MX5200 HST recall

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I went out and checked the transmission serial # on my L4701 HST. It looks like V91088. Someone else posted the cutoff serial # was much lower. Does someone have a list? I would be very appreciative.

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I went out and checked the transmission serial # on my L4701 HST. It looks like V91088. Someone else posted the cutoff serial # was much lower. Does someone have a list? I would be very appreciative.
The hydro serial numbers for L4701s are all between V940024 to V960069. Not all serial numbers between those two serial numbers are affected. The count is 530 units.
You may want to recheck your hydro serial number as they have 6 numerals, what you posted has only 5.

The hydro serial number is forward of the HST filter and beside an Allen head plug.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
The hydro serial numbers for L4701s are all between V940024 to V960069. Not all serial numbers between those two serial numbers are affected. The count is 530 units.
You may want to recheck your hydro serial number as they have 6 numerals, what you posted has only 5.
The hydro serial number is forward of the HST filter and beside an Allen head plug.
Like whitetiger says, the # should be 6 numbers long.
This is the picture that I had to provide Kubota so they could "clear" my machine for use. I had to use a flat screw driver and some sand paper to get a good enough picture for them but my Dealer is giving me a free can of paint to make up for it.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48902&d=1588117806

Last edited:

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA

I just realized I didn’t post the number correctly, but can see from the picture I attached that it is V910088. This seems like mine is a prior serial number? So maybe good?

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
I just realized I didn’t post the number correctly, but can see from the picture I attached that it is V910088. This seems like mine is a prior serial number? So maybe good?
Probably good.
Did you get "The Letter" from Kubota?
I got the impression that once I notified my Dealer that I had received "The Letter" that it would have been a bad idea (liability wise) to even think about running it until they cleared it.
Now that the actual dealer has cleared it, I am in the clear.
If you got the letter, you should probably talk to your dealer. If no letter than probably not a worry but its your call.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Probably good.
Did you get "The Letter" from Kubota?
I got the impression that once I notified my Dealer that I had received "The Letter" that it would have been a bad idea (liability wise) to even think about running it until they cleared it.
Now that the actual dealer has cleared it, I am in the clear.
If you got the letter, you should probably talk to your dealer. If no letter than probably not a worry but its your call.
I got “The Letter” yes. My dealer hasn’t been much help. It’s a small country dealer. The kind of place where the salesman is also the mechanic. I don’t think he spends much time looking at his dealer portal. I told him that I heard from an online forum that it seems Kubota blanketed more serial #s than what was actually affected and that it seemed the transmission serial number would be needed. He said he hasn’t heard anything from Kubota yet, but would let me know when he did. I guess I shouldn’t complain too much about him though. I got third function and a set of rear remotes installed for about the same price as the larger dealer wanted for same tractor without.

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
I got third function and a set of rear remotes installed for about the same price as the larger dealer wanted for same tractor without.
Nice! Since my tractor was "cleared" to be used again my Dealer suggested I keep a copy of our emails just in case Kubota made a mistake on the numbers of the affected units.
I kind of wish Kubota would send me a letter telling me to disregard the first letter:D.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sent a message to Kubota tech support with photos of HST S/N Saturday asking if subject to the notice as I had received the letter. They answered this morning and said not subject to the notice so I now have that in writing. Allegedly there will be a letter coming out to owners of non-effected units that received the first sop use letter.

Rubbing copious amounts of chalkboard type chalk in the number and then gently wiping of with one finger worked well to make the number viable enough for photo.

For some reason I’m not allowed to post a link but it’s under the contact us section of Kubota’s website.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Sent a message to Kubota tech support with photos of HST S/N Saturday asking if subject to the notice as I had received the letter. They answered this morning and said not subject to the notice so I now have that in writing. Allegedly there will be a letter coming out to owners of non-effected units that received the first sop use letter.

Rubbing copious amounts of chalkboard type chalk in the number and then gently wiping of with one finger worked well to make the number viable enough for photo.

For some reason I’m not allowed to post a link but it’s under the contact us section of Kubota’s website.
Thank you! Just did this myself as well! Let's see how long before I get a response.

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Allegedly there will be a letter coming out to owners of non-effected units that received the first sop use letter.

--------------:cool:

ScottyD

Equipment
L3560
Apr 28, 2020
Mississippi
Just wanted to update my recall situation. I have a L3560 bought in November. I got the letter last week. Called my dealer and he had just heard about it. After doing some research, he said Kubota originally thought the problem covered more units than it actually did, and my tractor was cleared! Y’all have no idea how excited I am to know my brand new tractor won’t have to be broken in half. I also feel terrible for those who have to send theirs in. Hopefully Kubota will make it right with them. He said I should get another letter from Kubota saying everything is ok.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Posting from my phone so spell check is messing with me a little and it’s my second post so not sure if I attached the photo correctly but if I did the message I got back from tech support should be attached. Made me feel a lot better closing out my file on this and getting the tractor back to work.

Attachments

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
To update, my L4060 is at the dealer waiting to undergo the repair. I dropped it off this past Monday and took a loaner tractor home. The dealer told me the process is basically split the tractor and tighten a bolt, or check tightness and tighten if necessary. There is some type of kit Kubota will send which probably includes gaskets and o-rings as necessary for the reinstall. There is no time frame for the repair since the kits have not been sent yet.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, other than the labor and delay.

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Made me feel a lot better closing out my file on this and getting the tractor back to work.
:cool:

The response I got from Kubota is somewhat different than what others are posting..... Doesn't look like I'm in the clear :(
I know the dealers were overwhelmed with this but I feel fortunate that mine was willing to come all the way out here at night if need be, to check out the S# and let me know.
Hope you get it resolved soon.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, other than the labor and delay.
:cool: I am glad they gave you a loaner.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
:cool: I am glad they gave you a loaner.
The most awesome part is that the loaner they gave me is my old tractor, traded in last year for this L4060. It hadn't sold yet...an MX series tractor.

Working Dog

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2019
Catoctin
I have a L6060 HSTC that has the issue. It arrived on October 1, 2019 and only has 30 hours on it since we got zero snow in the winter. I've left it basically parked for the last month and used my little B2710 to keep most things moving. Probably should have kept on using it.

The parts came in today and the dealer is picking it up tomorrow. Hope to have it back next week.

Pretty disappointed in the communication from Kubota on this.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The most awesome part is that the loaner they gave me is my old tractor, traded in last year for this L4060. It hadn't sold yet...an MX series tractor.
LOLOLOL. ... Flip and I are likely both laughing/gloating over our good fortune having good ol’ reliable non-Tier M-series that will still be future-loaners because they are so basic very little is susceptible to issues... :p

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I finally got another letter from Kubota saying that after further investigation, my tractor is not included in this campaign. So, it looks like I'm in the clear finally!