My First Gray

haleswd

Jan 20, 2014
Bryant, Alabama
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I hope to use it as a knowledgeable resource for my future Grey Kubota.

I inherited a L2601 with a D1301 engine from my late father. I am having trouble finding any information. I have found a Master Parts and Factory Assembly Order Manual for $55. I guess I am going to have to give in a buy it, but I'm not happy.

I am planning on changing the fluids, and I would like to know the capacities and what you guys use. I had planned on using Super Tech 15W40 oil and Super Tech 80W90 gear lube. Does anyone have any comments / advice.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You will need to give us some more information.
2wd or 4wd?
FEL or not?
HST, Gear or other?

Just as a note: Most of Kubota tractors of that variety don't use 80W90 they use Kubota hydraulic fluid, it's a different viscosity, so you might want to make sure your using the right fluid.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Actually Wolfman, my L series manual recommends 80W gear oil in the transmission and 90W in the front axle. Gear drive unit of course. Depending on his vintage, gear oil could be fine. In my case my loader is plumbed into the tractor hydraulic system, so I use SuperTech tractor fluid in the trans.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Actually Wolfman, my L series manual recommends 80W gear oil in the transmission and 90W in the front axle. Gear drive unit of course. Depending on his vintage, gear oil could be fine. In my case my loader is plumbed into the tractor hydraulic system, so I use SuperTech tractor fluid in the trans.
Sorry, statement is little convoluted on my part, but what your pointing out is my point, Need more info to give it a good call on what fluid should be used.

wild bill

May 8, 2010
South Wales, NY
I saw your same question on another forum. If you search this forum for the tractor series suggested, you will find links to online service manuals.

haleswd

Jan 20, 2014
Bryant, Alabama
Sorry I have not replied earlier. I thought I would receive an email if someone responded to this thread, but I didn't. So I didn't realize people were actually trying to help me.

I am not a tractor guy, and this is my first tractor. Coupled with the fact that it is so difficult to find info on they grey tractors, I'm having a hard time. So, be gentle. It is a 2WD, no FEL, and truthfully I'm not sure about the gearing.

It doesn't run, but I think that is an electrical issue. I can handle that, if I could find part numbers. I have searched high and low for a parts book, and have found nothing free. If I'm an idiot and just overlooking it, I would greatly appreciate a link to a L2601 parts manual.

I have been told that the L295 is the closest US equivalent tractor. Those capacities are:

Oil - 6.4 Quarts (1.6 Gallons)
UDT Transmission/Hydraulic Fluid - 27.5 Quarts (6.8 Gallons)
Antifreeze - 6.1 Quarts (1.5 Gallons)

How would I find out if I need to use 80w90 or actual hydraulic fluid?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's comparable to a L295 and a L295 is using UDT then I would use UDT too.;)

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
According to Tractordata, the L295 was produced during the same window as my L245. I'm guessing that your tractor is a gear drive, meaning traditional manual transmission, not a hydrostatic unit. Do you have "normal" shifters, clutch pedal, etc?

Fluid discussions can get pretty heated, so I'll preface this by saying it's only my opinion. I'd say you're likely just fine with SuperTech tractor fluid. Just read the labels and make sure it's good for transmissions, brakes, and hydraulics. If you have a hydrostatic, they are much more picky about fluids and most would steer you toward Kubota brand UDT.

Service Dept. Vic has written some great articles and made a bunch of videos that you can find on the main page that would surely be worth your time. There are sections on grey market tractors and fluids.