My first 50 hr maintenace

Mtncrzy

Equipment
B2650
Sep 2, 2019
Bailey, Co
On a B2650. Replaced Tranny Filter (all good). The manual says then to also replace Hydraulic Filter but not the fluid. Can you replace the Hydraulic filter without draining down the fluid first, which the manual says to do.
Procedure says to drain, but the 50hr chart says just filter.
I'm afraid if I just try to do the filter , I will have a mess.

Also when I did the Tranny Filter the radiator hose had a slight pressure against
the filter. Possible future wear point on rad hose and makes hard to feel the
threads trying to square up filter when spinning back on.
Is there a way to improve this. Seems like I little too tight of a design.
Thanks

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
yes, you can do it without losing much fluid. Just have everything ready to go (new filter at the ready).

I plugged the hydraulic breather tube (rear of tractor) with a pencil. That will really slow / cut down on your fluid loss when you remove the filter.

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
Even without plugging breather when I removed the filter on my 2650 I lost about two quarts of fluid (i was attempting the vacuum trick but it failed). If you have a new drain pan or one that will not contamate the fluid you could resuse it. If you are quick enough you will loose alot less fluid than i did

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Take a look at the fluid.

I changed all my fluids at 50 hours and I am glad I did.

The transmission and front axle were both dirty enough that I would not want to leave them in there.

Mtncrzy

Equipment
B2650
Sep 2, 2019
Bailey, Co
All Good replies.
Thanks for the help.
Time to move forward.

Did anyone else have the Radiator Hose tight against the Tranny Filter from the factory ?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
All Good replies.
Thanks for the help.
Time to move forward.

Did anyone else have the Radiator Hose tight against the Tranny Filter from the factory ?
There usually is about 4' of clearance between the radiator hose and HST filter. You have either got you filter locations mixed up or you hoses mixed up.
The lower radiator hose lays on the engine oil filter, has on B series for many years.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
You can do a search of this site and find multiple threads for this same topic.

Personally, I changed all the fluids, minus radiator, and filters. It was a learning experience, but as others stated, it needed it.

Mtncrzy

Equipment
B2650
Sep 2, 2019
Bailey, Co
There usually is about 4' of clearance between the radiator hose and HST filter. You have either got you filter locations mixed up or you hoses mixed up.
The lower radiator hose lays on the engine oil filter, has on B series for many years.
Yes . Realized my mix up in description today as I was double checking my fluid levels. ( Engine oil filter. )
So it doesn't cause extra wear on the hose ?
Still makes it a little difficult lining up the filter being cautious of threads. I just don't work physically well off the floor anymore.
At least I know it is typical now.
Thanks

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
When just replacing the hydraulic filter I drive my tractor up 2 ramps on one side so it is at an angle. I only leak a small amount of fluid, more or less what was in the filter. Harbor freight have a low cost pair of plastic ramps, the 7-8” height works well.

As others comment, have your new filter ready, spin off old filter, spin on new filter.

good luck with your work.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
I change all fluid & filters at the 50 hour service.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
On a B2650. Replaced Tranny Filter (all good). The manual says then to also replace Hydraulic Filter but not the fluid. Can you replace the Hydraulic filter without draining down the fluid first, which the manual says to do.
Procedure says to drain, but the 50hr chart says just filter.
I'm afraid if I just try to do the filter , I will have a mess.

Also when I did the Tranny Filter the radiator hose had a slight pressure against
the filter. Possible future wear point on rad hose and makes hard to feel the
threads trying to square up filter when spinning back on.
Is there a way to improve this. Seems like I little too tight of a design.
Thanks
I had both filters standing by lubed and ready, was quick at removing the old and re-threading the new filters, and lost roughly 1/2 litre or quart only. Barely noticed the drop on the dipstick, but added it back anyway.

I asked the head mechanic at my local Kubota dealership about the necessity or wisdom of changing all the hydraulic fluid at 50 hours instead of 400 hours as stated in the manual. He said to check the old filter inlet and and any drain oil you catch for metal bits/filings and photo record anything you see, in case any warranty claim needs to be made in the future on the engine. I saw nothing, and the fluid was pretty much clear. He also made it very clear that with regular filter changes the fluid is capable of operating within spec for over 800 hours. So tossing after 50 hours with no sign of degradation (dark, cloudy, burnt smelling, excess shavings in filter and drain oil, etc) is a waste.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
So tossing after 50 hours with no sign of degradation (dark, cloudy, burnt smelling, excess shavings in filter and drain oil, etc) is a waste.

In my case, not really, though I'm well past 50 hours (2000 hours and 5000 hours respectively), I changed mine at 50 and each of mine take 15 gallons on a change....:D My transmission fluids get changed (and filters) every 2 years and my engine oil gets changed every fall and I do an oil analysis on both.

I recycle all my changed fluids except anti freeze, tractors, cars and trucks. They all go into a waste oil tank and get burned to heat my shop in the winter. Anti freeze goes back to my Kubota dealer and they have Safety Kleen pick it up. I imagine that Safety Kleen recycles it though I don't know.

if your fluid EVER smells burnt, you have issues other than fluid. You can bank on that.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Mine looked like a nice light silver metallic paint still in the can. No way I was going to leave that. It did work however during break in so that may be a difference.