My first tractor - b7100

michael496

Equipment
'79 B7100, 5' Massey Ferguson Finish Mower
Feb 26, 2013
Titusville, FL
I'm so excited I got my first tractor Monday. It's a b7100. It has turf tires / golf cart tires on it. Originally I wanted Ag tires because well it's a tractor. I'm starting to like the rims for the turf tires. I think I'm going to just keep the turf rims and put R4 tires on them. Since there are no R4 that will fit the 10" rims I'll have to go to the 12's. I don't know if I can find a 4 bolt 12" inch rim that is ~ 7 inches wide....

I'm wondering if I may be able to go with one of the 6 lug rims. Two if the holes are straight across from one another and I could just drill two more holes. I'm not sure if the holes will be the same distance apart as my current ones. I'll look into it and take some measurements. Another thought is for me to turn a couple of 4 to 6 lug wheel adapters. I'll figure it out.

Known Problems:

He started repainting it!!!! The orange is ok. But he was changing the Kubota blue to Gator Blue (purple). Yeah that is what I want a tractor that is Gator orange and blue. I'll take care of this right away.

Battery is Bad. Already replaced...

Throwout Bearing is bad. Makes an awful noise and won't completely disengage the clutch. I'm afraid the pilot bearing is trash as well. I hope the tranny input shaft is ok. I'll split the beast this weekend and see what it looks like.

Right rear break is non functional. It has new breaks. I'm suspecting the lever mechanism that spreads the breaks may be frozen. I'll pull the wheel off today. FYI - The guy I bought the tractor from sent the brake shoes off to NC clutch and Break and had them refurbish them. Costed him 90 bucks with shipping. He got them back in 3 days.

Hood, seat base, muffler and protection plates behind the foot boards are rusted out. No worries - I'll pull them off and add some metal to them. I'll just replace the seat.

Front rims need to be switched to 12's - I'll figure this out later, after the major stuff is fixed. I suspect the golf cart tires may not be the right size. I won't run it in 4wd until I have time to do some calculations.

Throttle Mechanism is frozen together. Fixed this already. A little pb blaster does wonders.

I paid $1200 for it. I think I got an ok deal on it. I"m not really sure. Everything else works great. Starts right up and doesn't smoke. All the gears work well and are quite. PTO is good and rear hydraulic are fine.

I'll add some pictures in a little while.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Welcome aboard! You have great taste in first tractors, but I'm a little biased. You will be amazed what these little workhorses can accomplish.
Sorry I can't offer any advice, as I haven't had any of the problems you describe. Some one will chime in with more experience. Now if you want to rebuild a B670 Backhoe, I'm your man!:p
Did you get any implements?
Here's a few pics of my little beastie:

Attachments

michael496

Equipment
Feb 26, 2013
Titusville, FL
I wish. The first thing that I would like to buy will be a 5' finish mower so that I can get rid of the Cracksman that I bought a while back. Then I think I'll build a loader. I know these only have 3gpm flow but I'm not using it for a living so I think it will be fine.

michael496

Equipment
Feb 26, 2013
Titusville, FL
Oh I found out why the right side break wasn't working. The stub shaft is broken at the brake hub. :eek: I'll tackle this later. After I get the new clutch in.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome Michael496! My wife and I used to live in Merritt Island, back in the 90's.
Your tractor needs work, but it sounds like you know what you got, what you are going, and where you are heading. It looks like a worthy project, and money well spent.

michael496

Equipment
Feb 26, 2013
Titusville, FL
lsmurphy - I seen your restoration the other day before I joined the forum. Awesome just awesome. I am in the process of doing some cover painting now with a rattle can just to cover up some of the ugly. This winter when things slow down a bit, I plan on following your example. It'll give me some time to gather the parts like decals etc...

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
lsmurphy - I seen your restoration the other day before I joined the forum. Awesome just awesome. I am in the process of doing some cover painting now with a rattle can just to cover up some of the ugly. This winter when things slow down a bit, I plan on following your example. It'll give me some time to gather the parts like decals etc...

You asked about the wheels, I just installed them last night.......that's why I posted the link.

Finding centered 7x12s are nearly impossible.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Interesting rocks in the background of your last pic.

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
Oh I found out why the right side break wasn't working. The stub shaft is broken at the brake hub. :eek: I'll tackle this later. After I get the new clutch in.
For some reason it's always the right side differential brake pinion(if your sitting in the seat) that shears off on these little Kubota's, at least thats all I could find in my google search last year when I had to replace the pinion in my B7200. And don't plan on replacing the differential gear lube until after you replace the pinion, because you will have just to drain it again when you replace the part. I got lucky and found a used one shipped for $75 and it had a good bearing on it. Also, I saw your other post... and the answer is no, the LH and RH pinions are different. Click here and save this file to your computer > http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Parts Manuals/&file=B7100HST-D_60164.pdf then scroll down to page 123. the part # you need is 66611-15120. You can get a quote from here > http://www.tractor-part.com/search?q=666+DIFF+66611-15120 Congrats on your tractor purchase and welcome to OTT.
I edited the links so everything should be correct now.

Last edited:

michael496

Equipment
Feb 26, 2013
Titusville, FL
For some reason it's always the right side differential brake pinion(if your sitting in the seat) that shears off on these little Kubota's, at least thats all I could find in my google search last year when I had to replace the pinion in my B7200. And don't plan on replacing the differential gear lube until after you replace the pinion, because you will have just to drain it again when you replace the part. I got lucky and found a used one shipped for $75 and it had a good bearing on it. Also, I saw your other post... and the answer is no, the LH and RH pinions are different. Click here and save this file to your computer > http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Parts Manuals/&file=B7100HST-D_60164.pdf then scroll down to page 123. the part # you need is 66611-15120. You can get a quote from here > http://www.tractor-part.com/search?q=666+DIFF+66611-15120 Congrats on your tractor purchase and welcome to OTT.
I edited the links so everything should be correct now.
You are a life saver. This gets me where I need. I'm not able to get the manuals just yet and I have tried going on to Kubota's sight to get the part numbers. It just kinda seemed like a mess to me. I have contacted a couple mail or sites and they haven't emailed me back yet. This is exactly what I needed.

Last edited: