache/stress…I am not sure what that is worth. I wouldnt sweat the price so much watching the dollar take a nose dive and price of everything go out of control. Buy a size bigger than you think you need at todays prices. If you can only buy one buy the tractor and borrow or pay a friend to haul. Just my thoughts.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Thank you so much for this advice!! I just signed up.

Do we have to wait for the card to come in the mail? How do I use the membership to get the discount?
The only issue with the Equine discount... (I used it last Sept on my LX2610) is that you have to either pay cash or get your own financing. The 0% financing is not available with the equine discount. I used the paint horse discount as one of my kids has a paint horse and it made me feel a bit more "honest" in using it. It netted me just over 17% off MSRP. BUT not all dealers give the full discount. For example the 1st dealer I talked to just to the East of Lansing gave me a offer that was $1,000 OVER MSRP. The dealer I bought that same tractor from was over $5500 less. Also I have the "big" tires on my LX same size as on the L2501 it cost me $205 to have them loaded with RimGuard.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
Total price sort of hard for me to understand…I’d be wary of the trailer portion…is it really enough for your plans? 1. Weight of payload after you subtract weight of the trailer. 2. Are the ramps sufficient for what you plan to load now and into the future…get the best ramps for you intended purpose. 3. Make sure the tires and axels match your maximum load, speed and planned use. A lot of trailers come with very cheap tires. It’s a shame when you spend cash on a new trailer and it comes with crappy tires. May not matter at initial purchase but It will down the road…literally. Usually for not too aweful you can upgrade tires and axles and get a lot more trailer in my opinion. I agree with the others above regarding enough tractor. …package price no matter if it’s not enough. Do you really need the trailer and plan to travel? If not another option is buy more tractor? Not my money or property, but I personally have purchased 3 tractors over 10 years for 2 properties that I currently own. I had a trailer (utility) previously and now I own two tractors and have added a second trailer (equipment)It’s easy for me in hindsight to suggest, however at my original purchase I thought I was doing right thing based on minimum spec/$. Honestly I did not spend enough time thinking about longer term plans or the total stack up of weight and how to safely haul. I think I could have saved my self 25-30% fairly easily looking back and had less headache/stress…I am not sure what that is worth. I wouldnt sweat the price so much watching the dollar take a nose dive and price of everything go out of control. Buy a size bigger than you think you need at todays prices. If you can only buy one buy the tractor and borrow or pay a friend to haul. Just my thoughts.
thank you for the advice!

The trailer is a nice trailer. Orange line brand. 18’ equipment It’s rated for 10k lbs. The trailer doesn’t need ramps you can just drive on or off of it. I like it.

I would like to buy a bigger tractor but I can’t at this time. It’s just what I can afford as an added monthly payment.

What I’m doing with the tractor is mostly cutting grass and briars. The property I’m on has already been cleared a long time ago. It’s just overgrown now after probably 5-10 years of neglect. I think it will do fine for this.

Thanks again for the advice.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
The only issue with the Equine discount... (I used it last Sept on my LX2610) is that you have to either pay cash or get your own financing. The 0% financing is not available with the equine discount. I used the paint horse discount as one of my kids has a paint horse and it made me feel a bit more "honest" in using it. It netted me just over 17% off MSRP. BUT not all dealers give the full discount. For example the 1st dealer I talked to just to the East of Lansing gave me a offer that was $1,000 OVER MSRP. The dealer I bought that same tractor from was over $5500 less. Also I have the "big" tires on my LX same size as on the L2501 it cost me $205 to have them loaded with RimGuard.
I agree it makes sense if you’re paying cash. I am not using the equine discount since I am financing.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
I’ve settled on the 3301 instead of the 2501 for the little extra HP. We are going to be applying for the financing today. It will be probably about 3 weeks until we receive it.

I have not actually seen or driven the tractor I’m buying. It’s new. Is this something that you would normally do with a new tractor? Is there anything else I should be thinking about now that it’s time to do the paperwork?

thanks everyone who’s commented and helped me out. I am very grateful as your comments have been very helpful!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I’ve settled on the 3301 instead of the 2501 for the little extra HP. We are going to be applying for the financing today. It will be probably about 3 weeks until we receive it.

I have not actually seen or driven the tractor I’m buying. It’s new. Is this something that you would normally do with a new tractor? Is there anything else I should be thinking about now that it’s time to do the paperwork?

thanks everyone who’s commented and helped me out. I am very grateful as your comments have been very helpful!
I don't know if you got a 3rd function installed or not, but this would be the time to get the 3rd function. You may not have a grapple yet, but someday, you most likely are going to want one and this is the time to do it. I know I really like my grapple and use it all the time.

The only other thing I wish I had put on my tractor and I didn't (and still don't because of the cost) is two rear remotes so I could use a top-n-tilt kit.

chunk

Equipment
L3301
Mar 8, 2022
Bolar, Virginia
I don't know if you got a 3rd function installed or not, but this would be the time to get the 3rd function. You may not have a grapple yet, but someday, you most likely are going to want one and this is the time to do it. I know I really like my grapple and use it all the time.

The only other thing I wish I had put on my tractor and I didn't (and still don't because of the cost) is two rear remotes so I could use a top-n-tilt kit.
I did get the third valve! I will only have one rear remote as well on this tractor. I cannot afford the second remote. So I guess I’ll be sucking it up and adjusting implements angles manually!

I think of it like this: when I buy my next tractor I’ll make sure to save up enough money to get all the extra things I wanted with this one (like HST) and I’ll appreciate them that much more.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio

I didnt drive mine. Thought about it later lol....7 year warranty. I wanted a cab 3310 i think thats a sweet machine. My wife though will be helping and wanted the cab and heat.
So i bought what they had. I love the tractor im sure you will too. Congrats !!!