MX6000 cab tractor lightning upgrades

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
With the days getting shorter and shorter, I need to keep using my machine in the evenings. The factory lighting on the MX is quite weak. I have the front and rear factory work lights. They basically help light up the immediate area around the perimeter of the tractor but have no reach whatsoever. For example, I can see my implement behind me, but I can't really see beyond the implement. The ones on the front do even worse, since the hood of the tractor is ahead of the lights. So, I can see my front wheels but they really add nothing beyond the front of the tractor and only a little to the sides. The headlights on the MX are poor; shame on Kubota. They are an oddball Asian HS1 bulb, with dual filaments, 35 watts on low or high. Only the beam pattern changes, not brightness. By comparison, a typical car halogen headlight is 55w on low, and 60w on high. Also worth noting is that the Grand L 60 tractor series uses the better 55w/60w headlights. I realize the Grand L is a "premium" model while the MX is an "economy" model, but did Kubota honestly think just because a person bought an "economy" tractor they wouldn't need decent headlights?

Anyway, I previously owned a Grand L model, a 4060HSTC with the better lights. However, even it had the same awful cab mounted worklights. On that tractor, I upgraded the bulbs in the front work lights to HID bulbs with ballasts I concealed in the roof. They were considerably brighter, but I didn't like how they had to warm up to reach full brightness. Anyway, I just ordered a pair of TigerLights LED lights which fit the stock Kubota worklight enclosures...meaning the appearance is unchanged.

However, I'm quite sure that this will not be enough. Anyone aware of an HS1 bulb upgrade to an LED with more equivalent wattage? Will an H4 LED bulb work? I hate putting a light bar on as I think they look gawdy, but I might have to. Thoughts on lighting upgrades for this tractor?

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Quick bit of googling says the hs1 is the same base as an h4/9003 bulb. You can verify at any big box store or auto parts store to be sure that is the case with an old one for comparison.

That being the case they are the standard 55w/60w that you are looking for. So an LED equivalent to THAT bulb may be what you are after. However, in my experience with all off highway equipment, it probably won't help much. Whether it be deere, cat, or kubota; wheel loader, tractor, utv, atv, fork truck or otherwise, it comes down to light housing design rather than the light source itself. For some reason which is beyond my pay-grade to know, they all just refuse to design proper housings which project the light properly.

An alternative is of course led light bars and cubes. That's what we always use. You could spend the time to color match the housings and perhaps smoke the lenses if that would look better to you.

Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I also noticed the H4 bulbs have the same connectors. With halogen H4's, there's probably a chance of melting the reflector housing / lens and / or the wiring because of the higher wattage. With LED's, probably not. I ordered a pair of Sylvania H4 LEDs, with the heatsink and fan and remote wire connector. Should fit just fine. I suspect you are right, though. The reflector was made for a halogen 35w bulb. These LED's will probably be way brighter, but the lens will scatter the light everywhere. I would never do this "upgrade" in a car like unfortunately so many people do, because of the glare to other drivers. However, I don't mind trying on a tractor. I think I will also buy maybe a small 10" light bar from a reputable brand to mount on the grille guard. Hopefully all these lights improve nighttime operation.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I have a set of the sylvania leds in my old dakota. Due to the design of the square housings having no top or bottom reflectors they work great with a sharp cut off line that keeps other drivers from going blind. They are brighter, but unlike some if the no name brands they were clockable and have lasted going on two years now with daily use. I think you'll like them.

Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'll let you know how it goes. I didn't want the no-name Chinese varieties from Amazon that likely will fail quickly. These were $90.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
In my experience, most tractors come with poor lighting. Factory headlights want to reflect glare back when using the FEL or a snow plow rather than shine where you need them. Here's one of many previous threads on adding lights:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
In my experience, most tractors come with poor lighting. Factory headlights want to reflect glare back when using the FEL or a snow plow rather than shine where you need them. Here's one of many previous threads on adding lights:

Lol, Chim...that's my thread from last year. I never resolved the lighting situation from last year, and this year its biting me in the behind. I mowed for two hours after dark last night and got terrible eye strain and a little bit of dizziness trying to see. Keep in mind I'm flail-mowing a field with grasses at 3-4 feet in height on average, so the low mounted lights won't work. I did notice running just the headlights on high beam created a light that was easier on the eyes than combined with the front work lights. The problem with the front lights is that they glare off the hood and the windshield glass.

Stuff should be arriving today / tomorrow, I'll post an update.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've thought about trying some sort of cutoff masking on the front cab lights to eliminate hood glare. Also, when I'm working at night - and remember to do it - I wear a dark shirt. It really cuts down on the reflection on the glass.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I used to be a big fan of Land Rovers before they became purely yuppie-mobiles. I recalled they put a large flat black decal on the hood to cut down on the glare from the roof lights. I wonder if I could have a shop cut me a piece of flat black vinyl to stick down to the top of the hood. Might look cool, might not, but would also protect the paint from sun fading.
Camel2.jpg

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I just got the Tiger Lights which replace the factory work lights on the cab. I will install them today and use them tonight. They definitely look just like the original units, but seem to be made very well - they are heavy - and come in very nice packaging. Quite costly, but made specifically for Kubota.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
They look good and are nice and bright, easy install. Not a game changer for night time mowing in a field, but certainly an improvement. The white light is nice and sharp. No radio interference.
IMG_2003.jpeg